OT: - Olympics: U.S. Women’s Soccer | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Olympics: U.S. Women’s Soccer

Reaction Score
We are beginning to see the unfortunate downfall of the US women's soccer system. Our best players are in their 30's. It is becoming wealthy only for the young players. Discriminatory and foolish. However, this has become the American way. It truly saddens me.

It's becoming wealthy only for the young players? What does that mean? Would you say the same for the USA Women's Basketball team? They're mostly older players.
I think @cwaduke is trying to insert NIL into this discussion, but the reality isn't going to work. And nothing this person has to say makes any sense. "The best players are in their 30's but the young players are the only ones getting wealthy"? Balderdash. Horsefeathers.

For example, Alex Morgan (who is 32) has endorsement deals with McDonalds, Coca Cola, Panasonic, Beats, Volkswagen, Chevrolet, and many, many others. She earns over $300,000 (salary plus bonuses) from the USWNT and over $3M from endorsements. Alex is only one of them. No way is it "becoming wealthy only for the young players."

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
To all you young soccer players out there, take note:
— Don't get old.
That's good advice for anyone.

To all you young soccer players out there, take note:
— Don't ask for equal pay or use social media.
Well, don't ask for equal pay when you've already turned down equal pay. And when you're actually getting paid more already. And don't sue for more after you've just negotiated a deal. Yea, don't do those things.

Reaction Score
That's good advice for anyone.

Well, don't ask for equal pay when you've already turned down equal pay. And when you're actually getting paid more already. And don't sue for more after you've just negotiated a deal. Yea, don't do those things.

This x 1,000,000.

Honor your commitment, then negotiate a new deal. Your word is everything.

Not only is this lawsuit bad optics it is stone deaf as well.

Reaction Score

Quarterfinals​

DateMatchTime (ET)TV channelsStream
Fri, July 30QF 1: Canada vs. Brazil4 a.m.NBCSNfuboTV
Fri, July 30QF 2: Great Britain vs. Australia5 a.m.TBDfuboTV
Fri, July 30QF 3: Sweden vs. Japan6 a.m.NBCSNfuboTV
Fri, July 30QF 4: Netherlands vs. USA7 a.m.NBCSNfuboTV

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A rather listless 0-0 tie vs. Australia today, in a conservatively played game that neither team needed to win.

Scoring chances were few and far between. Alex Morgan had an early breakaway but her shot went right at the keeper's chest. Later in 1H she appeared to score on a header, but she was slightly offside. Australia had a header chance of its own, off a US defensive miscue, but hit the crossbar. The second half was downright boring as neither team took chances.

US finishes 2nd in group and advances to play a quarterfinal against Group F winner Netherlands, in a rematch of the 2019 WC final. Netherlands has scored an amazing 21 goals in its 3 games, including 8 by their star striker Miedema. But they've have also given up 8 goals, so their defense is far from impenetrable.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Netherlands has scored an amazing 21 goals in its 3 games, including 8 by their star striker Miedema. But they've have also given up 8 goals, so their defense is far from impenetrable.
Who is it she plays for?

skysports-vivianne-miedema_5379337.jpg

Reaction Score
I don’t have a problem with the last 20 minutes of the game when they were settling for a tie and the one point that comes with it. But, they were seriously out played for most of the first half. This strategy of constantly sending sending long passes to the box that never works rather that building an attack makes me wonder about how the coach feels about his team’s ability. They are playing survivor’s game. Not a winners game that this team should be playing. That’s the coach. If there are better teams, so be it, but let’s go down playing aggressive.

Reaction Score
Both teams should be tossed out for "failure to compete in an Olympic game". Disgraceful display of gamesmanship with the "unofficial" agreement not to score and settle for a nil-nil tie. It was a waste of time watching the so called game.

Reaction Score
Both teams should be tossed out for "failure to compete in an Olympic game". Disgraceful display of gamesmanship with the "unofficial" agreement not to score and settle for a nil-nil tie. It was a waste of time watching the so called game.

They've never tossed out a team from the Olympics or World Cup for this - and it has happened many many times. Very doubtful there was any kind of agreement, but both coaches opted to play defensively and not press the other team's defense - which led to a stalemate. Understandable (although boring for the spectators) with both teams definitely into the knockout stage and with the heat index pushing 100 degrees. Earlier, however, both teams had a number of good scoring chances - so they certainly weren't trying for a tie at that point.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe soccer could adopt the stalling rule they use in wrestling: warning, 1 pt, 1 pt, 2 pts, disqualification……,

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Quarterfinals​

DateMatchTime (ET)TV channelsStream
Fri, July 30QF 1: Canada vs. Brazil4 a.m.NBCSNfuboTV
Fri, July 30QF 2: Great Britain vs. Australia5 a.m.TBDfuboTV
Fri, July 30QF 3: Sweden vs. Japan6 a.m.NBCSNfuboTV
Fri, July 30QF 4: Netherlands vs. USA7 a.m.NBCSNfuboTV
How could all games be on NBCSN and separated by only an hour? :confused:

Reaction Score
They're playing Friday and that works for me! My 12 year old grand daughter is just psyched for the Netherlands..... that's the true Olympic spirit!

Reaction Score
How could all games be on NBCSN and separated by only an hour? :confused:
I noticed that as well--they still have not provided an updated/corrected channel listing. You can safely assume the USA vs Netherlands game will be shown in full on NBCSN at 7am ET. The other three games may end up on the Spanish language channels or, worst case, streamed on nbcolympics.com

Reaction Score
I noticed that as well--they still have not provided an updated/corrected channel listing. You can safely assume the USA vs Netherlands game will be shown in full on NBCSN at 7am ET. The other three games may end up on the Spanish language channels or, worst case, streamed on nbcolympics.com

Yes, US Soccer says the game will be on NBCSN (as well as Telemundo).

Reaction Score
I hated having to sit through this one, and I am of the opinion that it really didn't serve the teams' interests. Better to use games to sharpen one's ability, not to get on to the next round. The US has a (long) history of not being able to possess the ball very well. We kick it to opponents as often as to teammates and have the ball intercepted routinely. We should use our games to improve our weaknesses. Our ability to strike in an eyeblink keeps us winning, and until this tourney, our steady defense has kept our opponents at bay. But we really don't look like our confident and determined selves at the moment.
Well, the game with the Netherlands will sort things out one way or the other. Right now my confidence is shaken (not stirred).

Reaction Score
The 2 best players in the world right now are Miederma and Lieke Mertens. Ellen White a close 3rd, the way both teams are going I just don't see a way USA beats this team. I'm shocked that they got Netherlands this big of a dog but I guess that's why they play the game. I won't be shocked if Netherlands wins 4-1 because they do what Sweden does way better, they just scored 8 goals against China who held a tough Brazil team to few chances

Reaction Score
I have been checking several sports websites (including NBC's) and my Comcast Xfinity tv guide--as of 2pm ET Thursday July 29 it appears that only the Brazil vs. Canada (4am ET) and USA vs. Netherlands (7am ET) games will be shown live on english-language NBC channels (NBCSN). The other two games, Great Britain vs Australia and Sweden vs. Japan, may (or may not) be shown live on Telemundo and/or Universo--in the Comcast tv guide both of these spanish-language channels just show "live coverage of the Tokyo Olympics" for a six to eight hour block starting at 3am ET.
There is always the live (and replay) streaming option at nbcolympics.com--has anyone here tried it out?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have been checking several sports websites (including NBC's) and my Comcast Xfinity tv guide--as of 2pm ET Thursday July 29 it appears that only the Brazil vs. Canada (4am ET) and USA vs. Netherlands (7am ET) games will be shown live on english-language NBC channels (NBCSN). The other two games, Great Britain vs Australia and Sweden vs. Japan, may (or may not) be shown live on Telemundo and/or Universo--in the Comcast tv guide both of these spanish-language channels just show "live coverage of the Tokyo Olympics" for a six to eight hour block starting at 3am ET.
There is always the live (and replay) streaming option at nbcolympics.com--has anyone here tried it out?
I have used the NBC streaming site and it has worked great for me so far.

Somewhat bizarre that each of the quarterfinal games is spaced only an hour apart, which means a single channel can show no more than two of the games in their entirety.

Reaction Score
I thought NBC would end up splitting the 4 games between NBCSN and USA channels. Instead they have elected to televise those big crowd favorites, women's rugby and preliminary swimming heats.

Reaction Score
well, not hard to find women's beach volleyball. always prime time; now why is that?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Team USA could be up 2-0 early in this game. Off Sides called on a Made Goal and a Header just missed as the Netherlands goalie just got her hands on the ball and the ball hits the goal posts instead of going in.

Now USA Trails 1-0 on sloppy defense.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Team USA could be up 2-0 early in this game. Off Sides called on a Made Goal and a Header just missed as the Netherlands just got her hands on the ball and the ball hits the goal posts instead of going in.
Well, now Netherlands up 1-0. World class goal in 19' by Miedema

Edit.

US with 2 goals quickly. 2-1 :D

Lynn Williams with a great assist on goal 1 and great strike into the corner on goal 2 . Nice call putting her in the starting lineup

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom