Omar | The Boneyard

Omar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know this has been talked about, but how awesome is it that Omar is playing well again. So happy for him. Many thought he'd transfer, but he's stayed the course through rough times physically and mentally. Remember... As a kid w high major offers (UNC, Nova) he stuck w his commitment even knowing we were banned. Feel great for him now that he's healthy and playing well again.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's definitely filling a need - he started the season something like 1-8 on threes after three games, but since then, he's over 50%.

I think there's room to get both him and Purvis 23-27 minutes a game and I hope they get it - we're the better for it if both get fully back to their ability.

Reaction Score
With Facey in a little bit of a slump I see no reason not to get the Boat-Purvis-Omar-Hamilton-Brimah some extended run in the coming games. I've felt all year that this was our best lineup.

Reaction Score
With Facey in a little bit of a slump I see no reason not to get the Boat-Purvis-Omar-Hamilton-Brimah some extended run in the coming games. I've felt all year that this was our best lineup.

I tend to agree. At first I thought Hamilton at the four would hurt our defense and rebounding too much, but he's a better rebounder than half of our bigs. And on offense, we run much smoother with four perimeter players. It just creates such better spacing for the team. With our weakness on the offensive glass, I'd rather not clog the paint. The five you named are our five best players, at least offensively. I also think a 4 out, 1 in approach is a better fit given our roster composition and depth. I'd like to see this lineup more too.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Just took a peek at KenPom, this is the 7th-most common lineup in the past 5 games, out there just 3.9% of the time...I'd also like to see more of it. When they've run it, Omar has been the most productive offensive player of the five, but everyone except for Amida has contributed good offense out of it.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Omar in January...lots of room for his game to grow by going to the rim, especially since he's hardly fouling and has been a decent rebounder:

upload_2015-1-23_1-50-53.png

Reaction Score
Agreed 100%, I don't really see anything we lose with this lineup and we gain a whole lot. Hamilton might be the best rebounder on the team and when he gets it he's ready to go the other way quickly to start the break, he's been turnover prone but he's also very dynamic in the open court. This lineup gives us more speed, playmaking, shooting and just creates more havoc. I don't know why Ollie is so reluctant to use it.

Reaction Score
Just took a peek at KenPom, this is the 7th-most common lineup in the past 5 games, out there just 3.9% of the time...I'd also like to see more of it. When they've run it, Omar has been the most productive offensive player of the five, but everyone except for Amida has contributed good offense out of it.
Uoe6jxH.png

What I like best is how Boatright is the PG in all of our top 10 lineups.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree. At first I thought Hamilton at the four would hurt our defense and rebounding too much, but he's a better rebounder than half of our bigs. And on offense, we run much smoother with four perimeter players. It just creates such better spacing for the team. With our weakness on the offensive glass, I'd rather not clog the paint. The five you named are our five best players, at least offensively. I also think a 4 out, 1 in approach is a better fit given our roster composition and depth. I'd like to see this lineup more too.

What you bring up actually reminds me a little bit of the 2012-13 season, when we were so thin up front that Ollie eventually just threw his hands in the air and decided to put his five best guys out there (with Giff at center). It worked at first in short spurts and then became our full-time crunch-time lineup.

Obviously things aren't as clear-cut this year, as you say, but I do tend to agree that those five guys are our best players. Against the Texas and Duke's of the world Facey becomes invaluable but there just aren't many, if any (maybe SMU) of those teams in the AAC. It's not perfect but at this point I'm willing to give up some rebounds for some added versatility and spacing.

Reaction Score

Are you a subscriber to KenPom? Sounds like there is some good stuff you're getting from there, I might have to look into it.

Reaction Score
Agreed 100%, I don't really see anything we lose with this lineup and we gain a whole lot. Hamilton might be the best rebounder on the team and when he gets it he's ready to go the other way quickly to start the break, he's been turnover prone but he's also very dynamic in the open court. This lineup gives us more speed, playmaking, shooting and just creates more havoc. I don't know why Ollie is so reluctant to use it.

As an added benefit, with Hamilton at the four, you can get away with more switching on defense. Hamilton can defend point guards for short stretches at the end of the shot clock.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is that we need a second star after Boat and the number one candidate is Omar. On top of that, I'd like to see Omar reestablish himself as a lead dog so that next year this team has a rudder. Omar should be playing 30 plus minutes and KO should probably start making it clear to everyone that Omar is an alpha so they get used to it. We need an older statesman that scores points and takes big shots to help Boat now and to get us out of the gate next year.

Just my opinion on what I see out there. I realize Hamilton is a possibility too but I feel like he is is on the Rudy Gay path. He will either be here 3 years and shine in year 3 or he'll only be here 2 and we'll miss out on his really strong years.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is that we need a second star after Boat and the number one candidate is Omar. On top of that, I'd like to see Omar reestablish himself as a lead dog so that next year this team has a rudder. Omar should be playing 30 plus minutes and KO should probably start making it clear to everyone that Omar is an alpha so they get used to it. We need an older statesman that scores points and takes big shots to help Boat now and to get us out of the gate next year.

Just my opinion on what I see out there. I realize Hamilton is a possibility too but I feel like he is is on the Rudy Gay path. He will either be here 3 years and shine in year 3 or he'll only be here 2 and we'll miss out on his really strong years.

Omar's scoring has been great, exactly what the team needs. He has grown and matured since his freshman year, that pump fake from the corner leading to his dunk was a thing of beauty. That said he has major holes in his game for an Alpha - no handle, no defense and very turnover prone (looking at the posted stats of the last 6 games he has 9 turnovers to 2 assists.) I think KO is using him perfectly: 20-25 minutes of offense and it doesn't matter whether he starts or comes off the bench.

Reaction Score
It will come at Samuel's and Cassell's expense, but I like that lineup. Mix in Facey as your 6th getting the most time.

Most of this depends on their defense. I think Ollie credits Purvis for his D while he detracts from Calhoun for his. But this is a great way for them to stay on the floor, if Purvis becomes a defensive stopper and Calhoun settles down a bit there. With Boat, DHam, Omar and RP all capable of hitting 3s, it will open up the floor for drives and short jumpers--and alleyoops to Brimah.

Reaction Score
That baseline drive and dunk was nuts, I didn't think I'd see him do something like that

Omar is for sure back, gotta keep him shooting and keep the shots falling

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I agree - Omar needs to be in the lineup. His flashes of offensive brilliance are welcoming, HOWEVER, he needs to work on his D. If the guy could defend I would love to see him out there a minimum of 65% of the time - a guy like that forces an opponents D to be vulnerable to drives to the rim for Boat, DHam and RP.
He won't see that 65% PT unless he picks up the D intensity and D smart play.
KO just can't afford him to get burned numerous times a game - the team's ability to overcome such lapses this year is very low.

Reaction Score
Onions said:
Omar's scoring has been great, exactly what the team needs. He has grown and matured since his freshman year, that pump fake from the corner leading to his dunk was a thing of beauty. That said he has major holes in his game for an Alpha - no handle, no defense and very turnover prone (looking at the posted stats of the last 6 games he has 9 turnovers to 2 assists.) I think KO is using him perfectly: 20-25 minutes of offense and it doesn't matter whether he starts or comes off the bench.

The defense will come. He doesn't need to have a great handle to lead. He needs to make big plays and have the confidence and leadership skills to rally the troops and keep them settled and focused. He is the only guy I can see doing that. Purvis might but he's going to need to find some offense before he can fill that role.

Reaction Score
Very happy for Omar, I thought he would be the X factor if we had a good season. What's crazy is that he can actually get better.

Reaction Score
I will be the first to admit that I was flat out wrong about Omar. He played better last night than I thought we would ever see again from him. Very encouraging performance.

Reaction Score
The defense will come. He doesn't need to have a great handle to lead. He needs to make big plays and have the confidence and leadership skills to rally the troops and keep them settled and focused. He is the only guy I can see doing that. Purvis might but he's going to need to find some offense before he can fill that role.

You need to have a better handle and create to lead I believe. He has been excellent and as many said, filled a monster void. He is estimate 6th man, can come in make shots when needed and pump fake and pop also. But there's no way you can be #2 if you can't guard anyone and can't handle, pass. He may get better and I think his energy has been great, he's just not a good defender for now. The 2nd guy is Dham - he got 10/9/7 with 0 TO's. Could be he is getting it now? One can hope, he played well within himself, does it all and can do more - he needs to be the 2nd guy. The next would be Rodney - starting to get his mid range game settled and is playing good man, 4 steals last night is a nice thing. He needs to rebound the ball better and box his guy out - he could be that much better as well as make better decisions going to the hole also. We seem to have a pattern of guards/swings who need to be more decisive when penetrating the lane.

I like Purvis and Omar in the game together along with DHam Boat and AB. That's the best line up when it's on the court.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members