OT: - Olympics: Simone Biles out with injury... | The Boneyard

OT: Olympics: Simone Biles out with injury...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
out of the team competition. Is she still expected to compete in the individual events?

Edit here: the original crawl from ESPN said 'injury'...now it is saying 'medical issue'...as noted in eebmg's post.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Oh boy. That does not sound good, Too late to cancel the Olympics?
Is this her last Olympics? I know she's 24 and gymnasts have a short window to compete at their peak, so I will feel bad if this is how her career comes to an end.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Is this her last Olympics? I know she's 24 and gymnasts have a short window to compete at their peak, so I will feel bad if this is how her career comes to an end.
I think I heard that she wanted to end her Career after Paris (2028). Her coaches are from Paris

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s easy to overlook how much pressure athletes are under to perform. Biles has been rock solid throughout her career, until the second day of qualifying at the US trials, when she made a number of uncharacteristic errors.

Subsequently, she struggled again during the first day of qualifying at the Olympics, although she still had the best overall score. Today, she missed her first vault and I guess she determined she wasn’t able to continue. I hope that was the right decision for her. This story will dominate the news today.

Reaction Score
I just hope she can leave the olympics feeling comfortable with her accomplishments. She is an incredible athlete and done so much already. Hats off!
Congratulations to the rest of team USA with their silver!

Reaction Score
A total disaster. USA gets team Silver, behind the Russians who get Gold. Biles trains for 4 years, does nothing but wins & sets record, & gets injured at the worst possible time. Unbelievable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nooooo. I feel for her. Elite gymnastics is 4 years of suck broken up by the Olympics. (Yes, I know there are national and international competitions but the Olympics is their time to shine, and, frankly, an unequalled time to build brand value and marketability.) I hope she gets a chance to compete. She's worked hard and sacrificed a lot to get there.

Reaction Score
She didn't look good from the get go...All that pounding has really taken a toll on her body. Even Osaka looked terrible too. Best of luck to the both of those young millionaires..

Reaction Score
She didn't look good from the get go...All that pounding has really taken a toll on her body. Even Osaka looked terrible too. Best of luck to the both of those young millionaires..
Absolutely. There’s a lot of pressure that comes along with being the face of the entire team USA at an Olympics. Osaka’s was ever more prominent being from the host nation and playing a huge role in the opening ceremony. Makes you appreciate people like Phelps who never cracked under the pressure.

Reaction Score
From a non-ESPN article:

While the competition was still taking place, USA Gymnastics issued a statement confirming Biles had withdrawn due to a “medical issue”, but there was confusion about whether Biles had suffered a physcial injury during the event.

Speaking after the event, Biles said she was not injured, “just a little ... to my pride”, and had to “focus on my mental health”.
“After the performance I did, I just didn’t want to go on,” she said.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was trying to remember another competition of this magnitude when a key athlete removed themselves from competing. The best I could come up with was game 7 of the 1968 NBA championships, when Wilt Chamberlain took himself out during the 4th qtr against the Celtics in LA, never to return, with the Celtics going on to win the championship.

I’m not sure what to make of Biles decision. After the competition, Biles indicated that she didn’t want to prevent her team from winning a medal. Maybe if she fights through her mental issues, she leads the team to gold, or maybe she has one bad routine after another and the team finishes 4th.

Wilt had a history of fading in big games. Biles has been one of the greatest big competition performers ever. For her sake, I hope she finds solace in her decision and can move forward in her life.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
From a non-ESPN article:

While the competition was still taking place, USA Gymnastics issued a statement confirming Biles had withdrawn due to a “medical issue”, but there was confusion about whether Biles had suffered a physcial injury during the event.

Speaking after the event, Biles said she was not injured, “just a little ... to my pride”, and had to “focus on my mental health”.

Wow.

Reaction Score
I wonder if some of these athletes will give some of that sponsor money back after quitting? I believe they will..

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
From a non-ESPN article:

I guess there are 2 trains of thought on this...on one hand, take care of your mental health. I'm not sure there is more pressure on anyone in Tokyo than Biles. She's under a microscope and has the weight of the world on her shoulders so I can sympathize with that.

On the other, she has her teammates relying on her to step up and lead the team. Having your star gymnast deciding not to compete at the last minute is a bit of a selfish move and hurts her teammates chances of winning. She signed up for this and decided to take a coveted roster spot that could've gone to one of a zillion other gymnasts who were dying to be here. Leaving her team out in the cold on the biggest stage is a major bummer.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I guess there are 2 trains of thought on this...on one hand, take care of your mental health. I'm not sure there is more pressure on anyone in Tokyo than Biles. She's under a microscope and has the weight of the world on her shoulders so I can sympathize with that.

On the other, she has her teammates relying on her to step up and lead the team. Having your star gymnast deciding not to compete at the last minute is a bit of a selfish move and hurts her teammates chances of winning. She signed up for this and decided to take a coveted roster spot that could've gone to one of a zillion other gymnasts who were dying to be here. Leaving her team out in the cold on the biggest stage is a major bummer.
She already tried to compete and she knew she was not performing optimally. She did the right thing by letting her teammates compete without her dragging them down and being the only story of the competition.

Hope she can get her mind right and compete in the individuals

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Two things may be playing with her mental health. This is the first time her parents have not been present to support her. I don't understand why parents are not allowed, especially if vaccinated. Second, these gymnasts are not used to performing in empty venues. As the saying goes, the silence is deafening.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was trying to remember another competition of this magnitude when a key athlete removed themselves from competing. The best I could come up with was game 7 of the 1968 NBA championships, when Wilt Chamberlain took himself out during the 4th qtr against the Celtics in LA, never to return, with the Celtics going on to win the championship.

I’m not sure what to make of Biles decision. After the competition, Biles indicated that she didn’t want to prevent her team from winning a medal. Maybe if she fights through her mental issues, she leads the team to gold, or maybe she has one bad routine after another and the team finishes 4th.

Wilt had a history of fading in big games. Biles has been one of the greatest big competition performers ever. For her sake, I hope she finds solace in her decision and can move forward in her life.
Tiger Woods withdrew from a bunch of tourneys after two horrific rounds. No one called him a choker.

Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads