Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Canada led from start to finish and defeated South Korea, 74-53.

Leading scorers for Canada were B. Carleton (18), N. Achonwa (14), K. Alexander (10), K. Nurse (9) and S. Colley (9). Nurse and Carleton were the minutes leaders (34 and 32); no one else played more than 23.

Much like in the first game, Aaliyah Edwards played sparse seconds and had no stats.

Upcoming games:
Thu. 4:20 a.m. ET: Spain vs. Serbia
Thu. 9:00 p.m. ET: Belgium vs. Puerto Rico
Fri. 12:40 a.m. ET: United States vs. Japan

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The 2016 Olympic team was possibly the greatest team ever. Everyone was a future 1st ballot Naismith Hall of Famer at or near the peak of her career, other than Tamika Catchings, who is already in the HOF. The end of the bench consisted of Catch, Stewie, and EDD. Yikes!

Bird #1 pick, GOAT
Taurasi #1 pick, MVP, GOAT
Moore #1 pick, MVP
Charles #1 pick, MVP
Griner #1 pick
Fowles #2 pick, MVP
Whalen #4 pick
Augustus #1 pick
McCoughtry #1 pick
DelleDonne #2 pick, 2x MVP
Stewart #1 pick, MVP
Catchings #3 pick, MVP

11 of the 12 players were the #1 overall pick and/or a past or future WNBA MVP. These were the best of the best.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The 2016 Olympic team was possibly the greatest team ever. Everyone was a future 1st ballot Naismith Hall of Famer at or near the peak of her career, other than Tamika Catchings, who is already in the HOF. The end of the bench consisted of Catch, Stewie, and EDD. Yikes!

Bird #1 pick, GOAT
Taurasi #1 pick, MVP, GOAT
Moore #1 pick, MVP
Charles #1 pick, MVP
Griner #1 pick
Fowles #2 pick, MVP
Whalen #4 pick
Augustus #1 pick
McCoughtry #1 pick
DelleDonne #2 pick, 2x MVP
Stewart #1 pick, MVP
Catchings #3 pick, MVP

11 of the 12 players were the #1 overall pick and/or a past or future WNBA MVP. These were the best of the best.
The 2016 team IMO was the greatest ever, no doubt, but not because of their individual bona fides, impressive as they are. It was the combination of experience and chemistry that really set them apart from all other teams in history.

Nine out of the 12 were returning Olympians, and 2 of the 3 Olympic rookies (Griner and EDD) were already multi-time WNBA All-Stars by 2016.

The cohesiveness, chemistry and flow was far and away the best I've ever seen on any team. The coaching staff implemented effective systems for both offense and defense, and all the players knew and excelled in their roles.

Not only is this year's team 50% rookies, but it just can't be overstated what a huge net negative the turnover at guard and wing has been. Spots vacated by Whalen, Augustus, Moore, McCoughtry and Delle Donne are now held by Diggins, Gray, Loyd, Atkins and Collier. There's just no sugar-coating what a collective downgrade that is.

Even for those partisans inclined to doubt Dawn's coaching, the coaching staff also includes two of the greatest coaching minds of our time in Cheryl Reeve and Dan Hughes. (I'll refrain from including Rizzotti in that league.) I keep thinking that surely, from all that experience and knowledge on the bench, must emerge something better than what we've seen thus far.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Canada led from start to finish and defeated South Korea, 74-53.

Leading scorers for Canada were B. Carleton (18), N. Achonwa (14), K. Alexander (10), K. Nurse (9) and S. Colley (9). Nurse and Carleton were the minutes leaders (34 and 32); no one else played more than 23.

Much like in the first game, Aaliyah Edwards played sparse seconds and had no stats.

Upcoming games:
Thu. 4:20 a.m. ET: Spain vs. Serbia
Thu. 9:00 p.m. ET: Belgium vs. Puerto Rico
Fri. 12:40 a.m. ET: United States vs. Japan
Carleton was a stud. Tough drives, rebounds and defense all over the place

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Cazorla with 3 big 3's to turn a 9 pt deficit to 2. Fun game.

Reaction Score
The 2016 team IMO was the greatest ever, no doubt, but not because of their individual bona fides, impressive as they are. It was the combination of experience and chemistry that really set them apart from all other teams in history.

Nine out of the 12 were returning Olympians, and 2 of the 3 Olympic rookies (Griner and EDD) were already multi-time WNBA All-Stars by 2016.

The cohesiveness, chemistry and flow was far and away the best I've ever seen on any team. The coaching staff implemented effective systems for both offense and defense, and all the players knew and excelled in their roles.

Not only is this year's team 50% rookies, but it just can't be overstated what a huge net negative the turnover at guard and wing has been. Spots vacated by Whalen, Augustus, Moore, McCoughtry and Delle Donne are now held by Diggins, Gray, Loyd, Atkins and Collier. There's just no sugar-coating what a collective downgrade that is.

Even for those partisans inclined to doubt Dawn's coaching, the coaching staff also includes two of the greatest coaching minds of our time in Cheryl Reeve and Dan Hughes. (I'll refrain from including Rizzotti in that league.) I keep thinking that surely, from all that experience and knowledge on the bench, must emerge something better than what we've seen thus far.
I think they will improve because they are practicing and playing more together and because of D and Sue leading them but there are not a lot of coaching moves that can solve this horrible team selection. The biggest issue is to unleash Stewie and if that means sliding her to the 4 with Wilson or someone else at the 5 and playing 3 guards then it had to be tried as it was against Nigeria. The problem is who is the third guard? None of the non-starters were suitable as a 3 in my mind so you are weakening that position if you move Stewie out of it. How did they not figure this out when picking this team?

Reaction Score
Sabrina and Paige would be pretty impressive, although they might save Paige for 2028 at which time Azzi would be ready.
Don't think so. By 2024 Paige will be 3 years older and better and of "Jordanesque" type stature in 1984. I also expect Clark, Plum, Sabrina and Aliisha Gray to be in the running for guard spots. Azzi will be a rising senior but anything is possible with her shot.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Cazorla with 3 big 3's to turn a 9 pt deficit to 2. Fun game.
Didn't watch this game in the dead of night, but I see that Serbia led by as much as 9 in the 3rd quarter before Spain came roaring back, apparently with significant help from Cazorla, and ended up winning by 85-70.

Spain's scoring was led by Torrens (25), Ndour (20) and Cazorla, who came off the bench to score 17. Great game from the former Oregon Duck.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Didn't watch this game in the dead of night, but I see that Serbia led by as much as 9 in the 3rd quarter before Spain came roaring back, apparently with significant help from Cazorla, and ended up winning by 85-70.

Spain's scoring was led by Torrens (25), Ndour (20) and Cazorla, who came off the bench to score 17. Great game from the former Oregon Duck.
Actually NDour was the real hero imo. Challenging hard on the boards and concerting multiple and ones. Just a beast. Just like game 1

Reaction Score
Disappointed in the guard play outside of Sue, Diana, and Jewell. They can't play 40 minutes at 2 positions between the 3 of them.

Against a Nigerian team that was supposed to be way overmatched, the guard subs were just not good.

Will be very interesting to see how they do going forward.

Reaction Score
I did believe that A. Edwards would be more of a force on Team Canada. Anyone else surprised?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I did believe that A. Edwards would be more of a force on Team Canada. Anyone else surprised?
Yes and even Geno must be going "What?" when she could net get a few minutes at the end of the game up 20 but Amihere showed a more offensive driving game in the games leading up and Canada needs offense . I am sure this will fuel her to get better

Reaction Score
Yes and even Geno must be going "What?" when she could net get a few minutes at the end of the game up 20 but Amihere showed a more offensive driving game in the games leading up and Canada needs offense . I am sure this will fuel her to get better
I first thought she might get significant time because Achonwa was recovering from injury, but she recovered. Playing behind Amihere, however, is pretty disappointing, I didn't expect that, and it hurts even more when she is a player on perhaps our biggest challenger this year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I first thought she might get significant time because Achonwa was recovering from injury, but she recovered. Playing behind Amihere, however, is pretty disappointing, I didn't expect that, and it hurts even more when she is a player on perhaps our biggest challenger this year.
Amihere had that "aha" moment in the Brazil game where she just went bonkers on drives facing the basket from the post and her confidence has clearly not diminished. Aaliyah will get there but it will be more gradual

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I believe the average margin of victory was close to 30 ppg. They struggled in only 1 game--the game Sue missed due to injury.

Reaction Score

No.

From what I was reading before she got picked it looked like she wasn't going to get picked to even make the team.

Secondly, she is very young.

OFC I didn't "know it." But not surprised she isn't getting much time.

Third, but I wouldn't have expected her "to be a force." She wasn't "a force" vs Tennessee, Arkansas, South Carolina, Baylor, or Arizona. Only vs Iowa. If she wasn't a consistent force in wcbb then being so young no way I'd expect she'd be a force in Olympics.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
OMG, Japan leading 30-28 after 1Q. Making every 3pt shot and now going on an intense full court trap defense. Only Stewie playing really well with 3pt shoots of her own.

Plebe

Reaction Score
OMG, Japan leading 30-28 after 1Q. Making every 3pt shot and now going on an intense full court trap defense. Only Stewie playing really well with 3pt shoots of her own.
Stewie was 3-5 from 3 and D was 2-2. Good thing they were hitting from deep because otherwise we'd be down double digits with this non-defense we're playing.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Stewie was 3-5 from 3 and D was 2-2. Good thing they were hitting from deep because otherwise we'd be down double digits with this non-defense we're playing.
Yeah, they're ahead now, but the weakness does seem to be the defense, against quick Japanese players.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Much better 2Q (49-38 at half) since Japan is being better contested on 3 but they are really magicians on those drives. Some open layups missed at end of really shifty drives

Diana still brilliant but Sue cant buy a 3.

Reaction Score
Dawn running the reserves with Bird for the 4th Qtr. against Japan's starters, and they are holding their own thus far.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom