Olympic Oops? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Olympic Oops?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This controversy will not go away until this Olympic team wins the gold medal this summer. And if it doesn't, then this thread will seem prescient. One poster suggested that we just keep quiet and "trust" the Olympic committee and head coach. People are fallible, and this could be a mistake. Even Coach Geno has made mistakes in the past, though precious few. He blamed himself for a flawed game strategy in the Final Four loss during Maya's senior season.

Far from going away, this will definitely heat up as the team begins playing games. Sue Bird will have the spotlight shining brightly on her. Britney Griner will have the spotlight on her as well.

The proof of the pudding, as they say. But these selections are certainly controversial, and no one on the committee or the coaching staff has explained these choices in a coherent fashion.

So decide not to discuss, or decide to participate. But we're going to be thinking about this, if not posting about it, from now through August.
Yeah but if they win gold, will you all come on and eat crow?!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Unfortunately for Nneka and Candace they play in the WNBA and not on the National team in international competition against other National teams, so what LA does has no bearing on the issue. Surprisingly most of the Olympic team comes from WNBA championship winners and and WNBA players that have made it to the finals, hmmm, maybe there is something in that after all. The only ones not to play in a WNBA final is Tina and the rookie.
Too convenient to use WNBA finals appearances as the measure instead of actually winning a championship it would have been a bigger list besides Tina. Also if the measure stick is active former WNBA MVP the list is much more "exclusive"-CP only.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Too convenient to use WNBA finals appearances as the measure instead of actually winning a championship it would have been a bigger list besides Tina. Also if the measure stick is active former WNBA MVP the list is much more "exclusive"-CP only.
Yeah but it isn't like the high jump - it is a team sport.
And yeah WNBA champion drops two more players - Tina, EDD, and Angel.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Assuming this is not sarcasm, everybody lies (courtesy of "House, MD"). The committee exists solely to provide Geno with plausible deniability and shield him from scrutiny. Which is exactly as it should be.
It is not sarcasm at all simply truth. The committee is not the puppet you suppose. Sorry that you simply don't like the truth. Geno needs shade about as much as a Icebear in Churchill. Geno practice and habit is to provide shade to others.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah but if they win gold, will you all come on and eat crow?!
No. The USA hopes of winning a gold medal is/was never dependent on CP being on the team- so not the issue! The US is expected to win the Gold (especially with Geno coaching) and I will certainly be cheering loudly for the team. I will be bitterly disappointed if the USA doesn't win Gold but how could any rational person attribute a loss or bad play to CP not being on the team? Likewise , why should anyone eat crow because USA won Gold medal without CP?
The central issue, win or lose, remains as @hoophuskee expressed best: He cares about CP being on the team because he is a WBB fan and wants to see USA "best & most brilliant players/team" on display on the international stage. This selection process for many WBB fan (including many UCONN fans & most/All TN fans ) "appears" to have gone contrary to that mantra of selecting your best & most brilliant players/team. So again I will continue to resist any efforts to convince that CP is not one of our best and most brilliant therefore worthy of being on this team. Phrases like "you know better than the committee?" are what one of our esteemed moderator call "conversation killers" and we can all pick a stat or game to argue for or against CP but this "appearance" does not & will not change. Someone once told me that once you smoke meat the smokiness last forever.
In two years Moriah Jefferson will be engaged in a struggle to make the national team with 3 players (Skylar, Kayla, Jewell) that happened to go to school at ND. May the best woman prevail and that selection process be free of politics, personality, marketability or anything non-basketball ability related, because as much I love me some MoJeff, I've been crushing on Skylar longer.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Here we go, in Siberia...Have fun!
It's still a moderated forum. People were just tired of the Parker topic. I thought a forum just for the Olympics would be an appropriate place for people to continue the discussion if they want. Same rules apply.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
It's still a moderated forum. People were just tired of the Parker topic. I thought a forum just for the Olympics would be an appropriate place for people to continue the discussion if they want. Same rules apply.
So if enough people are tired of a topic and tell you that, then you will pull it?

Reaction Score
It is not sarcasm at all simply truth. The committee is not the puppet you suppose. Sorry that you simply don't like the truth. Geno needs shade about as much as a Icebear in Churchill. Geno practice and habit is to provide shade to others.

Disagree with you on all this 100%, and sorry, you are not the purveyor of any truth, whether basketball or spiritual. It is solely your opinion, nothing more.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
Here we go, in Siberia...Have fun!
"Here we go, in Siberia," you must have had foreknowledge, because the administrator had not yet announced the thread's banishment.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
"Here we go, in Siberia," you must have had foreknowledge, because the administrator had not yet announced the thread's banishment.
I did announce that a new board had been set up to discuss the Olympics. I just moved an off-topic thread that was annoying posters to the appropriate board so that the handful of people who need to discuss it to death had a place to do it in peace. Banishment is your word, not mine.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I did announce that a new board had been set up to discuss the Olympics. I just moved an off-topic thread that was annoying posters to the appropriate board so that the handful of people who need to discuss it to death had a place to do it in peace. Banishment is your word, not mine.
Nan just concerned about the optics in this situation. A handful of people continued the debate, an equal number, (perhaps more) disengaged and no longer participated. One side of the debate instead of disengaging advocated "off to Siberia-a different place on the board". The topic is in a different place and the appearance is that the moderator sided with those that advocated a different place =banishment.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan just concerned about the optics in this situation. A handful of people continued the debate, an equal number, (perhaps more) disengaged and no longer participated. One side of the debate instead of disengaging advocated "off to Siberia-a different place on the board". The topic is in a different place and the appearance is that the moderator sided with those that advocated a different place =banishment.
No one mentioned Siberia until the thread was moved the this forum and Goodgood posted it. I'm the one that advocated setting up a separate board for people that want to debate a subject to death. The posts are all in this thread; scroll back.

I'm not concerned with "optics" (geez, the buzzword factory is working overtime). I'm concerned with keeping peace on the board and with avoiding deletions and locking of threads. If you guys want to examine this topic in excruciating detail, you can do it without annoying other posters who fill up my inbox with complaints.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
A-B to Candace Parker: This (Team) Bud’s not for you

weird...
E971D955BB434E03B72AE750C79F75D7.ashx

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Too bad they didn't replace her in the "after" version - then we would have final resolution on who it was that bumped her from the team.
But we all know that the person(s) who bumped her from the team wouldn't be wearing a uniform.

Reaction Score
Please let's not start this again. This topic is over on the Olympics board. Thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom