OT: - Olympics: Simone Biles out with injury... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Olympics: Simone Biles out with injury...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wonder if some of these athletes will give some of that sponsor money back after quitting? I believe they will..
I have some swamp land for sale....with a bridge and stuff. Call me.

Reaction Score
Sunisa Lee helped Biles out and won gold for America.....Hooray! S.B. should feel a little better because Suni Lee did what she would have done, if she had competed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not easy for Sunisa Lee to grow in a such poor family and becomes the Olympic All-Around Champion.

Lee was born Sunisa Phabsomphou[3] on March 9, 2003 to Yeev Thoj, a healthcare worker. When she was 2 years old her mother met John Lee, who became Sunisa's father. Although her parents never legally married, she made the decision to change her last name to her father's.[4] Lee is of Hmong descent;[5][6] both of her parents immigrated from Laos when they were children.[4] She has five siblings, sisters Shyenne and Evionn and brothers Jonah, Lucky and Noah.[7][8] Evionn also competed in artistic gymnastics at the regional level.[9]

17 months ago, Lee's gym shutdown due to the coronavirus. She further endured a broken foot, and the loss of two relatives to COVID-19. Before that, in 2019, her father, John Lee fell from a tree he was trimming and was seriously injured. The accident happened a day before she was set to compete for the U.S. championships.

At six years old,[10] Lee started gymnastics at the Midwest Gymnastics Center in Little Canada, Minnesota,[9] where she still trains.

Reaction Score

1627572177806.png

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not easy for Sunisa Lee to grow in a such poor family and becomes the Olympic All-Around Champion.

Lee was born Sunisa Phabsomphou[3] on March 9, 2003 to Yeev Thoj, a healthcare worker. When she was 2 years old her mother met John Lee, who became Sunisa's father. Although her parents never legally married, she made the decision to change her last name to her father's.[4] Lee is of Hmong descent;[5][6] both of her parents immigrated from Laos when they were children.[4] She has five siblings, sisters Shyenne and Evionn and brothers Jonah, Lucky and Noah.[7][8] Evionn also competed in artistic gymnastics at the regional level.[9]

17 months ago, Lee's gym shutdown due to the coronavirus. She further endured a broken foot, and the loss of two relatives to COVID-19. Before that, in 2019, her father, John Lee fell from a tree he was trimming and was seriously injured. The accident happened a day before she was set to compete for the U.S. championships.

At six years old,[10] Lee started gymnastics at the Midwest Gymnastics Center in Little Canada, Minnesota,[9] where she still trains.
A little more on Suni’s family. Both her parents emigrated from war torn Laos to the US when they were children. Her father is a US Navy veteran. What a remarkable story of a remarkable family……

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
There is a term in gymnastics I heard yesterday for the first time, “the twisties.” It’s when a gymnast inexplicably loses their sense of timing and feel in the air. Evidently, it occurs to some gymnasts. As I mentioned in another post, Biles has struggled in the air since the US trials over a month ago.

One reporter suggested it’s like the “yips” or “shanks” in golf, both of which I am sadly familiar with. The difference is that nobody can be seriously injured from a bad case of the yips or shanks, unless of course someone is standing 20 yards in front of me and to the right when I tee off.

I cannot know what precipitated Biles case of the twisties or how to fix it. For anyone who watched a slow motion replay of her vault a few days ago, there was a look of alarm on her face as she flailed with her arms in midair, seemingly without full control.

I think that vault scared the hell out of Biles. Upon reflection, I think her decision to withdraw for her own safety and so as not to be a burden on her team was the correct decision. I sincerely hope that she will be at peace with that decision.
This subject is so hard to understand, after all to look at Biles walking, talking there is no apparent problem. The problem is we can't see into her mind we just don't know what has triggered her reaction. I coached a sport that had inherent danger, in every attempt, women's high jump. In coaching from middle school, high school and Jr. Olympics I have seen where one bad jump one bad landing can cause panic and near paralysis. Early in my coaching tenure one of my better jumpers after coming down on a missed jump landed hard on her neck coming down on the bar. She was done for the day, back 2 days latter back at practice she was unable to jump, pulling up at the bar without any attempt at all. One of my other jumpers looked at her and called her a ninny. I knew it was time to step in and we coined the term "ninnyhood", hence it was then that rather than her being a ninny she had a bout of ninnyhood. In most cases with time the problem was corrected.
Another thing that we saw was fear of failure, after a bad attempt or a bad day self doubt can creep in. This can be as debilitating. Who's to say what Biles is facing in her head, I doubt she even knows for sure. I watched a piece made for broadcast during the games in which it was alluded that there was no one who could beat her. It looks like the question has been answered, the only person able to beat her was Biles herself.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This subject is so hard to understand, after all to look at Biles walking, talking there is no apparent problem. The problem is we can't see into her mind we just don't know what has triggered her reaction. I coached a sport that had inherent danger, in every attempt, women's high jump. In coaching from middle school, high school and Jr. Olympics I have seen where one bad jump one bad landing can cause panic and near paralysis. Early in my coaching tenure one of my better jumpers after coming down on a missed jump landed hard on her neck coming down on the bar. She was done for the day, back 2 days latter back at practice she was unable to jump, pulling up at the bar without any attempt at all. One of my other jumpers looked at her and called her a ninny. I knew it was time to step in and we coined the term "ninnyhood", hence it was then that rather than her being a ninny she had a bout of ninnyhood. In most cases with time the problem was corrected.
Another thing that we saw was fear of failure, after a bad attempt or a bad day self doubt can creep in. This can be as debilitating. Who's to say what Biles is facing in her head, I doubt she even knows for sure. I watched a piece made for broadcast during the games in which it was alluded that there was no one who could beat her. It looks like the question has been answered, the only person able to beat her was Biles herself.
I never had a fear of heights until one day, up on a ladder cleaning windows, not unlike John Lee, the ladder shifted and I fell. After two broken ribs, one punctured lung and my first and only helicopter ride to a regional trauma hospital, today I cannot climb a ladder without getting the cold sweats, even to change a lightbulb in the kitchen.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
"One reporter suggested it’s like the “yips” or “shanks” in golf, both of which I am sadly familiar with. The difference is that nobody can be seriously injured from a bad case of the yips..."
I have to wholeheartedly disagree. I had a case of the yips and I felt seriously injured by it! ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have to wholeheartedly disagree. I had a case of the yips and I felt seriously injured by it! ;)
If you expand the concept of injury to include financial losses on the golf course, then I guess I suffered serious injury from the yips as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom