On To Marquette | The Boneyard

On To Marquette

Reaction Score
Time to turn the page and focus on Marquette. We beat them already, so this is a payback game for them. The game is in Hartford, so let’s see what kind of crowd shows up. The XL has taken a lot of heat this week. If Im DH, Im going as far as not wanting the guys to even look at a basketball hoop over the next two days that isnt one of the two at the XL Center. The women played there today, and there isnt any events tomorrow. I would hope we are holding practice exclusively at the XL between now and Tuesday. We need to turn that place into a home court advantage.

Reaction Score
We have a tough stretch coming up. The NBE is a tough league. DH needs to shake things up.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I’m expecting two or three more losses in a row from this team. They are trending in this direction and I think they will continue to lose to good teams. UConn has no identity, they are just a group of players that are trying not to lose.

Reaction Score
I really hope that with how the last couple games have gone that Hurley switches it up alittle. If nothing else to just to throw off the scouting report some. The first 4 minutes against Nova the team looked ok until Whaley and Sanogo had the touch fouls called. But I do agree with most that Ajax should try coming off the bench. Either start Hawkins or Gaffney to help Cole. The team is just so limited on offense it’s hard to watch. Defense hasn’t been great either. The team has the potential to be a contender with anyone in the BE but they need to figure something out soon and Hurley need to stop being so stubborn.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I really hope that with how the last couple games have gone that Hurley switches it up alittle. If nothing else to just to throw off the scouting report some. The first 4 minutes against Nova the team looked ok until Whaley and Sanogo had the touch fouls called. But I do agree with most that Ajax should try coming off the bench. Either start Hawkins or Gaffney to help Cole. The team is just so limited on offense it’s hard to watch. Defense hasn’t been great either. The team has the potential to be a contender with anyone in the BE but they need to figure something out soon and Hurley need to stop being so stubborn.
Gaffney is terrible so starting him won’t help. Starting Hawkins is worth a shot.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think we beat Marquette. For whatever reason this is a bad matchup for them and the XL will be rowdy. At this point I think we head into the BET at 20-10.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I think we beat Marquette. For whatever reason this is a bad matchup for them and the XL will be rowdy. At this point I think we head into the BET at 20-10.
If we go 21-11 I do not think we are making the dance.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
No Gaffney. If we’re changing the starting lineup, Hawkins for Martin would be the only one I see or akok for Whaley

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It's going to be interesting now that Marquette is at full strength this time and they'll want revenge. Although it is an away game so that might help us out

Reaction Score
No Gaffney. If we’re changing the starting lineup, Hawkins for Martin would be the only one I see or akok for Whaley
I think Whaley for Adama at the start and Hawkins getting a start. Nothing from Adama the last 3 games in the first half. The team needs a wake up call. Looking for a bounce back from Adama.

Hurley needs to shake things up.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think Whaley for Adama at the start and Hawkins getting a start. Nothing from Adama the last 3 games in the first half. The team needs a wake up call. Looking for a bounce back from Adama.

Hurley needs to shake things up.
You can’t be serious

Reaction Score

Gaffney lol.... he’s dreadful at best. I’m not big on AJ now but his worst is gaffs best. Our options aren’t great!

Reaction Score
It's going to be interesting now that Marquette is at full strength this time and they'll want revenge. Although it is an away game so that might help us out
We hope being at home gives us an advantage. I said in my OP that Im scared of Marquette in a payback game, and I forgot they were not 100% when we played them last. Im also a little worried the XL is officially in the players heads as a negative thing. Say what you want, but we have played some head scratchers in Hartford this season. UMD East Shore, PC, and now Creighton. We played 3 Big East games in Hartford to this point, and we only took 1 out of 3. The only win was Butler. In the two losses vs PC and Creighton, we failed to break 60.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I still don’t understand why Jackson is not constantly cutting towards the rim for dunks. He should never be standing still 25 feet away from the basket.
I think it might be because teams don’t respect us to shoot the three so they clog the lane and double sanogo

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Marquette and Nova at home are in my opinion must wins for UConn to get back into a sense of serious seeding talk
I know everyone wants a tournament invite but to get in with a low seed doesn't excite me at all
A lot of work left to do

We win 19 we get in. We aren’t in the AAC anymore.

Yeah and UConn ran through that league with a butter knife

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
How do you suggest we get more from the Starting five? It’s not a good recipe for success when behind by double figures at half.
Well, first you don't take arguably the best player in the conference out of your starting lineup. He's our only big that has any post moves and the only one you can dump it into to get a basket. If you take anyone out of the starting lineup it would be Martin or Whaley, I would prefer Martin and put Hawkins in. Hawkins in that lineup doesn't have to handle the ball as Cole and Jackson would be the ball handlers.

The starting lineup would be fine if Martin can finish around the rim. We know what Whaley is and we know the same for Jackson. Cole is being asked to do so much. Ball handling, running the offense, three-point shooting, driving to the rim and getting fouled, etc. He has no help. It comes down to our lack of production from our bench and lack of three-point shooting. Also, our offensive sets when we aren't running or able to throw it into Sanogo. Being down double digits and clawing back has to do with Hurley's lack of adjustments and lack of timeouts used. He did use one early in Nova which was good but he's not consistent.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Marquette and Nova at home are in my opinion must wins for UConn to get back into a sense of serious seeding talk
I know everyone wants a tournament invite but to get in with a low seed doesn't excite me at all
A lot of work left to do

We win 19 we get in. We aren’t in the AAC anymore.

Yeah and UConn ran through that league with a butter knife
So you'd rather not make the tourny than get in with a low seed?

Reaction Score
Onto Marquette and hopefully a new starting lineup and rotation after this little skid:

Cole/Hawk/Martin/Whaley/Sanogo

AJ/Polley/Samson off the bench

Diggins needs to get any remaining PT as he (hopefully) still has a bigger role with this program going forward than gaff/akok

IMO this rotation best balances making the tourney this year with getting us to go even further next year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom