On Campus Arena Plans | Page 3 | The Boneyard

On Campus Arena Plans

Reaction Score
UConn could easily replicate QU's arena with about 5 or 6 more rows to bring capacity to ~4-4,500 at a very modest price.
Perhaps, but the latter likely depends on one's definition. How does @brasssbonanzaa define "very modest price"? Whether whatever that sum can be summoned up via arena-targeted donations, possible revenue bonds, etc. may be the biggest current challenge.

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but the latter likely depends on one's definition. How does @brasssbonanzaa define "very modest price"? Whether whatever that sum can be summoned up via arena-targeted donations, possible revenue bonds, etc. may be the biggest current challenge.
Modest as compared to other recent arena builds. QU's arena does a nice job of being modern but fairly bare bones. I don't know how much it cost exactly since it was built in tandem with the basketball arena, but at $52M in total for both, that's half of what BU's arena cost, below Omaha's, PSU's, and ND's. I'd ballpark it at around $35M. Obviously a large amount of money, but modest compared to what others have cost.

Reaction Score
Modest as compared to other recent arena builds. QU's arena does a nice job of being modern but fairly bare bones. I don't know how much it cost exactly since it was built in tandem with the basketball arena, but at $52M in total for both, that's half of what BU's arena cost, below Omaha's, PSU's, and ND's. I'd ballpark it at around $35M. Obviously a large amount of money, but modest compared to what others have cost.

Yup... and when packed it’s a great atmosphere and loud.

Reaction Score
If the roof line isn't high enough BUT they can go down without any issue problem is solved. Watched may a men's game there as a young lad...would be a cool place that's for sure. They may have to replace the facility though with something for track and the other sports that utilize that space.

I don't know much about the field house, but if there isn't a basement then the existing building foundation footings will be approximately 4 feet below the ground surface. Therefore, you can't go much deeper without undermining the existing building footings (which is a bad thing). You can underpin the existing foundation footings (i.e. lower the existing footings) but that will cost significant $$$$ IMO. Anything is possible, but going deeper is not as simple as it sounds.

Reaction Score
I don't know much about the field house, but if there isn't a basement then the existing building foundation footings will be approximately 4 feet below the ground surface. Therefore, you can't go much deeper without undermining the existing building footings (which is a bad thing). You can underpin the existing foundation footings (i.e. lower the existing footings) but that will cost significant $$$$ IMO. Anything is possible, but going deeper is not as simple as it sounds.
I have been to way too many buildings in Manhattan that have started to or were in the process of failing due to under pinning....If there isn't a safe way to do it then I say no way.

jho

Reaction Score
835F4E33-568A-4BE0-9C4E-6027AE55DC91.jpeg
UVM’s Gunderson Fieldhouse (capacity 4,035) has a similar layout to the UConn Fieldhouse with 10-12 rows on each side of the ice and 18-20 rows behind the goals but unfortunately, the dimensions of our Fieldhouse would only permit 6-8 rows of seating on each side of the ice. While you may be able to have around 15 rows behind each goal, I doubt that you get more than 2,500 seats. It would be difficult to expand on either side given the steel supporting the roof curves all the way down to the floor. Also, forget about a Gampel retrofit because a 200 x 85 ice seat won’t fit on the current floor. Even if you could squeeze it in by losing the lower level seats in each end, you’d have sightlines worse than the Barclays Center for hockey. You’d also have to figure out how to get a Zamboni into the lower level since there are no ramps - an intentional design element to prevent Gampel from competing with the Hartford Civic Center for concerts.

Reaction Score
Got it, modest as you define yet even a moderately estimated $35M is not just a large amount of money for a public university in 2017 (versus Quinnipiac's private school fundraising a decade+ ago). Based on today's Connecticut state economic and political climate, UConn's historical fundraising limitations, UConn's overall conference and resulting media contract challenges, and building non-UConn affiliated opposition to things UConn, prospects of raising $35M's not just a subjective large amount of money. It's a sh|t load of money!

Reaction Score
Got it, modest as you define yet even a moderately estimated $35M is not just a large amount of money for a public university in 2017 (versus Quinnipiac's private school fundraising a decade+ ago). Based on today's Connecticut state economic and political climate, UConn's historical fundraising limitations, UConn's overall conference and resulting media contract challenges, and building non-UConn affiliated opposition to things UConn, prospects of raising $35M's not just a subjective large amount of money. It's a sh|t load of money!

There is some evidence that the new alumni association is having greater success fundraising than its predecessor.

I'd like to think that AD Dave isn't just putting this request for interest out there for fun; you have to figure he has some idea about where the funding for this project will come from.

Reaction Score
There is some evidence that the new alumni association is having greater success fundraising than its predecessor.

I'd like to think that AD Dave isn't just putting this request for interest out there for fun; you have to figure he has some idea about where the funding for this project will come from.
Some greater fundraising success, yes. However, sufficient to surprisingly have to cover $40-something million (or, even a good chunk) much sooner than projected?

While you may
have to figure AD Dave has some idea about where the funding will arise, that also may be a wishful stretch. Or, perhaps it's a backs-against-the-wall, throwing a lot more cards at the big-time challenge and potentially hopeful opportunity.

Reaction Score
Some greater fundraising success, yes. However, sufficient to surprisingly have to cover $40-something million (or, even a good chunk) much sooner than projected?

While you may
have to figure AD Dave has some idea about where the funding will arise, that also may be a wishful stretch. Or, perhaps it's a backs-against-the-wall, throwing a lot more cards at the big-time challenge and potentially hopeful opportunity.

You also have to add that a “promissory note” or term of league admittance is coming due as well. Benedict was pretty clear in the Jacobs article posted in this thread that they needed shovels in the ground and facility done by 2019 as terms of the acceptance/upgrade into HE but that HE has given them an extension. I’m sure this is also part of that the extension Deal.

jho

Reaction Score
Is this just to the north of Mansfield Supply? - I think that's a great spot if it is.
Yes. The portion of the parcel that fronts on 195 is just north of Mansfield Supply.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think I'd rather see it near Freitas (or better yet at @Guapo's field house site, which I understand won't happen.) I prefer to cluster sports facilities both ascetically and because there is some efficiency in having the parking lots in the same area for overlap and over flow. Penn State comes to mind as a school that does this well.

Last edited:

jho

Reaction Score
I think I'd rather see it near Freitas (or better yet at @Guapo's field house site, which I understand won't happen.) I prefer to cluster sports facilities both ascetically and because there is some efficiency in having the parking lots in the same area for overlap and over flow. Penn State comes to mind as a school that does this well.
Agree that a centrally located site is preferable, however I believe that UConn is putting out the Tech Park parcel in an attempt to finance a hockey arena as part of a larger privately financed, mixed use development. They’re dangling 25.8 acres of university property to developers to have them include an arena into a mixed used development. The sweetener, property that can accommodate approximately 130,000 sq. ft. of development. The Freitas site has no potential for private sector development - other than an ice arena - so I doubt it will attract as much interest unless we have some rich alumnus that wants an arena named after themselves, a la Terry Pegula at Penn State.

Reaction Score
You also have to add that a “promissory note” or term of league admittance is coming due as well. Benedict was pretty clear in the Jacobs article posted in this thread that they needed shovels in the ground and facility done by 2019 ...
Acknowledged, yet would be surprised if HE would not work with UConn on another undesired, possible extension. Not so good faith and all in particular on Molloy's and the state legislature's part and consequently UConn, but with concrete design, construction, and fundraising/financing plans in place I highly doubt HE would boot the Huskies if an arena is not operational by 2019. Could be ...

Reaction Score
Acknowledged, yet would be surprised if HE would not work with UConn on another undesired, possible extension. Not so good faith and all in particular on Molloy's and the state legislature's part and consequently UConn, but with concrete design, construction, and fundraising/financing plans in place I highly doubt HE would boot the Huskies if an arena is not operational by 2019. Could be ...
Good faith will be shown in that case by plans, location and fundraising efforts. If it was just lip service ..well that’s a whole other story.

Reaction Score
Yes, it's a lot of money in general but if we're talking about building an arena, that sum of money has been accepted by the university as needing to be spent. If they've put out an RFP they've already accepted a very large sum of money would need to be spent to build it. My point is UConn can build an arena of requisite size that's comparatively less expensive than others. How they would get the money, I don't know - and you're right the state's in awful shape. But while Hockey East is more than willing to work with UConn playing games at XL longer than anticipated, if XL shuts down due to state funding and UConn is forced to play at Freitas, that would NOT be a long or short term solution. Not to mention UConn's recruiting would get absolutely pillaged.

Reaction Score
Yes, it's a lot of money in general ... How they would get the money, I don't know ... play at Freitas, that would NOT be a long or short term solution ... recruiting would get absolutely pillaged.
Indeed, with particular emphasis on UConn's historical challenges sourcing large donations let alone the potentially required sh|t load of money in record time. For your entirely reasonable latter point, sure hope some big swinging ball sacks step up for the face off.

Reaction Score
Is there anyone "in the know" about the process.
How much has been raised so far. Also, any type of threshold that allows construction to start even if the total amount hasn't been raised yet?

Reaction Score
Not an insider or anything but I still think AD Dave has a plan.

I know UTC is heavily invested in the tech park.

Maybe UTC fronts a decent amount of money for "The Rink at UTC Tech Park" or something.

(This is just one random idea off the top of my head)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe UTC fronts a decent amount of money for "The Rink at UTC Tech Park" or something.

(This is just one random idea off the top of my head)
Think you went to well one too many times buddy. ;)

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if it's related or not, but going to the last few soccer games, I've noticed those black fiberoptic lines across numerous roadway locations assuming they're counting daily traffic passing over those lines.

Maybe someone doing a traffic study for arena?

Off the top of my head, I noticed them in my travels on 195, Baxter Rd, hunting lodge rd, and separatist. Not sure if I actually saw them on JC Way.

In terms of capacity....

I know it says "minimum" 3,500.

Gotta go more than that and have as many chairbacks as you can.

Have to make it where the 8+ games on campus and XL games average more together than the other arenas in Hockey East.

Has to be >4K.

UConn probably has around 3,000 Season ticket holders. The amount no longer Season ticket holders on campus and the Season ticket holders gained on campus will be around even and wash out. More students will go, but won't pay full ticket price. Most likely free

Want to make it a hard ticket, but most if not all (not all) top tier BC, BU etc games will be @ XL.

Mostly will be PC, Maine, UMass, maybe a UNH, UVM game and the rest OOC.

Don't skimp. Go all out.
Make it unique and not cookie cutter

Gotta be LOUD. Get professional acoustics people for the design.

Better concessions than dogs and pretzels. Maybe share w/ soccer.

Maybe have a private donor area that services booze/beer like QU arena.

I got an email saying the new ice lounge @ XL proceeds will go the hockey program.

Maybe this is a revenue stream for on campus rink or to help off set rent costs of XL Rink?

150 spots x $350 = $52,500

May only use for 2nd period, but may consider getting a spot if it helps w/ rink cost and have a decent buffet and a private cash bar in lounge.

Reaction Score
If an RFP has been sent out this fast and they're considering building it this fast, it has to be built with the mindset of XL closing. Whether it does or not, who knows, but they can't build it to only serve as a secondary arena. That can still be done at the aforementioned "modest" price.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if it's related or not, but going to the last few soccer games, I've noticed those black fiberoptic lines across numerous roadway locations assuming they're counting daily traffic passing over those lines.

Maybe someone doing a traffic study for arena?

Off the top of my head, I noticed them in my travels on 195, Baxter Rd, hunting lodge rd, and separatist. Not sure if I actually saw them on JC Way.

In terms of capacity....

I know it says "minimum" 3,500.

Gotta go more than that and have as many chairbacks as you can.

Have to make it where the 8+ games on campus and XL games average more together than the other arenas in Hockey East.

Has to be >4K.

UConn probably has around 3,000 Season ticket holders. The amount no longer Season ticket holders on campus and the Season ticket holders gained on campus will be around even and wash out. More students will go, but won't pay full ticket price. Most likely free

Want to make it a hard ticket, but most if not all (not all) top tier BC, BU etc games will be @ XL.

Mostly will be PC, Maine, UMass, maybe a UNH, UVM game and the rest OOC.

Don't skimp. Go all out.
Make it unique and not cookie cutter

Gotta be LOUD. Get professional acoustics people for the design.

Better concessions than dogs and pretzels. Maybe share w/ soccer.

Maybe have a private donor area that services booze/beer like QU arena.

I got an email saying the new ice lounge @ XL proceeds will go the hockey program.

Maybe this is a revenue stream for on campus rink or to help off set rent costs of XL Rink?

150 spots x $350 = $52,500

May only use for 2nd period, but may consider getting a spot if it helps w/ rink cost and have a decent buffet and a private cash bar in lounge.

Good post.

As far as scheduling, I hope it's more of a XL/Gampel split where one or two top teir teams plays on campus each season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom