Olympics US Women 3x3 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Olympics US Women 3x3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, with all reality setting in, this argument is moot: you can't have KLS as she wasn't able to play.

I have absolutely no idea why anyone is harping on the idea of a last-minute replacement being not up to snuff for someone who can't play. Aren't we all rootiing for the same team?

This I can tell you: Jackie Young is a marvelous all-round player who can sometimes defer a bit too much to her teammates (see, Ogumbowae, Arike; Mabrey, Mariina) until otherwise instructed. She is obvously deferring to her teammates here. Kara Lawson, I'm sure, will remind her of when to step up.

So, I'm all for supporting the U.S. team here: initally wth KLS, now with Jackie. Go U.S.

(My one counter to you is that there is a lot of varied and good passing in a game, whether 3x3 or 5x5. I've seen excellent entry passes by KLS and some superb drive and dishes by Jackie. However, KLS simply cannot handle the rock like Jackie, who can play the 1, 2 and 3 at the professional level. Nope.
Amen, and it isn't close, imo.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum will likely be our next Olympic point guard. She played great against China and is a major scoring threat.
Hold the horses. USA Basketball has not traditionally sought a scoring point guard. Staley and Bird were/are facilitating point guards par excellence.

Reaction Score
Well, with all reality setting in, this argument is moot: you can't have KLS as she wasn't able to play.

I have absolutely no idea why anyone is harping on the idea of a last-minute replacement being not up to snuff for someone who can't play. Aren't we all rootiing for the same team?

This I can tell you: Jackie Young is a marvelous all-round player who can sometimes defer a bit too much to her teammates (see, Ogumbowae, Arike; Mabrey, Mariina) until otherwise instructed. She is obvously deferring to her teammates here. Kara Lawson, I'm sure, will remind her of when to step up.

So, I'm all for supporting the U.S. team here: initally wth KLS, now with Jackie. Go U.S.

(My one counter to you is that there is a lot of varied and good passing in a game, whether 3x3 or 5x5. I've seen excellent entry passes by KLS and some superb drive and dishes by Jackie. However, KLS simply cannot handle the rock like Jackie, who can play the 1, 2 and 3 at the professional level. Nope.

Young is being asked to take a role that was designed for KLS. It's amazing that they have been so successful. And as pros they have likely made some adjustments by now to take advantage of Young's talent.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Diamond Deshields has regressed. She is athletic but her three pt shooting this year is horrendous. She is not a team player.

I'll agree that she's regressed a bit overall. Her best WNBA season is still 2019 by a fair margin. However, she's having her best 3-point shooting year of her career so far at 34.5%

I think her size and athleticism would be great for 3x3 if she ever decided to take it up.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Young is a good defender. She just hasn't played enough with the core. Now...Allisha Gray impresses the heck out of me. Just a quiet assassin. And her progression from SC to now...is remarkable.
Gray has been underrated since at least her freshman year at UNC, maybe longer.

She went from being overshadowed by DeShields that year (even though her numbers were better, Diamond got all the press) to being overshadowed by A'ja at SCar to being overshadowed by Arike at Dallas. She's not the very best at anything but she does everything well (including shot-blocking apparently!). Handy skillset to have on a 3x3 court.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum looking very much like the player that nobody could stop in college when she lead the nation in scoring at 32 ppg, shooting 53% from the floor and 43% from deep.

Put Kelsey Plum in a situation where she's not only allowed but encouraged to hunt her shot at every opportunity and good things are bound to happen. Especially when there is very little defensive help so she's usually only has to beat one player.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Plum was mostly excellent in the first 6 games but didn't have it in this one. 2/9 overall and 0/4 on her 2s.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Looking for replay of womens 3x3 games against China. Cannot find it. Found the games against Italy. Watching looks like th USA has lost ot's outside shooting touch.
NBC sports app has it all. Not only does it have it all, it's easily navigated.

Reaction Score
Hold the horses. USA Basketball has not traditionally sought a scoring point guard. Staley and Bird were/are facilitating point guards par excellence.
The problem is we don't have another Bird or Staley now. Can you name one? Paige is more of a 2. The point position has changed. If you watched the game today you could see the impact Sue had with 11 assists and several hockey assists, including 3 great passes in row to break the game open. D can play the point but all the others on the team are not pure points and their passing skills are questionable at times. I'm not a Gray fan, dribbles way too much, is a second slow on her passes and is not fast of foot. She played well in the last 3 minutes though I will give her that. I watched the 3x3 game carefully. The international players can't handle Plum, she is quick, can drive, great shooter, and can pass.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I have Paige at the 2 on my 2024 team.
I swear, there are a lot of folks on the BY who are still seeing basketball as a little girl league where your best player, you know, the girl who has learned to dribble, the is the PG.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
France beats Japan to get the last Semifinal slot. Japan apparently used up all their 2 pt makes against US. Some brutal misses on chippee's at end. One of the Japanese players missed a critical one and was inconsolable afterwards. Tough to watch.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The problem is we don't have another Bird or Staley now. Can you name one? Paige is more of a 2. The point position has changed. If you watched the game today you could see the impact Sue had with 11 assists and several hockey assists, including 3 great passes in row to break the game open. D can play the point but all the others on the team are not pure points and their passing skills are questionable at times. I'm not a Gray fan, dribbles way too much, is a second slow on her passes and is not fast of foot. She played well in the last 3 minutes though I will give her that. I watched the 3x3 game carefully. The international players can't handle Plum, she is quick, can drive, great shooter, and can pass.
You are so right about Gray.

Reaction Score
I swear, there are a lot of folks on the BY who are still seeing basketball as a little girl league where your best player, you know, the girl who has learned to dribble, the is the PG.
I'm not sure what you mean but I will say this. Bird truly is the GOAT at her position. She is virtually unique in the current game, and even on our Olympic team all the guards who replace Sue and D have certain skills but not others and can't control the game from the 1 position like Sue or from the 2 position like D. You are watching the greatest women's backcourt in history so far. The way Bird took this game over today was subtle, quick and merciless. 3 perfect passes, one a no look, and it would have been 4 if Wilson had made the lay up. In the same vein, it is why we are so fortunate to have Paige. As someone on the BY pointed out a long time ago, she is a combo guard- a combination of D and Sue.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Great insights from Plum on each of her teammates.
I like that Stef's ability to coordinate the team defense and guide players was mentioned.

And I am glad Alisha is getting some shine because I doubt it will be the same with the Dallas Wings when she gets back. :oops:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought Alisha was a weak Rookie of the Year--relative to players like Wilson, Stewie, Griner, Elena, Maya, Diana, et al. Part of the reason she won ROY was that the #1 pick, Kelsey Plum, took some time to adjust to the W. It was also a very weak draft, with Coates at #2 and Akhator at #3. It is also hard to tell what the offense is in Dallas, because it looks like a free-for-all. But Alisha has been solid and has improved some of her career stats. Her 3-point shooting is at a decent .364 this year, and FT shooting is a stellar .907. She has decent size, quickness, and versatility. She's clearly a key on the 3x3 team.

Reaction Score
I am very impressed with Plum and Alisha, and not surprised by Stef's ability to lead the team. I do not think they can take the top medal, Young is too inexperienced and has an incomplete game for the 3 x 3.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Gray has been underrated since at least her freshman year at UNC, maybe longer.

She went from being overshadowed by DeShields that year (even though her numbers were better, Diamond got all the press) to being overshadowed by A'ja at SCar to being overshadowed by Arike at Dallas. She's not the very best at anything but she does everything well (including shot-blocking apparently!). Handy skillset to have on a 3x3 court.
Alisha Gray is my favorite non-UConn player, which is why I still follow the Dallas Wings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog