olliewood | The Boneyard

olliewood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like Ollie. One could argue that the team that win was largely JC team. That the current team just is not gelling and developing. You can be tough you can judge talent but the it factor of coaching a nowhere team to somewhere is something Calhoun knew. He knew it because he coached from bottom until he got to uconn. Not sure KO has the muster. Boat is trying too hard. Our big men are soft. There is no hustle. There is no chemistry. Out of one of the last time outs they didn't get a shot off. Players didn't always love him but jc coached a lot of shot to decent. I don't think Ollie can. I hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
I like Ollie. One could argue that the team that win was largely JC team. That the current team just is not gelling and developing. You can be tough you can judge talent but the it factor of coaching a nowhere team to somewhere is something Calhoun knew. He knew it because he coached from bottom until he got to uconn. Not sure KO has the muster. Boat is trying too hard. Our big men are soft. There is no hustle. There is no chemistry. Out of one of the last time outs they didn't get a shot off. Players didn't always love him but jc coached a lot of shot to decent. I don't think Ollie can. I hope I'm wrong.

Coach Calhoun, we all love you but you're drunk. Sleep it off.

Reaction Score
I wish. Hard week at work and this for Friday night. I just think Kevin is going to be forced to learn a ton on the job. This will be one of those years.

Reaction Score
I wish. Hard week at work and this for Friday night. I just think Kevin is going to be forced to learn a ton on the job. This will be one of those years.

You didn't take anything from beating Martelli, Wright, Hoiberg, Izzo, Donovan, Calipari? You don't think he can coach?

Reaction Score
I think he can coach game situations with a team with strong leaders like Bazz, Giffey and Deandre. This is a new unfamiliar situation. We will survive it but it's a huge test for a newish coach.

Reaction Score
I love how the same people were saying about Ollie after the national championship if he was the coach we would have won the title in 2012. Now he can't coach without JC's team. I love these people.

Reaction Score
Ollie spent two years building up last year's team. He basically had to start from scratch with no big men, coming off a season where we were overloaded with big men and didn't have enough guards (and a team in which Daniels and Giffey didn't play much at all). Last year's title was 100 percent Ollie - this wasn't a Steve Fisher or Tubby Smith deal.

Reaction Score
Only Brimah. And Tsam were brand new. Giffey. and Bazz had played lots at different stretches along the way. We definitely had to retool big men a couple of times. Wonder how good wolf would have been last year. I don't think Ollie can't coach. I love ollie. There can't be any denying that he was handed the program after a limited amount of coaching experience. To think there won't be learning curve moments like this is crazy. Again I wish I was drunk. Maybe I'm just stupid tonight.

Reaction Score
Only Brimah. And Tsam were brand new. Giffey. and Bazz had played lots at different stretches along the way. We definitely had to retool big men a couple of times. Wonder how good wolf would have been last year. I don't think Ollie can't coach. I love ollie. There can't be any denying that he was handed the program after a limited amount of coaching experience. To think there won't be learning curve moments like this is crazy. Again I wish I was drunk. Maybe I'm just stupid tonight.

We had to completely restructure our team after the exodus of 2012 - how we played on offense, our defensive philosophy, everything. We went from Drummond/Oriakhi at the 4/5, ridiculously big and physical inside but lacking scoring polish, to Olander at the 5 and a skinny Daniels trying to play 4. In that one season, we went from probably being too damn big and lacking enough perimeter threats, to getting absolutely killed on the glass and trying to win with small ball.

Ollie may have taken over some players that were recruited with JC as the head coach, but he had to shape that team entirely on his own to get it to be a champion. It wasn't like he just took over the same system and hit the ground running.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Well if there's a bright side, at least we won't have to hear all the talk and rumors about Ollie to the NBA after this season. I thought the football team losing to Army was my 2014 Husky fan low point until this game.

Reaction Score
The Connecticut fan base has a serious inferiority complex. No wonder ESPN and the power-5 don't see Connecticut as a valuable commodity. Ollie wins a national championship less than a year ago and loses to Yale and everyone wants to jump off a cliff. What the is wrong with Connecticut fans?!?! Learn to lose, and value the wins. Even the best teams out there can fall flat on any given day. Connecticut will be fine. They will be in the dance and likely will compete well. Will they win another Nat. Champ? ... WE don't know that but just gotta wait and find out.

Its only December, boys!! this is not how a defending championship fan base should be behaving

Reaction Score
Anyone notice the closeups of TV of ratso? His sunburn is intense and the aging process is causing an unworldly persona. Huskies are brave and fearless canines by definition. However, this current version is running scared of bulldogs. When ratso turns his demons loose in New Jersey, a white wash of slipping sledteam from the projects could project a final score of two to zip.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun's teams frequently sucked early in the year before they figured it out. So I don't think making such an argument against KO is accurate. I would also suggest KO helped recruit some of the kids he won with last year.

Reaction Score
What Ollie and staff are responsible for is that they didn't bring a pure shooter in in 14. Look Boat has never been the guy in college. And his size and lack of a consistent outside shot is the reason. The rest of our guards suck. Some might say "what about RP" Jury still out. Has no handle and a ugly looking release. Needs more time to evaluate. OC suck last year and seems to be a head case. The frontcourt has one anointed one and we need someone, anyone else to play. And as pointed out before by Mua and myself only one true SF on the roster.

Reaction Score
There have been many posts in the past on JC's teams about not getting a shot off or getting a bad shot off as time wore down, after a TO. So is inaccurate. His teams also had their last second woes in the past.

Now getting open looks with 4 seconds or less in the same corner can't happen. Then again he can't play D as well as coach. Here's a question for you - a 5'10 white dude who hasn't made a shot all night basically runs hard into the middle? Do you follow him or stand by the only spot he can beat you? KO can't coach that.......sorry as I mentioned in my post last evening this team doesn't have basketball smarts, pretty much anywhere on the court!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What Ollie and staff are responsible for is that they didn't bring a pure shooter in in 14. Look Boat has never been the guy in college. And his size and lack of a consistent outside shot is the reason. The rest of our guards suck. Some might say "what about RP" Jury still out. Has no handle and a ugly looking release. Needs more time to evaluate. OC suck last year and seems to be a head case. The frontcourt has one anointed one and we need someone, anyone else to play. And as pointed out before by Mau and myself only one true SF on the roster.

Reaction Score
This team is soft. The boards especially the offensive boards show that. That's the first thing Ollie has to clean up.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Sounds like some commentary after the Texas swing last year. It is going to take some time to replace 3 great players, Kromah, and Olander. Need to be patient.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
What? The other guys are never supposed to win?
You have one ball handler on the team and he had a sprained ankle.
Two guys have decided to take the season off: Calhoun and Purvis. Ollie could not plan for that.
Hamilton is a freshman. He needs to think catch and shoot before putting the ball down.
Cassell's made threes seem to come from the short corner. He needs to live there.
Brimah played great. It is hard to change every shot and rebound. Nolan did what he does.
Rebounding is a knack. Facey looked like he could rebound until this game. Lubin?
DHam at 4? Post DHam.
Ollie is still figuring out what he has. He has virtually no bench if one guy breaks down there is no
one behind them.
I thought he should not have scheduled Duke and Texas this year because this team had to figure out who could do what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom