Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
People want to tell me that Collier deserves her spot on this team over Ogwumike after her performance tonight? Collier looked lost out there, granted that it was only 2 minutes.
This has been addressed ad nauseam. Collier is playing the 3. Ogwumike is a post. If there's a player who took Nneka's spot, it was A'ja Wilson, the only first-timer post player.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't think I have ever seen a USA team play worse defense and the offense wasn't all that great either. Interesting refs as well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
People want to tell me that Collier deserves her spot on this team over Ogwumike after her performance tonight? Collier looked lost out there, granted that it was only 2 minutes.
Ariel didn’t play, and Sky and Phee looked shaky. Let’s see if they settle down.

Reaction Score
Everyone seems interested in getting each other involved. The only aggressive player was Aja. Stewie needs to start looking for her shot more often

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I don't think I have ever seen a USA team play worse defense and the offense wasn't all that great either. Interesting refs as well.
The second quarter was the best they played. D was better and they moved the ball. But it’s hard to have anything work smooth with the level of physicality they allow now. It’s off the charts. I’m not happy it’s evolved to this. Instead of seeing team work, nice plays and talented players it’s like a bunch of animals scratching and clawing for the ball. Just not satisfying to watch.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IF Nigeria was able to add Chiney and Nneka Ogwumike as well as Elizabeth Williams would they be considered the favorites to win the next Olympic Gold Medal Game? Chiney is already eligible to play for Nigeria

If the Ogwumike sisters join the Nigera team, I would expect that Arike Ogunbowale would also join the team.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
IF Nigeria was able to add Chiney and Nneka Ogwumike as well as Elizabeth Williams would they be considered the favorites to win the next Olympic Gold Medal Game? Chiney is already eligible to play for Nigeria

If the Ogwumike sisters join the Nigera team, I would expect that Arike Ogunbowale would also join the team.
If we are dealing with alternate realities, than maybe Nigeria would be this uber talented team that doesn't play to it's potential unlike this close scrappy unit we see today

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
She played 2 freakin minutes, I bet you were chomping at the bit to make that comment. Lets put this Ogwumike crap behind us and just watch the games. Enough is enough!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I guess it is real that the pressure of a first timer at the Olympics is really unlike any other pressure. Which first time Olympians on the US team really shined in their first Olympics?

Reaction Score
Very sloppy game against Nigeria who pressed all game long. USA was up by more than 20 at one point but Nigeria was very physical and quicker to the ball than us. Bird had 11 assists, several in a row when the USA went on a run. D had 10 points in the first half but didn't score after that. Wilson played great. Our bigs made a lot of turnovers. There were stretches of good chemistry and high level basketball and also periods of disjointed play. Our inside game is overwhelming but after Sue there is no true point. Gray played well in the last 3 minutes but is still dribbling way too much, just not a pure point. All in all, it was a different team with Sue and D out there together.

Reaction Score
Canada was terrible shooting the ball. 5-29 from 3.
Don't forget their issues shooting 2 pointers too. This was a struggle the whole game.
Not an upset IMO. Serbia took bronze in Rio and won the Eurobasket this year. They have experienced, world-class players like Vasic and Dabovic. Not to be taken lightly.
Their ball movement was excellent yesterday. Their pick and rolls were excellent catching Canada defensively throughout the game.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Very sloppy game against Nigeria who pressed all game long. USA was up by more than 20 at one point but Nigeria was very physical and quicker to the ball than us. Bird had 11 assists, several in a row when the USA went on a run. D had 10 points in the first half but didn't score after that. Wilson played great. Our bigs made a lot of turnovers. There were stretches of good chemistry and high level basketball and also periods of disjointed play. Our inside game is overwhelming but after Sue there is no true point. Gray played well in the last 3 minutes but is still dribbling way too much, just not a pure point. All in all, it was a different team with Sue and D out there together.
I completely agree, the offence flows when Sue is out there, and she gets the ball to the Bigs. The outside shooting is really bad, so the major problem as I see it is that when Sue is on the bench nobody wants to play PG. They are all looking for their own shot, and the Bigs are not getting involved enough. Between Stewart, Wilson, Griner, Charles and Fowels, we have the best collection of Bigs in the world. With our poor 3 Pt shooting, the bulk of their scoring has to be in the paint, so what we need is a guard besides Sue to step up and take over the duties of a pure PG and get the ball inside. Maybe Dawn has to suit up and play.

Reaction Score
25 turnovers for a USA women's basketball team?

Something has changed. Cosmic shift.
A lot by the bigs but far too many from our guards. There is only one point guard on this team and she is 41 years old. We had Lindsay Whalen 5 years ago who spelled Sue and created her own form of chaos. Loyd, Gray, Skylar, Atkins, are nowhere near a true point.

Reaction Score
Hey. I will take the "W". Always room for improvement. Use this game as a measuring stick. Props to Team Nigeria!! Holy smokes! If they can play like this the rest of the tournament, they gonna shock a team or two. Loved their "Fear" mindset. But they were playing Team USA. So we tend to bring out the best in teams. Good to see D out there on the floor. We definitely need her attitude and leadership out there.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Our next game is against Japan on Friday.
Same time...12:40 AM...that is EDT...on USA Network.
I am assuming there will be a replay of that game Friday afternoon by USA Network...similar to what they will do with a replay of the Nigeria game this afternoon [Tuesday at 4:15.]

Last pool play game is Monday August 2 and then the medal games later that week.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Hey. I will take the "W". Always room for improvement. Use this game as a measuring stick. Props to Team Nigeria!! Holy smokes! If they can play like this the rest of the tournament, they gonna shock a team or two. Loved their "Fear" mindset. But they were playing Team USA. So we tend to bring out the best in teams. Good to see D out there on the floor. We definitely need her attitude and leadership out there.
The US team has plenty of problems, but it's hard to extrapolate too much from the Nigeria game because Nigeria is very unlike any other team. One might describe their playing style as frantic on acid. I give them kudos for their high energy swarming, and for taking advantage for the extreme amount of physical contact that apparently is allowable in FIBA play.

I'll be interested to see how Nigeria does against Japan and France. I personally would be surprised if they win either game, but who knows.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
A lot by the bigs but far too many from our guards. There is only one point guard on this team and she is 41 years old. We had Lindsay Whalen 5 years ago who spelled Sue and created her own form of chaos. Loyd, Gray, Skylar, Atkins, are nowhere near a true point.
The dilemma is that Taurasi is probably the second best point guard on the team, but you really want to play her and Sue together because of their wonderful synergy. So they are usually on the bench at the same time.

Reaction Score
I guess it is real that the pressure of a first timer at the Olympics is really unlike any other pressure. Which first time Olympians on the US team really shined in their first Olympics?
A'ja Wilson and unless I am mistaken Stewart was pretty good too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The dilemma is that Taurasi is probably the second best point guard on the team, but you really want to play her and Sue together because of their wonderful synergy. So they are usually on the bench at the same time.
Exactly, although Dawn bridged the gap at times and put Sue back in alone with Gray when it got close again. I don't understand how they picked this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom