On the starters for next year... | The Boneyard

On the starters for next year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm sure some people are already sick of hearing about this and it's just the beginning of the start of next season but...

I think 4 of the 5 spots for starters are already taken - Jefferson, Nurse, Tuck and Stewie. I actually believe the 5th starter could come from any 1 of 4 players - Butler, Williams, Collier, or Samuelson. I know there are pros and cons to each one and I bet there will be interesting and spirited debates over the summer. Honestly I have little idea who I'd "prefer", but the only opinions that matter come from Geno and the staff...
  1. Put Butler out there and you have a legit and skilled back to the basket center and she can bang around in the post with the other teams' center leaving Stewie more free to roam. You also have a kid who has already proven herself on a legit D1 team logging lots of minutes and putting up lots of good numbers. AND she's had 1 whole year to grow and learn without having to use up a year of eligibility.
  2. Put Williams out there and you have an undersized kid who is crazy-athletic and tough as nails and plays like she's on a pogo stick. She might be the most athletic kid UCONN has ever had. I agree she needs to work on her guard skills, but she has 3+ years now to do that.
  3. Put Samuelson out there and (yeah she's a freshman as is Collier) you have a kid who shoots like KML but is 3" taller. She's a kid who led Team USA U17 while nursing strep throat and a sore ankle.
  4. Put Collier out there and you have a do everything 3/4 who has a game that is almost as good as Maya Moore's. She's a kid who was #2 in scoring, #1 in rebounding, #4 in assists, etc etc. on Team USA AND she played up a year on the U18 team with kids like Wilson and Turner (and she had stats at least as good as theirs).
You can't go wrong with any of them. I don't think Chong becomes a starter next year mainly because UCONN would them really have no "really skilled" guard off the bench. I think Saniya improved a lot based on what she showed the staff early in in terms of defense, and I look for another big jump in ability for next year...

I'd like to add a request - and this is just my personal opinion/plea to other fans - can we refrain from "blanket" criticisms of players? I think it's totally fair to comment on the need for Gabby to have a better FT%, or for Courtney to work on fitness, etc. But what makes me cringe are comments like "Player X can't hang with the big dogs", or "Player Y isn't good enough to contribute".

I'm not trying to tell people how to post, just trying to remind them that we are in the midst of the Glory Days for UCONN WCBB and a little "charity" in attitude will make everyone happier (IMHO)...

Reaction Score
I'm sure some people are already sick of hearing about this and it's just the beginning of the start of next season but...

I think 4 of the 5 spots for starters are already taken - Jefferson, Nurse, Tuck and Stewie. I actually believe the 5th starter could come from any 1 of 4 players - Butler, Williams, Collier, or Samuelson. I know there are pros and cons to each one and I bet there will be interesting and spirited debates over the summer. Honestly I have little idea who I'd "prefer", but the only opinions that matter come from Geno and the staff...
  1. Put Butler out there and you have a legit and skilled back to the basket center and she can bang around in the post with the other teams' center leaving Stewie more free to roam. You also have a kid who has already proven herself on a legit D1 team logging lots of minutes and putting up lots of good numbers. AND she's had 1 whole year to grow and learn without having to use up a year of eligibility.
  2. Put Williams out there and you have an undersized kid who is crazy-athletic and tough as nails and plays like she's on a pogo stick. She might be the most athletic kid UCONN has ever had. I agree she needs to work on her guard skills, but she has 3+ years now to do that.
  3. Put Samuelson out there and (yeah she's a freshman as is Collier) you have a kid who shoots like KML but is 3" taller. She's a kid who led Team USA U17 while nursing strep throat and a sore ankle.
  4. Put Collier out there and you have a do everything 3/4 who has a game that is almost as good as Maya Moore's. She's a kid who was #2 in scoring, #1 in rebounding, #4 in assists, etc etc. on Team USA AND she played up a year on the U18 team with kids like Wilson and Turner (and she had stats at least as good as theirs).
You can't go wrong with any of them. I don't think Chong becomes a starter next year mainly because UCONN would them really have no "really skilled" guard off the bench. I think Saniya improved a lot based on what she showed the staff early in in terms of defense, and I look for another big jump in ability for next year...

I'd like to add a request - and this is just my personal opinion/plea to other fans - can we refrain from "blanket" criticisms of players? I think it's totally fair to comment on the need for Gabby to have a better FT%, or for Courtney to work on fitness, etc. But what makes me cringe are comments like "Player X can't hang with the big dogs", or "Player Y isn't good enough to contribute".

I'm not trying to tell people how to post, just trying to remind them that we are in the midst of the Glory Days for UCONN WCBB and a little "charity" in attitude will make everyone happier (IMHO)...
I think the order of probability of your options is 1, 3, 4 ,2. Playing Butler as a big center means a whole different style of play, more like with Dolson. To me this should be the starting lineup, that style of play getting the most minutes and prepping for future years when it will become even more dominant. In any case they will be able to run multiple styles which are way different.

I was wondering how much practice time Natalie has actually been getting in that style of play where she is the "skilled back-to-the-basket center." Since that isn't what UCONN ran this year, I wonder if she really got a lot of work that way in practice....?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think the order of probability of your options is 1, 3, 4 ,2. Playing Butler as a big center means a whole different style of play, more like with Dolson. To me this should be the starting lineup, that style of play getting the most minutes and prepping for future years when it will become even more dominant. In any case they will be able to run multiple styles which are way different.

I was wondering how much practice time Natalie has actually been getting in that style of play where she is the "skilled back-to-the-basket center." Since that isn't what UCONN ran this year, I wonder if she really got a lot of work that way in practice....?

j66: I think she got plenty, though you raise a good point about inter-squad scrimmage. CD and Marisa worked her often with practice players when the "active" squad did other things.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good questions j66. I'm guessing, like Rocky pointed out, that she probably got a bunch of 1 on 1, or post player, practice time with the coaches, but at scrimmage time, given she was not going to be playing, i wouldn't be surprised if she sat out some this past year. Not sure tho - have never seen a practice...

Reaction Score

Am not sure we want an NBA style, back to the basket center clogging the middle particularly given the speed and athleticism of Tuck, Mo, Kia and Stewie. Each of those flour can get to the basket with authority and having Butler play down low brings the opposing center into play. Now if we think Butler can hit the 15-18 footer and have reasonable passing skills then the high post would be a better option for her and would help spread the floor. Absent that, I'd be more inclined to have Collier or Gabby start and bring Butler off the bench to spell Stewie or Tuck.

Reaction Score
Can Chong play at this level at UCONN........IMO, she seems out of her class.......

Reaction Score
Am not sure we want an NBA style, back to the basket center clogging the middle particularly given the speed and athleticism of Tuck, Mo, Kia and Stewie. Each of those flour can get to the basket with authority and having Butler play down low brings the opposing center into play. Now if we think Butler can hit the 15-18 footer and have reasonable passing skills then the high post would be a better option for her and would help spread the floor. Absent that, I'd be more inclined to have Collier or Gabby start and bring Butler off the bench to spell Stewie or Tuck.

It all really depends on how Natalie has and continues to develop. I really like the idea of a dynamic big in the starting rotation., especially if she can step out and hit the short and midrange jumper. She could also set big screens that opposing players won't easily forget. This could be be great for Tuck. If Morgan wants to ISO down low, Butler could rotate to the high post. She's a proven rebounder and I believe I read that she runs the floor well. And as a previous poster mentioned, this could really free up Stewie to move around with a lot more freedom.

On defense, she could stop opposing penetrators and she is a proven rebounder. I love everything about Napheesa and Katie Lou as well so ultimately we'll leave it in the hands of the Maestro.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
I am willing to believe that Geno & Co will figure it all out next year, even if we lose a game early on, a la Stanford this year. Our current players will get better over the off season - some may even regress. Freshman will show their stuff. The "Sorcerer of Storrs" will come up with a plan for #11. I'm not going to trouble myself about it further - that's why Geno gets the big bucks.

Reaction Score
Can Chong play at this level at UCONN...IMO, she seems out of her class..

Not every player is going to be a superstar. Look at Kiah Stokes for example. She had relatively quiet freshman and sophomore seasons, but really picked up her game as an upperclassmen. Chong may be able to find a specific niche on the team like Kiah did on the defensive end of the floor.

Reaction Score

I like those options but think the order of probability is 1-4-2-3

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think that, with Chong, it's a matter of HER believing that she belongs at this level. She has the skill set, the shot, and the speed to play, but she needs to believe in herself. Of course, as always, this is IMHO...

I agree, but have to ask: what will instill that belief. Self doubt is crippling. I watch her slither through a crowd and lay one in or catch and drain a three and say Oh Yes. She absolutely can do there; but the focus on the little things so they get automatic ... not so sure.

Reaction Score
I think the answer to this question depends on which of these three factors plays out, in order:

1. Butler Versatility? Is she a good passer from the high post? Can she shoot a reliable Foul line J? Is she answers those questions, filling the Dolson role is a powerful option, and allows Geno to be insanely flexible off the bench. Shooting? sub KLS. Versatility/Athleticism? Sub NC/GW. Muscle/Hustle? Sub GW/DB. If Butler not up to task, see #2.

2. If Butler not up to that responsibility, she comes off the bench and KLS/NC starts at 3. Again, depending on shooting and/or versatility necessary will depend on who starts.

3. If #1 and #2 don't pan out, or if Geno wants to put the Freshmen in their place early, expect to see GW start at the 3 and bring energy/athleticism along with some extended range/handle.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Eric I though we would at least wait until after tax day to start this thread.
My projections:
5 starters (Butler, KLS, Stewie, Mojeff and Morgan)
2 players (Nurse & Collier) will contend for starting spots, it would not surprise me if they supplant (KLS and/or Butler) as starters.
2 other players (Boykin, Gabby,) will be part of the regular season rotation. This would put the regular rotation at 9- one more than this year
2 players (Courtney & Saniya) will need to make a leap to get to the level directly above. For the record I believe both have the capability.
In big games ND, SC, & Regional Finals & Finals the rotation could shrink to the top 7.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't see KLS starting unless Geno has a huge change of philosophy. Her defensive issues need to be worked with first. Nobody is a bigger fan of Collier than me, but I don't see her starting either. First, she's a freshmen. Second, the staff may see her all-around game as the perfect compliment to KLS as a pairing off the bench.

That leaves Butler and Williams, and my guess has long been that Butler will get first crack. I sorta agree with a couple of others who brought up how good UConn's lineup worked with no true center, using their speed and skill to the utmost advantage. That said, there are benefits to having a player of Butler's size and strength in there too.

In the end, I'm not sure it's going to matter all that much because minutes are going to have to be rationed and I don't see that starter playing starter's minutes anyway.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Rugby short sample size but I was pleasantly surprised how well butler ran the floor and finished in the CoEd scrimmage on first night. She is not exactly lumbering. There was one play where she caught a pass from one of the guys at full speed and finished. Her High school Coach said: "She is very good around the basket and she’s worked hard on her 15-foot jumper. For a big girl, she handles the ball well and she runs the floor. She gets rebounds, fires off an outlet and she’s running up the court. She also looks for the missed layup on the fast break. She runs baseline to baseline.

Reaction Score
Rugby short sample size but I was pleasantly surprised how well butler ran the floor and finished in the CoEd scrimmage on first night. She is not exactly lumbering. There was one play where she caught a pass from one of the guys at full speed and finished. Her High school Coach said: "She is very good around the basket and she’s worked hard on her 15-foot jumper. For a big girl, she handles the ball well and she runs the floor. She gets rebounds, fires off an outlet and she’s running up the court. She also looks for the missed layup on the fast break. She runs baseline to baseline.
Thanks for the encouraging outlook! I'm not questioning Butler's future contributions. Almost every report suggests she will be a major asset for the next three years. My concern is the notion that she plays back to the basket in the low post. We've got four projected starters (Stewie, Mo, Kia and Morgan) who can all beat their defender off the dribble and that makes for easy layups. Having a large defender down low dampens some of that competitive advantage. Not saying Geno
shouldn't run post up plays her way, he will and he should...just saying we could be a lot more effective in the high post if she can pass and stick the j. Don't you just love the offensive flexibility we're going to see next year?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Can Chong play at this level at UCONN...IMO, she seems out of her class..

I think Chong would start for all but 10-12 teams in D1. Duke sure could have used her last year.

Reaction Score

Damn, Eric, I'm still on my April 7 high. But I'll jump in. We have 4 returning starters, and I don't see those faces changing next year. I think the fifth starter mostly depends upon Natalie's progress; has she sufficiently developed those skillsets demanded by Coach to earn Geno's trust? If so, she COULD start, and I think Natalie will get the "first shot" at earning that. She COULD become a game-changing inside post/rebounder/defender/screener/passer- but only time will tell.
- Losing Kaleen (outside shot stretching defenses) leads me to believe Katie Lou COULD fit nicely, but she's a freshman. She must get stronger, her defense must improve, lots of questions yet to be answered.
- If Gabby develops a dependable mid-range jumper and handle- she COULD start. Look how incredibly Moriah improved her outside shot! Gabby may do the same.
- Napheesa has a super all-around game, does everything but shoot 3's. Will she continue to develop her great skill sets and get stronger? She COULD surely get her share of minutes thought I think starting unlikely.
- I would love to see Saniya out there because that would mean she has earned Geno's trust by, among many things, playing great defense. Saniya will have to work really hard and show lots of improvement to get the minutes she wants. OK, enough of that.

- The best thing you said, Eric, (well, you said a lot of best stuff) regarded those blanket criticisms of players X and player Y- OOOPS, did I just do that or were mine sort of legitimate observations? My pet peeve this year was player Z- Kaleena. All those mean, personal attacks on her early in the year, relative to her physique, were relentless, disgusting and ultimately proven, by Kaleena's fantastic performance this year, to be utterly dead wrong crapola.

I will now formally sign the Ericsandiego pledge- no mean, only nice.

Reaction Score
Based on Geno's past lineups, I seriously doubt either of the freshmen will start, at least prior to Christmas, unless there are several injuries. I think Butler is more likely to start but Williams certainly is possible.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Based on Geno's past lineups, I seriously doubt either of the freshmen will start, at least prior to Christmas, unless there are several injuries. I think Butler is more likely to start but Williams certainly is possible.
Like last year when sophomore Chong started the first 2 games, but then freshman Nurse started every game after that? ;)

But seriously I do agree that Butler is the most likely 5th starter. But it's fun to see a lot of different opinions, and reasons for them. Sometimes makes me reconsider my opinions!

Reaction Score
Eric I though we would at least wait until after tax day to start this thread.
My projections:
5 starters (Butler, KLS, Stewie, Mojeff and Morgan)
2 players (Nurse & Collier) will contend for starting spots, it would not surprise me if they supplant (KLS and/or Butler) as starters.
2 other players (Boykin, Gabby,) will be part of the regular season rotation. This would put the regular rotation at 9- one more than this year
2 players (Courtney & Saniya) will need to make a leap to get to the level directly above. For the record I believe both have the capability.
In big games ND, SC, & Regional Finals & Finals the rotation could shrink to the top 7.
It's going to take All-American play by somebody to take Nurse out of the starting line-up

Reaction Score
It's going to take All-American play by somebody to take Nurse out of the starting line-up
Nurse isn't going anywhere. The UCONN women have built their reputation and success on great defense for at least the last few years and she's one of the best defenders on the team. She showed a lot of spark (diving for a loose ball to retain possession) and courage (taking and making a critical three with the game very much on the line, even after missing a few) against ND. I'm sure that made an impression on Geno and staff if there wasn't one there already. To even suggest she won't be starting seems absurd. Decisions aren't always made based on offensive production and frankly, there's nothing wrong with 10 points a game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think that Natalie starts. Why? She has a year of Big east competition, in which she excelled. She also had a full year of UConn practices with and against Kiah, Morgan, Stewie, and Gabby. She'll be the best rebounder on the team, a solid shot blocker and screen setter, and, per Kiah, an offensive weapon with a nice midrange jumper. I'm not sure what her passing skills are, but I can see some high/lows with Stewie and/or Morgan.

I also see other players making major contributions: Gabby will add scoring, defense, and rebounding; Lou will add offense and zone-busting skills; Napheesa will add athleticism and versatility. Other teams won't be able to match up with Napheesa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom