Olympic team....5:45 on Friday....who makes it? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Olympic team....5:45 on Friday....who makes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I wish the selection announcement would have been handled differently for three reasons:
1. To allow all of the focus to be on those who were selected
2. To ensure that this weekend was about women's college basketball and not the Olympic team
3. To allow BG AND Geno to focus only on the FF and not the Olympics. Had this announcement not occurred at this time I doubt that either of them would have been asked about London.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I would not be one bit surprised if the committee told Griner that she is on the team but they are withholding the
announcement so she can completely focus on the final four without lots of questions on the London games.
Their omission of the 12th member may in fact lead to more questions than simply naming her...so they might have been wrong in their method of 'protecting' her
but I do wonder if she has been given the quiet nod already.

Geno's recent raves about her game and his overall comments on how much he likes her off the court don't necessarily
mean selection of course but I doubt he would have gone public to the extent he did unless he knew she was on the team.
Blake, I am hoping that this is what happened.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Blake, I am hoping that this is what happened.
That was my expectation the moment I saw the open spot and Griner's absence. I, personally, think it is the best way to address all aspects of the situation.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I would hope so when the team is representing us internationally.

I agree. I hope it is their responsibility to choose players who would best represent the spirit of the games.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Maybe they will make the announcement of her inclusion to the Olympic team when they present her with the FF MVP trophy.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maybe they will make the announcement of her inclusion to the Olympic team when they present her with the FF MVP trophy.
That would not surprise me at all if she ends up as the MOP of the FF which I do not think is a given. It is not an MVP.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
On Cappie: they weren't thrilled whe she blew off the recent competition in Europe to focus
on her fashion career in New York.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
On Cappie: they weren't thrilled whe she blew off the recent competition in Europe to focus
on her fashion career in New York.
That's a real understatement. The committee saw that as a very serious indication of her lack of interest.. I just hope she gets another chance, because her talent is undeniable.

Reaction Score
Meet The Team

Eleven players were named to the U.S. Olympic women's basketball team Friday. A 12th player will be added some time before the London Games, which begin July 27:
PlayerPosition
Seimone Augustus F
Sue Bird G
Swin Cash F
Tamika Catchings F
Tina Charles C
Sylvia Fowles C
Angel McCoughtry F
Maya Moore F
Candace Parker F/C/G
Diana Taurasi G/F
Lindsay Whalen G

With the addition of BG seems we may be a little tall on centers and short on guards?
Hope none of our ball handlers get sick or injured.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well not to toot my own horn......but toot, toot. (just add Griner, which I think they will) :cool:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Tomato, tomato.
No, no they can and should be seen as very different things. In the case of BG I do think they converge. But if BG ends up in foul trouble and Baylor were to lose someoneelse might win MOP but BG would still likely win an MVP.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
No, no they can and should be seen as very different things. In the case of BG I do think they converge. But if BG ends up in foul trouble and Baylor were to lose someoneelse might win MOP but BG would still likely win an MVP.

I stand thoroughly corrected.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I stand thoroughly corrected.
You're new to this site. It is a discussion we have thoroughly hashed out here various times. I thought it was semantics at first but was ultimately won over by those who defined the difference.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

So there is both an MVP and MOP of the Final Four?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I believe in the past it has been Most Outstanding Player.

OK. Then I guess I don't understand your explanation that BG could be named the MVP but not MOP since my previous post said FF MVP. So basically, it would be FF MOP. Call it MVP or MOP, it's all the same to me.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
OK. Then I guess I don't understand your explanation that BG could be named the MVP but not MOP since my previous post said FF MVP. So basically, it would be FF MOP. Call it MVP or MOP, it's all the same to MVP indicates the person most critical to their team. I suggest that is BG hands down.

MOP might be someone, say Tiff Hayes, who in the two games of the weekend has a pair of 20+ point games with other excellent supporting stats while Griner sits in foul trouble and loses. Griner's value in such a situation might well be demonstrated by her absence as well as her dominance of play when she is on the court but in her absence she was not the most outstanding player of the FF. The Most Outstanding Player would be Hayes who raised her game to lead her team to the championship. Now consider Griner is in that foul trouble in the game against Stanford and Baylor loses against Stanford and Stanford loses in the NC game. Griner's critical value to Baylor would be very accentuated but her play as MOP of the FF not so much if someone puts together two solid games to her one. In other words MVP can be emphasized by both presence and absence but MOP is only revealed by play on the court over the weekend. I hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom