Olympics US Women 3x3 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Olympics US Women 3x3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Others have mentioned this too, but I'm really impressed with Alisha Gray. I know she's good but she is bringing it with all facets - scoring, rebounding, great defense. The starters really do play very well together. Not knocking Young at all - nothing she can do about the situation - the others have been playing together longer. Can't wait to watch 5x5!!

Also, if you have any sort of cable provider or YouTube TV, you can likely watch the games through the NBC Sports app. I've found it a bit easier to navigate and find what I'm looking for.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Others have mentioned this too, but I'm really impressed with Alisha Gray. I know she's good but she is bringing it with all facets - scoring, rebounding, great defense. The starters really do play very well together. Not knocking Young at all - nothing she can do about the situation - the others have been playing together longer. Can't wait to watch 5x5!!

Also, if you have any sort of cable provider or YouTube TV, you can likely watch the games through the NBC Sports app. I've found it a bit easier to navigate and find what I'm looking for.
Agreed. Dolson and Plum have of course been great and instrumental (in different ways) in the team's success, but Gray has my vote for MVP.

Young is doing about as well as one can expect. Very tough situation to try to join a team at the last minute.

They are still having some significant trouble defending the high ball screen. China scored quite of a few of their buckets on the slip by the screener and also got some 2-pointers by getting the on-ball defender hung up on the re-screen.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Have to wonder if China had taken more 1 point attempts instead of the 12 Two Point Shot attempts they might have upset Team USA. They shot 65% for their 1 point shot attempts and 33% ( 4-12) for 2 point shot attempts. Team USA shot 54% on their 1 point shot attempts and were 2-2 on 2 point shot attempts. Team USA did control the boards outrebounding China 18-9.

Reaction Score
Just happy that they escaped!!!! China was leading 19-18 when Plum's dagger 3 sealed the deal!!! Too closed for comfort!!! Covid killed Samuelson's olympic dream. Life is cruel sometimes.

Reaction Score
US beat China 21 - 19. Nice done, Plum 2 pts shot wins the game at end.

Reaction Score
I just watched the France game on replay. It was a close game until about 3 minutes left. France could not get their outside shots to fall.

FWIW I think Young is a great choice for the replacement among the players that were available. In 3x3 you need someone with a motor, versatile on offense and a tenacious defender, and she ticks all those boxes. Aside from the matchup problems when Stef goes out of the game, I like the roster. Jackie will get more comfortable with each game, and it can't hurt that she's Plum's teammate on the Aces.
Jackie Young is the weak player on this team....she can't guard bigger players in the post and she doesn't shoot outside the arc...KLS is really missed.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Just happy that they escaped!!!! China was leading 19-18 when Plum's dagger 3 sealed the deal!!! Too closed for comfort!!! Covid killed Samuelson's olympic dream. Life is cruel sometimes.

US beat China 21 - 19. Nice done, Plum 2 pts shot wins the game at end.

Warbler -- Just for clarification, a shot taken "outside" of the line is not worth three points in the 3x3 game: it's a two-pointer (shots inside the arc are worth one point)). The score was tied 19-19 when Kelsey took the jumper that sealed the deal. That said, it was a dagger and she stepped up to nail it.al

China has some tall players on that team and it was back and forth. However, some dibs to both Alisha and Jackie for pokling/grabbing at the ball when China's taller players would bring it down "under" their shoulders. Used their quick hands to pull it away.

Jackie is getting assimilated into the team, all while playing in, well, the Olympics. As Plebe has noted, tough situation for anyone. In this case, She'll continue to integrate as the U.S. enters the knock-out stages. So far, so good: Plum was rock solid+ today.

Reaction Score
Why not choice Tiffany Hayes to replace KLS? Just one thought :).
Just for the sake [Rice wine in Japan] of controversy, Pheesa to 3x3, and put in 'Nika Ogwumike for 5x5....

Reaction Score
LOL. Thanks, I just downloaded the 3x3 rules pdf and am now up to date on the scoring for 3x3 bb. I did watch the whole game though. Was it 10 minutes and 21 points a game?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Jackie Young is the weak player on this team....she can't guard bigger players in the post and she doesn't shoot outside the arc...KLS is really missed.
To be fair, KLS struggled a great deal on offense in the Olympic qualifying tournament in May (see stats below), where an objective observer might well have deemed her the "weak player" of the team.

1627342761278.png

I'm NOT saying she's not missed, because of course she is. As Kara tweeted, they don't get to the Olympics without her. Just a sucky situation with the COVID monster catching her just prior to departure.

Jackie sometimes gets caught in a mismatch guarding a taller player down low, but all in all her defense against guards and forwards is quite good.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
To be fair, KLS struggled a great deal on offense in the Olympic qualifying tournament in May (see stats below), where an objective observer might well have deemed her the "weak player" of the team.

View attachment 68766

I'm NOT saying she's not missed, because of course she is. As Kara tweeted, they don't get to the Olympics without her. Just a sucky situation with the COVID monster catching her just prior to departure.

Jackie sometimes gets caught in a mismatch guarding a taller player down low, but all in all her defense against guards and forwards is quite good.
KLS shot .538 inside the arc. Young is shooting .409 inside the arc
KLS shot 5 for 19 from outside the arc--Not Good. Young hasnt taken a shot outside the arc--that is Horrible, for a non big in 3x3.
KLS scored 22 points in the 6 games. Young has scored 11.

Samuelson had 22 rebounds in the 6 games, Young has 13 rebounds in her 6 games.

Somebody has to be the 4th player on the team in the stats. I would rather have KLS, as her dribbling and passing are far better than Young.
That being said, Young did step into a tough spot.

Reaction Score
Kelsey Plum will likely be our next Olympic point guard. She played great against China and is a major scoring threat.

Reaction Score
There’s a young kid at UConn who might give Plum a run for her money in 3 years……
Are the next world championships next summer or the next? :rolleyes:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Somebody has to be the 4th player on the team in the stats. I would rather have KLS, as her dribbling and passing are far better than Young.

Well, with all reality setting in, this argument is moot: you can't have KLS as she wasn't able to play.

I have absolutely no idea why anyone is harping on the idea of a last-minute replacement being not up to snuff for someone who can't play. Aren't we all rootiing for the same team?

This I can tell you: Jackie Young is a marvelous all-round player who can sometimes defer a bit too much to her teammates (see, Ogumbowae, Arike; Mabrey, Mariina) until otherwise instructed. She is obvously deferring to her teammates here. Kara Lawson, I'm sure, will remind her of when to step up.

So, I'm all for supporting the U.S. team here: initally wth KLS, now with Jackie. Go U.S.

(My one counter to you is that there is a lot of varied and good passing in a game, whether 3x3 or 5x5. I've seen excellent entry passes by KLS and some superb drive and dishes by Jackie. However, KLS simply cannot handle the rock like Jackie, who can play the 1, 2 and 3 at the professional level. Nope.

Plebe

Reaction Score
KLS shot .538 inside the arc. Young is shooting .409 inside the arc
KLS shot 5 for 19 from outside the arc--Not Good. Young hasnt taken a shot outside the arc--that is Horrible, for a non big in 3x3.
KLS scored 22 points in the 6 games. Young has scored 11.

Samuelson had 22 rebounds in the 6 games, Young has 13 rebounds in her 6 games.

All good points. Young has never been much of a long-range threat, but it's not like she never takes 3's in the W. This season she's averaging 3 attempts per game.

Even at a subpar percentage, though, as you allude to, there'd be value in establishing that she's willing to shoot from beyond the arc just to help spread the floor and give the defense more to think about. But the whole dynamic of "getting shots" in 3x3 is just very different than in full court.

Reaction Score
Well, with all reality setting in, this argument is moot: you can't have KLS as she wasn't able to play.

I have absolutely no idea why anyone is harping on the idea of a last-minute replacement being not up to snuff for someone who can't play. Aren't we all rootiing for the same team?

This I can tell you: Jackie Young is a marvelous all-round player who can sometimes defer a bit too much to her teammates (see, Ogumbowae, Arike; Mabrey, Mariina) until otherwise instructed. She is obvously deferring to her teammates here. Kara Lawson, I'm sure, will remind her of when to step up.

So, I'm all for supporting the U.S. team here: initally wth KLS, now with Jackie. Go U.S.

(My one counter to you is that there is a lot of varied and good passing in a game, whether 3x3 or 5x5. I've seen excellent entry passes by KLS and some superb drive and dishes by Jackie. However, KLS simply cannot handle the rock like Jackie, who can play the 1, 2 and 3 at the professional level. Nope.
We’ll said Dillon!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Let’s hope Sidney is open for business next September. Right now it’s in lockdown.
I think they will have difficulty hosting the 2032 Olympic games. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog