Olympic Team Announced | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Olympic Team Announced

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I suspect FIBA will ignore the fact that Chiney's and Nneka's interest in the development of basketball globally arose after they were denied the opportunity to play for the USA. And how does it help basketball in Nigeria to bring in American players just for the Olympics? Others can answer that.

Hope Nneka can play.

Chiney's interest in the development of basketball globally has been part of her life since she was in college. She did a study abroad program in Nigeria (she has her degree in International Relations) and worked with non-profits around the continent to put on clinics and build basketball courts. She also partnered with NBA Africa to launch "Power Forward" which is a youth engagement initiative that uses basketball as a tool to develop health, leadership, and life skills in Nigeria.

It helps basketball in Nigeria if these WNBA players help elevate their results in the Olympics and creates buzz in the country. So, there is an easy case of reason there. Will they have it approved? Who knows. But the country having success in a sport on the world stage would create buzz in said country.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Chiney's interest in the development of basketball globally has been part of her life since she was in college. She did a study abroad program in Nigeria (she has her degree in International Relations) and worked with non-profits around the continent to put on clinics and build basketball courts. She also partnered with NBA Africa to launch "Power Forward" which is a youth engagement initiative that uses basketball as a tool to develop health, leadership, and life skills in Nigeria.

It helps basketball in Nigeria if these WNBA players help elevate their results in the Olympics and creates buzz in the country. So, there is an easy case of reason there. Will they have it approved? Who knows. But the country having success in a sport on the world stage would create buzz in said country.

Thanks. I meant playing for Nigeria as a way to develop basketball arose recently. No Ogwumike has played for Nigeria in any of the qualifying tournaments. I know that was not an option for Nneka who believed she would make the US team but maybe it was for Chiney. I honestly don’t know what’s better for Nigerian basketball; is it giving the players who helped Nigeria qualify the Olympic experience or is it bringing in US players who are better and want an Olympic experience they couldn’t get with the US? Ultimately that is for the Nigerian Federation to decide and seems they believe it is better to bring in the US players and hope to improve the results. You make good arguments and I expect the FIBA Sec General will grant the exception.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This interview on Renee's podcast was deservedly posted by @Stoli in its own thread, but I'm cross-posting it here because it includes an interesting segment where Geno goes into some detail regarding the selection decisions in 2012, 2016 and 2021.

I wouldn't expect this to move the needle in terms of assuaging his critics, but the insights are worth a listen. Segment starts at 17:48.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks. I meant playing for Nigeria as a way to develop basketball arose recently. No Ogwumike has played for Nigeria in any of the qualifying tournaments. I know that was not an option for Nneka who believed she would make the US team but maybe it was for Chiney. I honestly don’t know what’s better for Nigerian basketball; is it giving the players who helped Nigeria qualify the Olympic experience or is it bringing in US players who are better and want an Olympic experience they couldn’t get with the US? Ultimately that is for the Nigerian Federation to decide and seems they believe it is better to bring in the US players and hope to improve the results. You make good arguments and I expect the FIBA Sec General will grant the exception.
Since the USA committee has approved them playing for Nigeria, it should be approved.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't expect this to move the needle in terms of assuaging his critics, but the insights are worth a listen. Segment starts at 17:48.

But again -- he gives the reason. Yet some of these writers are just so bitter anti-UCONN just want to claim that "Geno declines comment."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But again -- he gives the reason. Yet some of these writers are just so bitter anti-UCONN just want to claim that "Geno declines comment."
Geno does give some very well thought out explanations for the selection of the 2012, 2016 and 2021 teams. Geno also admits that Napheesa over Neka was going to have its critics regardless of which one was picked. He specifically points out that Neka was similar to Tina, Stewie and Sylvia where as Napheesa was more versatile and could do some different things for the team and selected as "a nod to the future." Thanks to our BY for finding and posting this video.
These are exactly the kind of basketball explanations that many have been looking for devoid of the personality ,UCONN Politics, Geno hatin driven conspiracy theories. I also agree with @bbsamjj these explanation should not be coming from Geno they should be coming from USA basketball and since this involves the selection of the national team should be presented in a national publication vs Renee's podcast.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It is hard to discuss publicly because their are alot of intangibles inherent in these decisions. As I mentioned in another thread, Coach Reeve is playing Naphessa 40 minutes every game for the last couple if the game is even remotely in question.. Even on games when some statistics do not meet her normal standards

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Complaining over not making the Olympic team is not a good look for Neka, nor was it a good look for Parker a few years back. It second guesses the extremely difficult choices associated with coaching, selecting and managing the national team when all Americans should be supporting and celebrating that team.

Going back to the 2016 Olympics when Jewel Lloyd did not make the team, she was gracious and thankful for the opportunity. Pheesa demonstrated the same level of class when she was left off the world championship team by Dawn.

Low and behold, both Jewel & Pheesa are going to Tokyo as members of the USA 2021 Olympic team. Perhaps there’s a lesson in there.

Last edited:

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Complaining over not making the Olympic team is not a good look for Neka, nor was it a good look for Parker a few years back. It second guesses the extremely difficult choices associated with coaching, selecting and managing the national team when all Americans should be supporting and celebrating that team.

Going back to the 2016 Olympics when Jewel Lloyd did not make the team, she was gracious and thankful for the opportunity. Pheesa demonstrated the same level of class when she was left off the world championship team by Dawn.

Low and behold, both Jewel & Pheesa are going to Tokyo as members of the USA 2021 Olympic team. Perhaps there’s a lesson in there.
Unless I missed it, Nneka, herself, hasn't spoken publicly about being left off this Olympic team. Writers, her coach, other (former and current) players, have spoken out in support of her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unless I missed it, Nneka, herself, hasn't spoken publicly about being left off this Olympic team. Writers, her coach, other (former and current) players, have spoken out in support of her.
If that’s so, then Nneka deserves credit for not getting caught up in the circus of complaints. Evidently, Parker is once again one of the most vocal complaining about Neka’s snub. Derek Fischer also complained, but he gets a pass IMO for basically supporting his player.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If that’s so, then Nneka deserves credit for not getting caught up in the circus of complaints. Evidently, Parker is once again one of the most vocal complaining about Neka’s snub. Derek Fischer also complained, but he gets a pass IMO for basically supporting his player.
I do think she has spoken about it - not sure if she was asked directly but...

Nneka, Chiney, Erica Ogwumike, all listed on Nigeria's provisional roster

Every article you read drones on and on about her being the "only WNBA MVP to never have made an Olympic team". Um... She was MVP in 2016. This is 5 years later. Regardless, here is some info and some quotes: It seems like a lot of info I've copied and pasted, but it's only a small portion of the fairly long article.

Nneka contacted USA Basketball and told them she was interested in pursuing a chance to play with Nigeria. The Ogwumikes' parents, Peter and Ify, were both born in Nigeria and immigrated to the United States, where their daughters were born. The Ogwumike sisters have dual citizenship with the United States and Nigeria.

USA Basketball has released both Nneka and Chiney, which was required since both previously have competed for the United States in FIBA-sanctioned events. Generally, if players have done that after having reached their 17th birthday, they are not allowed to play for another country in a FIBA event. However, according to FIBA's regulations on player eligibility, the organization's secretary general may authorize a player to compete for the national team of his or her country of origin if this is in the interest of the growth of basketball in that country.

"It was more of a hurt than a shock, because I had experienced it before," Nneka said of also not being named to the U.S. Olympic team in 2012 and 2016. "But there are decisions made in this life that you can't control. I allowed myself to feel the hurt, but moving on, I decided, 'I'm going to try to put matters in my own hands.'"

"It's something I know my family would be very proud of," Nneka Ogwumike told ESPN Tuesday. "For it to happen would be such a blessing. To be able to do something big for a big part of our heritage would be fantastic. I'm hoping it will contribute to the growth we're experiencing for Africa in basketball."

"The running joke was who was the family going to root for, because I was planning on playing against Erica," Nneka said of thinking she would be on Team USA. "But, you know, life unfolds in some beautiful ways: To be able to possibly share the highest athletic honor with not only Chiney, but my youngest sister."

"I just wanted to bet on myself and also be a part of an organization that prioritizes me," she said of her hopes to play for Team Nigeria now. "My perspective was like, 'If it's not impossible, I'm going to go for it.' Because I believe I have Olympic status and I plan on being an Olympian."

Nneka said she wanted to be fully open with the Nigerian federation and USA Basketball about her hopes.

"I didn't want it to be secretive," she said. "It was something that I wanted to do, and I would hope that they understood. And they did. In these moments, being transparent, I think, is most important."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom