On Campus Arena Plans | Page 2 | The Boneyard

On Campus Arena Plans

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Connecticut has a lot of rich people and lots of hockey fans and lots of rich people who are hockey fans.

If the athletic department plays this right, they can cobble together some serious dough

Reactions: jho
Reaction Score
Didn't QU expand their place?
Nope, it was built brand new. They might've added a few of those luxury seats up in the corner at a later date, but there was no significant addition and there couldn't be without breaking through the concrete exterior walls. In fact, there isn't a single Hockey East arena that could be meaningfully expanded (not renovated like at Lowell, adding some boxes, or adding some extra chairs/SRO here and there) without breaking through an exterior wall.

Reaction Score
As stated in a previous thread, for about 82 million we could get a nice 7,800 seat hockey arena and practice facilities similar to the University of Nebraska, Omaha. If we're going to do this, lets do it right.
Acknowledging CT's construction and related costs likely significantly exceed those in Omaha, luckily UConn can potentially keep Freitas, only build an arena roughly half the size of UNO's main arena, and wouldn't need the UNO complex's extra ice surface used for practice and community purposes.

Reaction Score
UConn could easily replicate QU's arena with about 5 or 6 more rows to bring capacity to ~4-4,500 at a very modest price.

Reaction Score
Make the field house into a Gutterson-like rink

I said this tongue-in-cheek.

But the more I think about it, the more I like it.

Center of campus and we could probably do it for a decent price.

The fact that there is UConn sports history in the building is just a cherry on top.

Attachments

• IMG_3774.JPG
    IMG_3774.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 142

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

The fact that there is UConn sports history in the building is just a cherry on top.

I...actually love this idea...but I don't think the Field House is tall enough. What it'd cost to raise the roof would probably make it pointless. But the location itself wouldn't be a bad site, considering the replacement is being built.

Reaction Score
The proposal states a 3,500 seat arena. Hockey East states minimum 4,000. Why the difference? Would HE approve this? Just an opinion but if the XL Center doesn't get done, shouldn't UConn have a contingency plan to bump it up a bit? I understand money is tight, but I'm leaning towards the notion of go big or go home or if you're gonna do it, do it right. Granted it doesn't have to be Pegula's Palace but I always felt 5,000 was a good number. Just seems 3,500 is under-selling us and according to HE by-laws, doesn't meet the minimum.

B. Facilities • Minimum seating capacity 4000 with 20% of capacity being chair-back seats. Current HEA members must have a minimum capacity of 2000 with 20% of capacity being chair-back seats. • Hockey East logo prominently displayed in the facility and on the ice surface. Logo size to be consistent with others in the facility. • Visiting team locker room must be a minimum of 500 sf (not including showers and toilets) and able to accommodate student-athletes, staff, and equipment. • Locker room(s) with private shower and toilet to accommodate game officials • Game time-clock connected directly to the scoreboard clock in home, visitors, and officials locker rooms • Locker rooms equipped with dry erase boards and markers

Reaction Score
I...actually love this idea...but I don't think the Field House is tall enough. What it'd cost to raise the roof would probably make it pointless. But the location itself wouldn't be a bad site, considering the replacement is being built.

I do now know for sure, but I can't imagine the field house roof is that much lower than Freitas'

Reaction Score
  • The proposal states a 3,500 seat arena. Hockey East states minimum 4,000. Why the difference? Would HE approve this? Just an opinion but if the XL Center doesn't get done, shouldn't UConn have a contingency plan to bump it up a bit? I understand money is tight, but I'm leaning towards the notion of go big or go home or if you're gonna do it, do it right. Granted it doesn't have to be Pegula's Palace but I always felt 5,000 was a good number. Just seems 3,500 is under-selling us and according to HE by-laws, doesn't meet the minimum.
B. Facilities • Minimum seating capacity 4000 with 20% of capacity being chair-back seats. Current HEA members must have a minimum capacity of 2000 with 20% of capacity being chair-back seats. • Hockey East logo prominently displayed in the facility and on the ice surface. Logo size to be consistent with others in the facility. • Visiting team locker room must be a minimum of 500 sf (not including showers and toilets) and able to accommodate student-athletes, staff, and equipment. • Locker room(s) with private shower and toilet to accommodate game officials • Game time-clock connected directly to the scoreboard clock in home, visitors, and officials locker rooms • Locker rooms equipped with dry erase boards and markers

Am I reading the proposal wrong or is it just saying the seating needs to be a minimum of 3500 seats?

Reaction Score
Am I reading the proposal wrong or is it just saying the seating needs to be a minimum of 3500 seats?
The proposal states a minimum of 3,500. However HE says minimum 4,000. I'm just confused why UConn wouldn't request a bid for the HE minimum of 4,000.

Reaction Score
The proposal states a minimum of 3,500. However HE says minimum 4,000. I'm just confused why UConn wouldn't request a bid for the HE minimum of 4,000.
If you read it closely it says a minimum of 3500 seats BUT also states that it must meet all Hockey East and NCAA hockey requirements.

Reaction Score
If you read it closely it says a minimum of 3500 seats BUT also states that it must meet all Hockey East and NCAA hockey requirements.
Only 8 Men's games a year... seems a bit steep for only 8 games a year.

Reaction Score
Only 8 Men's games a year... seems a bit steep for only 8 games a year.
Women will also play every home game there, plus any HE playoff games...not just a men's hockey facility. Same with the practice facility. If they are smart they will also allow the CIAC to play the state HS finals there as well...they used to play them at the Civic Center.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

The idea does kind of grow on you, doesn't it? IIRC the roof was high enough. Still have parking and locker room issues. But if you are gutting it, you should be able to do the locker room and you could use the garage across from Gampel. You'd also have to update the HVAC. But the location would be perfect.
You should email AD Dave with idea. It's worth considering it.

Here's Quinny's arena. It's a little small for our needs.
IMG_0568.JPG

Reaction Score
The idea does kind of grow on you, doesn't it? IIRC the roof was high enough. Still have parking and locker room issues. But if you are gutting it, you should be able to do the locker room and you could use the garage across from Gampel. You'd also have to update the HVAC. But the location would be perfect.

IMG_0568.JPG

If the roof line isn't high enough BUT they can go down without any issue problem is solved. Watched may a men's game there as a young lad...would be a cool place that's for sure. They may have to replace the facility though with something for track and the other sports that utilize that space.

Reaction Score

High Point Solutions Arena maxes out @ 4k w/ SRO. Add a few more rows and it's more than sufficient and likely more cost effective.

CL82

Reaction Score
Watched may a men's game there as a young lad...would be a cool place that's for sure.
Feel the same way. It would be very cool to walk through the same doors to see a hockey game.

CL82

Reaction Score
High Point Solutions Arena maxes out @ 4k w/ SRO. Add a few more rows and it's more than sufficient and likely more cost effective.
Agree. 4k seating with standing room is the minimum, in my opinion. I'd like to see us not repeat the same mistake we made with Gampel and add a concourse.

Reaction Score
I also don't know that the Field House's structure is literally wide enough to be able to support the width of a rink and the stands on either side. This is in addition to the roof not being tall enough. That said, from a site perspective, it makes a lot of sense and knocking down Greer would probably not be very expensive.

CL82

Reaction Score
UConn Master Plan
Take a look at page 82/83 of the Master Plan (87 & 88 of the PDF.)
Put in a nice plaza in between Gampel and Werth and the new arena. It would look very attractive and cohesive.

That said, the RFB went out. They aren't changing plans unless it was very cost effective, which I doubt it would be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow, this was probably the most well received post I've ever had on the boneyard.

Having said that, it probably won't happen but it was an interesting thought experiment.

I just want them to do this right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom