On Campus Arena Plans | Page 4 | The Boneyard

On Campus Arena Plans

Reaction Score
There is some evidence that the new alumni association is having greater success fundraising than its predecessor.

I'd like to think that AD Dave isn't just putting this request for interest out there for fun; you have to figure he has some idea about where the funding for this project will come from.

The alumni association was never a fund raising operation. The Foundation is responsible for fundraising.

Reaction Score

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Senate Overwhelmingly Backs Bipartisan State Budget, House Votes Later Thursday

>>>The city of Hartford would also be directed to find a buyer for the beleaguered XL Center, a tough sell considering the work needed on the arena.<<<

Not much left to say about this situation...UConn has to protect their own interest/brand right now above all else.
completely agree. In addition to the new hockey arena I hope they're already studying how to modernize Gampel. Need to add in some "luxury" seating in addition to the new concourse expansions

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
completely agree. In addition to the new hockey arena I hope they're already studying how to modernize Gampel. Need to add in some "luxury" seating in addition to the new concourse expansions
A new concourse is part of the UConn Master Plan. Basically they are just going to build it around the exterior of the existing building. I haven't seen anything about luxury seating.

Reaction Score
Got it, modest as you define yet even a moderately estimated $35M is not just a large amount of money for a public university in 2017 (versus Quinnipiac's private school fundraising a decade+ ago). Based on today's Connecticut state economic and political climate, UConn's historical fundraising limitations, UConn's overall conference and resulting media contract challenges, and building non-UConn affiliated opposition to things UConn, prospects of raising $35M's not just a subjective large amount of money. It's a sh|t load of money!
I posted on another thread about the XL Center and read with interest this thread about potential renovation of UCONN'S on campus hockey arena.

Providence College recently renovated Schneider Arena in 2014 for approximately $20 million. They added 30,000 sq. ft. to the existing arena, mainly in the form of 5 new luxury suites, coaches offices, weight rooms, a new entrance with a Hall of Fame, and an updated alumni room to drink beer between periods. The also replaced ice making infrastructure, new boards, seats, etc. The capacity is around 3,000.
With the XL Center in limbo along with CT finances it may be prudent to push for the new/renovated arena before it is too late. Having it on campus means many students to draw from for spectators. PC's rink also gets constant use from H.S championship events as well as the Intrumurals. Having dual rinks helps with scheduling. Since UConn has a Master Plan in place they can involve other sports as well. The new Schneider Arena has an office and area devoted to Men's Lacrosse, for example.

Reaction Score
A new concourse is part of the UConn Master Plan. Basically they are just going to build it around the exterior of the existing building. I haven't seen anything about luxury seating.

That is correct for now regarding luxury seating; the concourse upgrade will be some fan experience stuff, concessions with a big upgrade for the media. The structure inside the Dome does not really lend it self to incorporate luxury seating. Some could be gained by getting rid of the upper sidewalls on the sideline sides of the court. We are essentially "landlocked" because of the type of structure we have, similar to the issues that the Penguins faced in the old Civic Arena in Pittsburgh. When you talk about adding luxury seating to the current structure to the degree to make it financially feasible it is probably more cost feasible to take down Gampel & build new as was done it Pittsburgh. To me, it makes more sense to build a new multi-use facility that can be used for basketball, ice hockey, volleyball, concerts & other such events. There are already facilities in place that allow for practice on-campus while a new facility is being built. Play all home games in the XL, Mohegan Sun, Bridgeport, for a year or so while the new joint is being built. Note that 11 million has been invested into Gampel as is the past two years for the interior lighting upgrade & roof/dome upgrade although a significant rebate of as much as 40% of the total cost was received from EverS0urce for the LED energy efficient lighting system

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hockey East By-Laws:
http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/pdf/M & W BY-LAWS/Revised Men's By-Laws September 19.pdf

Section Dealing with Specifics on facilities. UConn falls into the 4000 seat capacity category because that was instituted before they became a member:

1. B. Facilities

• Minimum seating capacity 4000 with 20% of capacity being chair-back seats. Current HEA members must have a minimum capacity of 2000 with 20% of capacity being chair-back seats.

• Hockey East logo prominently displayed in the facility and on the ice surface. Logo size to be consistent with others in the facility.

• Visiting team locker room must be a minimum of 500 sf (not including showers and toi- lets) and able to accommodate student-athletes, staff, and equipment.
    • Locker room(s) with private shower and toilet to accommodate game of cials
    • Game time-clock connected directly to the scoreboard clock in home, visitors, and of- cials locker rooms

• Locker rooms equipped with dry erase boards and markers MEN’S HOCKEY EAST BY-LAWS — PAGE 6
• Media/TV capability – suf cient electrical power and number of outlets in media locations for the operation and transmission of television, radio broadcasts, and for the operation of trans- mission equipment and computer terminals used by the media
• A minimum of 110 vertical foot candles of light evenly balanced over the entire ice surface • Press box to comfortably accommodate print and electronic working media, visiting team coaches, and of cials.

• 110 –volt electrical outlets with one outlet for every two seats in the press box
• Power requirements for television production of 200 amps, 3-phase to the trucks; of 150 amps, 3-phase combined to the satellite links and of 150 amps, 3-phase to the announcers’ posi- tion.

• De ned media area for post-game interviews

• High-speed data lines and/or wireless internet capability

• Spectator amenities/services including clean and well presented lobby and display areas

• Clean and suf cient restroom areas for capacity crowds

• Multiple concessions areas and area for sale of team/league merchandise

Reaction Score
Hockey East By-Laws:
http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/pdf/M & W BY-LAWS/Revised Men's By-Laws September 19.pdf

Section Dealing with Specifics on facilities. UConn falls into the 4000 seat capacity category because that was instituted before they became a member:
  1. B. Facilities

• Minimum seating capacity 4000 with 20% of capacity being chair-back seats. Current HEA members must have a minimum capacity of 2000 with 20% of capacity being chair-back seats.
Clearly someone knows something about what HE will accept based on question and subsequent answer?

Reaction Score
Clearly someone knows something about what HE will accept based on question and subsequent answer?
Maybe...maybe not...with ND gone it may be easier to get under the required 4000 capacity...just figured I would put the HE by-laws up to show what the league requirements are. Personally I'd like to see 4500 seats with SRO room on top of that. 4000 with SRO room would be fine

Reaction Score
Nice find - no SRO to meet the 3500 capacity and timeline were interesting.
IMHO, 3,500 seats still seems too small. Hopefully, UConn doesn't "Gampel" the new arena. In other words, build a size-constrained arena with limited to no potential for future expansion. Great to learn of some progress!

Reaction Score
Bylaws say 4,000.

Why are we going for 3,500?

I've re-read thread and I think we all agree 3,500 is not enough.

Still way too early and I don't know all the details, but I hope this isn't a budget constraint issue or "small time" decision.

I want the best for UConn hockey.

Reaction Score
My only request with the new arena, 4,000 (give or take) actual seats, not bleachers. If any one with influence is reading this, NO BLEACHERS.

Reaction Score
IMHO, 3,500 seats still seems too small. Hopefully, UConn doesn't "Gampel" the new arena. In other words, build a size-constrained arena with limited to no potential for future expansion. Great to learn of some progress!
This time around I don't think there is any undue pressure coming from the City of Hartford to the state to protect the XL Center like there was with Gampel.

Reaction Score
Bylaws say 4,000.

Why are we going for 3,500?

I've re-read thread and I think we all agree 3,500 is not enough.

Still way too early and I don't know all the details, but I hope this isn't a budget constraint issue or "small time" decision.

I want the best for UConn hockey.
I agree 100%...one thing we can all agree on is this...a facility upgrade is definitely needed for Cav to recruit against the top teams in HE and schools like QU. This project will put UConn on a equal playing field with those schools and then it's put up or shut up time for Cav...no more excuses about a facility. I think he will put up...as he has done a pretty good job given what he has. I also think that you will see them play very few games at the XL Center...the crowds have seem to stabilized and attendance is what it is. It will also help get the students there as well.

Reaction Score
This is what RIT recently built, which size wise is about what I think we should do. Weight room and other "Huskies of Honor" ideas.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
http://www.mansfieldct.gov/filestorage/1904/5335/2212/20171212_agenda.pdf

The Hockey Arena RFEI was on this afternoon University/Town Committee agenda. Hopefully this is a good sign.
RFEI -Request for Environment Impact?

Anyway, I'd be very happy with this:

800px-Panoramic_View_of_the_Gene_Polisseni_Center.JPG

Gene Polisseni Center $30M - $40M price tag. Naming rights were sold for like $4.5M 4,500 capacity.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom