"OMG that pass!" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"OMG that pass!"

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The score went from 66 to 69 on the play. Crystal missed one of the FTs. Someone even commented in chat that ESPN only counted the FT, and then they corrected the score and added two more points, and the man announcing the game stated the ruling on why Lou's basket would count.
Perhaps you’re correct, but I remember looking at the score line. It remained at 66, and then went to 67 as Crystal hit 1 of 2 ft’s. I did not see it then go to 69.

Reaction Score
While Crystal's play was a Highlight pass, shouldn't the pass have gone to Christyn who was to her right and wide open for a layup? It would have been an easier pass and also easier layup for Christyn. The pass to KLS was riskier and KLS making the basket was also lower then Christyn's attempt would have been.

agree, the pass should have gone to Christyn. she is not Crystal's early option on offense; maybe a Tenn. - Arkansas thing.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Perhaps you’re correct, but I remember looking at the score line. It remained at 66, and then went to 67 as Crystal hit 1 of 2 ft’s. I did not see it then go to 69.
When I rewatched the game I finally saw the score change to 69. It took a while for the score on the tv to change.

Reaction Score
why do people love to argue rather than check things. Go to ESPN play by play, which I assume is official. It says Lou got a basket for 2. On whether it should count, rather than shouting at each other, could someone who actually knows explain the rule. If it were on the shooter it would presumably be a continuation. Can you have continuation when someone else is fouled while the shooter is in the motion of shooting? Or did the refs rule the shot was released before the foul. Or does the rule say if the shooter has started "in the act" than a later foul on someone else does not negate the shot. Please cite the rule number. If you don't know the source of the rule, please don't reply with your.

Reaction Score
why do people love to argue rather than check things. Go to ESPN play by play, which I assume is official. It says Lou got a basket for 2. On whether it should count, rather than shouting at each other, could someone who actually knows explain the rule. If it were on the shooter it would presumably be a continuation. Can you have continuation when someone else is fouled while the shooter is in the motion of shooting? Or did the refs rule the shot was released before the foul. Or does the rule say if the shooter has started "in the act" than a later foul on someone else does not negate the shot. Please cite the rule number. If you don't know the source of the rule, please don't reply with your.
Once Lou “gathered” the ball (ref term), she was in the act of shooting since she was already stepping to the basket and did not dribble before the shot. The refs ruled that she had done that before the blocking foul occurred; thus, the basket counted. In the replay, however, the blocking foul seems to have taken place before she received the pass. In real time, though, it would have been impossible for the officials to make that determination. IMO, they should have consulted the replay before making the call.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It was indeed a block, but there is no way that basket should have counted, even in the NBA. The block occurred before the ball reached Lou’s hands. Of course, it didn’t matter; UConn was already in complete control.
Actually after the refs had a conference they waved off the basket. If you look at the score when the play was developing it was at 66 points and with Crystal Dangerfield hitting only one of two free throws it ended up at 67.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK, I’ve gone back and watched the entire sequence and I was incorrect. The ref under the basket immediately signaled 2 pts and a blocking foul. She then had a mini-conference with the other officials and the call was confirmed. The onscreen scoreboard was not updated until UConn’s next possession, after Crystal’s foul shot and after SC’s subsequent possession. Bottom line - basket for Lou, assist and 1/2 FT’s for Crystal.

One final observation on the play. Geno gave Crystal a big, enthusiastic pat on the back, and Crystal can be seen telling Lou, through a big smile, “I knew you were there.”

Showtime!!!

Reaction Score
agree, the pass should have gone to Christyn. she is not Crystal's early option on offense; maybe a Tenn. - Arkansas thing.
Play scared my son who didn't expect me to leap out of chair and cheer. After the review, felt UConn was lucky it wasn't offensive foul, no points and SC got ball. Looked good until you realized Christyn was wide open. Pretty but not smart.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The basket did not count. At first one ref signaled that the basket was good and that Crystal was fouled after Lou’s shot. It was a definite blocking foul on Cooper. The announcers picked up on that, but the basket was eventually waved off, and Crystal ended up on the foul line. The announcers never corrected their call.
The basket counted, it took awhile for the TV scoreboard to add it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There was another impressive pass: Megatron grabbed a rebound, saw Lou ahead of the field, and snapped a 2-hand over-the-head pass about three-quarters court to the streaking Lou. Easy bucket! Meg is very strong!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There was another impressive pass: Megatron grabbed a rebound, saw Lou ahead of the field, and snapped a 2-hand over-the-head pass about three-quarters court to the streaking Lou. Easy bucket! Meg is very strong!

Geno made a point at post game that Meg is a much better passer than most people think and it allows
us to use the high post more sets more and more. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno made a point at post game that Meg is a much better passer than most people think and it allows
us to use the high post more sets more and more. :)
Geno said both Pheesa and Meg are improved passers. As a result, the team passing is improving. I don't think Pheesa ever had 100 assists in a season, but she will this year. Lou will exceed 100, and Crystal should surpass 200.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Geno said both Pheesa and Meg are improved passers. As a result, the team passing is improving. I don't think Pheesa ever had 100 assists in a season, but she will this year. Lou will exceed 100, and Crystal should surpass 200.

Napheesa had 122 assists last season. She had 83 as a sophomore and 34 as a freshman. :)

Pheesa sits at 90 assists this season.

Reaction Score
Play scared my son who didn't expect me to leap out of chair and cheer. After the review, felt UConn was lucky it wasn't offensive foul, no points and SC got ball. Looked good until you realized Christyn was wide open. Pretty but not smart.
Sometimes you just gotta go with pretty !

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
A'ja even admitted in the smack talk that it was a block after they reviewed the replay. She said that she leaned to her left and into Crystal Dangerfield making it a block in lieu of a charge.

Reaction Score
I figure Crystal threw that pass because she figured someone would be there..... where else would they be? The other option is she is an alien like Magic Johnson and has at least ten eyes that give her 360 degree vision.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Napheesa had 122 assists last season. She had 83 as a sophomore and 34 as a freshman. :)

Pheesa sits at 90 assists this season.
Ok, so Phee has had jumps each year. Thanks!

I'd like to see her go past 122 this year.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Seriously, can someone explain why the foul was called as a block on Te’a Cooper rather than a charge on Crystal? Looking at the replay, Cooper had both feet planted at the moment of contact, and both of Cooper’s feet were outside the restricted area. I have noticed that a lot of these plays that are near but not in the restricted area get called as blocks even when they seem to be charging fouls under the rules.
In real time I see what you see. But in slow motion Cooper leans to her left and into Crystal Dangerfield. And Lou has the ball gathered so she gets the hoop. Could have called off the basket , since the timing was very close, but it was definitely a block . Any way I will take it when it goes our way, as it just as often does not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom