OT: - Olympics: U.S. Women’s Soccer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Olympics: U.S. Women’s Soccer

Reaction Score
We are beginning to see the unfortunate downfall of the US women's soccer system. Our best players are in their 30's. It is becoming wealthy only for the young players. Discriminatory and foolish. However, this has become the American way. It truly saddens me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We are beginning to see the unfortunate downfall of the US women's soccer system. Our best players are in their 30's. It is becoming wealthy only for the young players. Discriminatory and foolish. However, this has become the American way. It truly saddens me.
Other than the fact that our best players are getting older, I have no idea what you’re talking about. What exactly is “becoming wealthy only for the young players. Discriminatory and foolish?” How exactly has this, “become the American way?”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
US killer Sweden in a dogfight with Australia. 1-1 tie after 1st half. Could easily have been 2-1 Australia since Sam Kerr going in alone was clearly fouled in the 40' . VAR did not help correct the mistake

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sweden wins 4-2. Sam Kerr missed a critical Penalty kick that would have tied it 3-3. Sweden is very mentally tough.

Reaction Score
I have strong reservations concerning the U. S. A. Women's soccer team !

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Up 1-0 and a close offsides stopped a Carli Lloyd sweet flick from making it 2-0

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Sweden wins 4-2. Sam Kerr missed a critical Penalty kick that would have tied it 3-3. Sweden is very mentally tough.
Australia remains ahead of US on goal differential, for the moment, which could become important in the event of a US-Australia tie.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Up 3-0 and evening out the differential when Dahlkemper really blew a clearout and then tripped to allow a Kiwi goal. So many offside goals for USA. Ertz has been key all the way.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Up 3-0 and evening out the differential when Dahlkemper really blew a clearout and then tripped to allow a Kiwi goal. So many offside goals for USA. Ertz has been key all the way.
Coach made a major overhaul to the defensive lineup. O'Hara and Sauerbrunn, both of whom played all 90 in the Sweden game, were replaced by Davidson and Sonnett.

I thought Dahlkemper also played poorly in the Sweden game, but she remained in the lineup. Really a calamitous misplay to gift NZ a goal, and the US are somewhat fortunate it didn't cost them the goal differential advantage over Australia.

As someone else pointed out, having Ertz on the field is a must. Lavelle was also excellent in this game.

Reaction Score

It's significantly better than it was 12-15 years ago. Yes, teams in Europe are making major strides, so the U.S. will never be as dominant as circa 1999. But there is plenty of talent and there is not any imminent "downfall".

And the two best players are 25 year-old and 29 years-old.

Reaction Score
With Ertz having her back, Horan was able to show her offensive skills. Most of the offsides calls were pretty sloppy playing by the U.S. Dunn has seemed to have lost her touch. They will need her to up her game. Lavelle was limping after the game, hope it’s minor. Rapino was so-so as was Heath. I think Press is playing the best of our front liners.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Is Tuesday's Game against Australia a Must Win or Draw game for Team USA to advance to the Medal Round? Looking at the projected schedule, I'm confused as I do see games scheduled against a 3rd place team.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Is Tuesday's Game against Australia a Must Win or Draw game for Team USA to advance to the Medal Round? Looking at the projected schedule, I'm confused as I do see games scheduled against a 3rd place team.
Not an absolute must. If they lose and finish 3rd in group, they might still advance. (Only one of the 3rd-place teams from the 3 groups fails to advance, and today's tie between China and Zambia means that the 3rd-place team from Group F is likely to finish with only one point.)

But if the US can't even muster a tie against Australia, they have big problems.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not an absolute must. If they lose and finish 3rd in group, they might still advance. (Only one of the 3rd-place teams from the 3 groups fails to advance, and today's tie between China and Zambia means that the 3rd-place team from Group F is likely to finish with only one point.)

But if the US can't even muster a tie against Australia, they have big problems.

Thanks. After the Sweden game, I'm thinking USA does not get a Medal. Poor Defense and Age has finally caught up to Team USA.

I also think that Team Leaders Involvement with Equal Pay and their Social Media activities have hurt this team. I think some of the Older players should probably have been replaced with younger players but that couldn't happen because of their stature.

Who is going to be the New Face of Women's Soccer for Team USA?

Reaction Score
Thanks. After the Sweden game, I'm thinking USA does not get a Medal. Poor Defense and Age has finally caught up to Team USA.

I also think that Team Leaders Involvement with Equal Pay and their Social Media activities have hurt this team. I think some of the Older players should probably have been replaced with younger players but that couldn't happen because of their stature.

Who is going to be the New Face of Women's Soccer for Team USA?
Their age is definitely an issue and this will be the last roundup for some of them. The new rule allowing all 22 on the roster and 5 subs per game helps them. But for this event, the best 22 were chosen regardless of their age. Maybe Australia sends them home but I’m not counting them out.

Plebe

Reaction Score

So basically, everything but the kitchen sink is wrong with this team.

To all you young soccer players out there, take note:
— Don't get old.
— Don't ask for equal pay or use social media.

Reaction Score
With Ertz having her back, Horan was able to show her offensive skills. Most of the offsides calls were pretty sloppy playing by the U.S. Dunn has seemed to have lost her touch. They will need her to up her game. Lavelle was limping after the game, hope it’s minor. Rapino was so-so as was Heath. I think Press is playing the best of our front liners.

Agreed, but the Dunn struggles are mind-boggling. In the first CT send-off game, she was the best player on the pitch. Since then, she's been one of the least productive players. No idea what's up..."Chris Paul syndrome"?

Reaction Score

With the way things have gone, the US is virtually certain to advance even if they lose to Australia. With three points already in the bank, they will finish ahead of the third-place team from another group where China and Zambia are only going to get one point apiece. That advances them to the knockout stage, even if they lose to Australia by 10 goals.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I see this sort of like the reaction to Uconn losing to Arkansas - the sky had fallen and the team was a bunch of scrubs.

USA Soccer has a new coach and ran into a buzz saw in their first game - it happens to every team from time to time. They rebounded well and are still in the competition for medals. They are very experienced and not 'too old' or 'too distracted' but Olympic and WC competition is meant to be difficult just like the FF is not a cake walk for any team.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I see this sort of like the reaction to Uconn losing to Arkansas - the sky had fallen and the team was a bunch of scrubs.

USA Soccer has a new coach and ran into a buzz saw in their first game - it happens to every team from time to time. They rebounded well and are still in the competition for medals. They are very experienced and not 'too old' or 'too distracted' but Olympic and WC competition is meant to be difficult just like the FF is not a cake walk for any team.
All of this.

People should recall that the USWNT has taken some rough defeats before. In the 2003 WC semifinals Germany trounced the US 3-0 and was clearly the class of the field (with the world's best striker at the time, Birgit Prinz).

Four years later in the 2007 WC, the score was an even more resounding 4-0 loss to Brazil, including this gem from the incomparable Marta.

Sometimes it happens.

Reaction Score
It's becoming wealthy only for the young players? What does that mean? Would you say the same for the USA Women's Basketball team? They're mostly older players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom