Omar deserves his own thread | The Boneyard

Omar deserves his own thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This was the old Omar that I thought we'd never see. If he can do this on a consistent basis this team will simply be better. We need what he can provide. He just needs to do it more consistently. What I liked most, is how versatile his game looked today. He not only shot it well from outside, but drove it to the basket, passed it well and defended well. It's being able to contribute when his shot is not falling will help him get on the floor. Hitting his shots will keep him there. I'm happy to see KO not giving up on him. The question is can he string more games like this together. And what will KO do if he struggles? Will or should he try SCJr and if he goes off ride that horse.

I'm big time in favor of KO shrinking the bench to develop chemistry which has been lacking, partly due to playing too many players in a give game IMO. But I don't have a problem with playing Omar as the first wing or 3rd-guard off the bench, but play SCJr if he's not getting it done in a given game. I'm just not in favor of slitting the time up between the two. Bench guys like these two need to get their minutes to get into the flow and rhythm. Giving a little PT to each has been a bad idea, and history tells us that it rarely works for streaky shooting type players. In the NBA it can work since there's more minutes to carve up and they play so many games, but in college not so much. JC won his NCs with a core 7 maybe 8 man rotation. Players 9, 10 and so forth only saw the floor sparingly if at all. I wonder if JC gave KO some feedback recently and KO is now making this adjustment.

So the core should be Brimah, Miller w/ Facey filling in at the front court. DHam at the wing with Omar filling in at the wing or sometimes the 3rd guard. Gibbs, Purvis and Adams sharing the backcourt minutes and sometimes being on the floor together.

If foul trouble or spot duty play SCJr, Nolan or Enoch. I wish Enoch had a little better feel for the game since I'd like to see him get some PT to develop his game for next season, but until the primary rotation develops better chemistry, that's probably not a good idea. Maybe by the latter 3rd or quarter of the season, if the team is playing more consistently and at a higher level, KO can spot him in there. Right now, even in double digit leads, we need the rotation players in there to learn to play together. That's my take on this.

Reaction Score
I thought he had his own thread where he couldn't dunk it in pre-game. This just seems redundant.

Reaction Score
Don't mean to toot my own horn, but i did tell everyone Omar would be ready this season. He's not a spot minute performer. He needs minutes and look at what happened this afternoon. THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING. Omar takes off from here.

Reaction Score
I thought he had his own thread where he couldn't dunk it in pre-game. This just seems redundant.
I have that video posted on my facebook account. Also, i think his response proves someone on the staff is a boneyard member.

Reaction Score
Been rooting for Omar since frosh year. Felt badly for him with the leg issues. Thank goodness he rebounded. And hopefully up from here.

Reaction Score
We need more like this from Omar if we are going to make a deep run, this is what you expect from a Uconn senior, couldn't be happier for a good guy, he seems to have his confidence back.

Reaction Score
Hoopdreams said:
Don't mean to toot my own horn, but i did tell everyone Omar would be ready this season. He's not a spot minute performer. He needs minutes and look at what happened this afternoon. THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING. Omar takes off from here.

Let's hope so. Will be huge for the team if he does. Nice job today.

Omar comin'

Reaction Score
One of my favorite players who's really been hobbled by injuries and just never seemed to get his coordination and touch back. Today was a sign that maybe he's physically ready to do that. It might not be a straight line improvement but today was a good start to turning the corner and he really looked pumped.

Reaction Score
Thought this was really interesting, Omar saying he looked at his freshman year tape and changed his approach to taking shots. Also that he's going to stick with the changes he made today, so hopefully he's back for real

Reaction Score
Lets hope this is the beginning of seeing the old Omar. I think he averaged over 11ppg his frosh year and showed us why he was the NYS Gatorade POY and a real high recruit. Today he did not just score, but he played aggressive defense and showed an all around game. I am mostly so pleased for him and that he can be a real contributor this year,s team.

caw

Reaction Score
Obviously boosted by today but he's suddenly up to 11/25 from three on the year, if my math is correct.

Reaction Score
Because he was awesome today. And it wasn't just hitting 3s either, but also driving, making good passes, and playing solid defense. All around good game on national TV. Very happy for the kid.
He really was awesome. I think he's finally getting out of his head, and letting muscle memory take over.

Reaction Score
All good for Omar. Really happy for the kid, now needs to keep it going giving all out effort in every facet. D, rebounding and passing.

Reaction Score
Omar's jumper clearly has more arc on it. His back rim, line drive shots are now turning into swishes.

Reaction Score
Definitely happy for him to be knocking down shots and being multi-dimensional, but what stood out to me is the energy he brought on defense. The team really built off of his energy and it showed big time! Hopefully that will translate over to the rest of the season because that is exactly what the team needs considering how porous the defense has been.

Reaction Score
The daggers he put into a good Syracuse team as the left The Big East with a "Bad taste of UConn in their Mouth" forever endeared him to the old AZ.
After his hip surgery it looked like that kid was gone forever,but as a true Huskie he kept at it. Well deserved praise to a kid who never gave up.

Reaction Score
Omar is exactly what we need coming off the bench. A player that can come in, hit some threes, and play like they have something to prove. If Omar can do half of what he did on Saturday, I will be very happy.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I noticed that Calhoun made a couple drives to the hoop before he attempted his outside shot. I think that could be a recipe to build his confidence and find his range going forward.

UConn is in Finals Week so we won't find out if that is a trend or a one game abberation. Unfortuately/fortunately (depends how you look at it) the game on the 20th is vs an assumed inferior opponent, thou I admit that I know almost nothing about UMass-Lowell.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
A positive BY thread that has reached almost a page w/out some malcontent posting something deflating? Heck yeah! Must have been a big win today.

For my part - Omar's 4 for 4 today is the high point of the season. Awesome game for him.

You missed the post two before yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer