Ollie threatening to sue UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Ollie threatening to sue UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DMIL, javjudah and Kathy are all members of the Ollie posse and maybe even family. You can't take anything they say seriously.
Paesano...you're trolling again with this fake news.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is sad.

My gut instinct is that Ollie is throwing up smokescreen after smokescreen, to try to divert attention. First he complained that he didn't get due process. Then it was....but you didn't fire Calhoun when he did bad things. Now he's complaining that UConn made public information that his own lawyers asked to be made public. He's doing everything but actually addressing the issue of the violations. It's the only way he can make this painful for UConn, but he makes himself look worse at every step as well.

Fortunately, the clock is ticking. He has to contest the ruling by Herbst either via arbitration or in court, in the next week or so. This latest was likely just a ploy to get UConn to raise it's settlement offer to him. I'm beginning to think @Chief00 could be right. He is acting like a guy negotiating to a specific number he feels he needs.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
"Some people, lol"

giphy.gif

why bother?

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
This is sad.

My gut instinct is that Ollie is throwing up smokescreen after smokescreen, to try to divert attention. First he complained that he didn't get due process. Then it was....but you didn't fire Calhoun when he did bad things. Now he's complaining that UConn made public information that his own lawyers asked to be made public. He's doing everything but actually addressing the issue of the violations. It's the only way he can make this painful for UConn, but he makes himself look worse at every step as well.

Fortunately, the clock is ticking. He has to contest the ruling by Herbst either via arbitration or in court, in the next week or so. This latest was likely just a ploy to get UConn to raise it's settlement offer to him. I'm beginning to think @Chief00 could be right. He is acting like a guy negotiating to a specific number he feels he needs.

I agree with everything about your post... with the exception of saying 'Chief was right'. He's just throwing $*** on the wall and hoping something sticks.

Reaction Score
I would expect a request for depositions from Susie, the AD (others in AD office, consultants, etc.) and anyone else in the decision making or discussion process that will get statements as to any discussions related to the decision to fire Ollie going back a couple of years at least with the sole purpose of examining the extent to which UConn basketball performance (losing, transfers, attendance, etc.) played in the discussions. Make UConn prove that the reason he was fired are solely due to those mentioned in the termination letter. I would expect some difficulty in the trail of discussions, some outside guys who would also be brought in (JC perhaps) and even some "memorialization and notes to meetings" that might say some stuff UConn would rather not have anyone see.

For example, if discussions were held between the AD and Herbst related to basketball team performance before the violations were brought to their attention and included discussions about the difficulty firing Ollie with the buyout I'd like to have that info to argue claiming cause to cover intent to fire for poor team performance and avoid the buyout.

If UConn violated Ollie's right to suppress the Miller statement it could be claimed that UConn's error mortally wounded Ollie's ability to get another NCAA coaching job having this unsubstantiated claim in the public domain. That could be worth millions. Pearl got another job, Sampson got another job (and neither of these guys won a NCAA championship) so even with poor performance Ollie had a shot at another job with the type of violations claimed in the firing - paying a recruit it's over; being charged with paying a recruit which you can't "unprove" would have just about the same effect as if he actually did it.

UConn could have paid Ollie (not saying they should have) and ended it. Now you deal with it. You hired him, gave him an extension and put the "cause" statements in there. You know the process for termination of an employee, don't complain when he fights back just as hard as you when your initial position was he was fired for cause and was due nothing (regardless of what your negotiating stance actually was, the firing was for cause and he was due nothing).
So well put. This comment captures the sentiment of the rub that I've had with this entire situation of Ollie's firing and the majority of the board not putting this square where it belongs. None of this happens if UCONN simply fired Ollie for the correct reasons around his performance in the head coaching role.

At that point find the money, pay him either the remaining value of his extended contract or you find a way to negotiate a settlement. None of these scenarios played out because of the Administration's "choice of reasoning" for Ollie's termination and now this is playing out in the most predictable manner. I have to believe the root of this strategic blunder in managing this situation was arrogance. There is a point where people start believing their own B.S. The Ollie bashing is simply the "shining object" that is running on a nuclear reactor on this board and not the reason this situation of Ollie's termination has escalated to where it is now. I have seen nothing to suggest that our great University can take any high ground in this so this is where we are. In a Pig Pen.

Reaction Score
Legal posturing, I don't think I've read or heard anything that makes me think differently about the process, with the possible exception of Glen Miller's statements. I'm not an attorney, but I've observed the process on numerous occasions as I watch other people twist and turn in the wind.

In Miller's case, I'm sure some of the violations occurred like phone calls to Ray Allen. I'm also sure every program in the country does that type of stuff, they just don't have a coach rat them out. I don't even think that stuff should be a violation.

Unauthorized practices? boohoo, bad judgement because of the toxic compliance environment but not a deal-breaker

the $ 30,000 payout would be yuuuuuge, a serious problem, but there has to be some sort of collaborating evidence
You have no problem with flying kids down to Atlanta to work with an outside trainer? Again, as his contract states it doesn't matter the significance of the violations but that doesn't sound all that insignificant to me. Rules were broken and he lied about it, Ollie and his lawyers have never even disputed this.

C

Chief00

This is sad.

Thanks.
Again, Chief likes Kevin and knows how he thinks. I hope he can rebuilt his life starting with a clean slate. To do that he’s got to get a bare minimum of $2 million net to pay off his EX and some pocket money to drive hot cars, wear nice suits, go to Capital Grille and keep the ladies happy. Then that weight is lifted and he can focus on basketball and get an NBA job. They don’t care about all this stuff and he doesn’t have to manage a program. He could enjoy life again and have a drink or go clubbing without posts about it. He would be great working with guards who already have talent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
This is sad.

Maybe, but at this point this is what he has to do. UCONN should have terminated him for "poor performance" and found a way to negotiate a settlement, resignation etc. The perception that the state of CT is broke and did not have the money to pay or negotiate a settlement with Ollie while at the same time paying our new coach Hurley has nothing to do with Ollie fighting for all or any part of what he feels he is owed on his contract. Our great University needs to finish cleaning up their mess.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maybe, but at this point this is what he has to do. UCONN should have terminated him for "poor performance" and found a way to negotiate a settlement, resignation etc. The perception that the state of CT is broke and did not have the money to pay or negotiate a settlement with Ollie while at the same time paying our new coach Hurley has nothing to do with Ollie fighting for all or any part of what he feels he is owed on his contract. Our great University needs to finish cleaning up their mess.

And Kevin needs to admit to himself that he did a terrible job and deserved to be fired, and that he broke rules so deserved to be fired for cause. Anything he gets of that buyout is gravy, and he should be happy for it. I don't know and none of us know what UConn offered him. If it is zero, then I can understand his position. If it is anything more than even $500k, I can't. Take the money, call it a win and move on.

C

Chief00

And Kevin needs to admit to himself that he did a terrible job and deserved to be fired, and that he broke rules so deserved to be fired for cause. Anything he gets of that buyout is gravy, and he should be happy for it. I don't know and none of us know what UConn offered him. If it is zero, then I can understand his position. If it is anything more than even $500k, I can't. Take the money, call it a win and move on.

I think $2.5 to $3 million would do it. Let’s get it done. But, if I am UConn - at this point why pay it? Other than to shut the door on this mess.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Thanks.
Again, Chief likes Kevin and knows how he thinks. I hope he can rebuilt his life starting with a clean slate. To do that he’s got to get a bare minimum of $2 million net to pay off his EX and some pocket money to drive hot cars, wear nice suits, go to Capital Grille and keep the ladies happy. Then that weight is lifted and he can focus on basketball and get an NBA job. They don’t care about all this stuff and he doesn’t have to manage a program. He could enjoy life again and have a drink or go clubbing without posts about it. He would be great working with guards who already have talent.
I'm beginning to think Chief is KO.

Reaction Score
Thanks.
KO has 99 problems but Chief ain't one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
None of this happens if UCONN simply fired Ollie for the correct reasons around his performance in the head coaching role.
Lol, concession that Ollie deserved to be fired, is duly noted.

So you are saying multiple NCAA violations, including impermissible player benefits, coupled with lying to Benedict in writing about it, isn't a "correct reason" to fire someone?

SMH. Respectfully disagree.

Our great University needs to finish cleaning up their mess.
They're working on it but his lawyers keep dragging it out.

Reaction Score
If it is zero, then I can understand his position. If it is anything more than even $500k, I can't. Take the money, call it a win and move on.

Thats absurd.

CL82

Reaction Score
Thats absurd.
Maybe not as absurd as it appears at first glance. With the facts we now know, no reasonable person can suggest that Ollie's actions did not give rise to a termination under the "just cause" provisions of the contract. If this thing goes to arbitration, Ollie loses and gets nothing. If it goes to court, Ollie still loses and the process will damage what remains of his reputation, since it is a de novo proceeding and UConn can bring up other Ollie actions in addition to the ones it listed in the termination letter.

So what does Ollie have to sell? Pretty much just going away quietly. Every day his representation goes to the press to hurl feces at UConn reduces the value of that. KO would be wise to get out for whatever they can get at this point.

C

Chief00

Maybe not as absurd as it appears at first glance. With the facts we now know, no reasonable person can suggest that Ollie's actions did not give rise to a termination under the "just cause" provisions of the contract. If this thing goes to arbitration, Ollie loses and gets nothing. If it goes to court, Ollie still loses and the process will damage what remains of his reputation, since it is a de novo proceeding and UConn can bring up other Ollie actions in addition to the ones it listed in the termination letter.

So what does Ollie have to sell? Pretty much just going away quietly. Every day his representation goes to the press to hurl feces at UConn reduces the value of that. KO would be wise to get out for whatever they can get at this point.

What makes you think KO took the legal path he did?

-Denial and not being truthful (intentionally or unintentionally) with counsel?
- Ego?
- Locked in on what he needs/wants vs what’s reasonable given objective facts
- Are the arbitrators in CT so union friendly the facts won’t matter?
- Attorney enjoying the limelight ?
- Something else?
-

CL82

Reaction Score

- Ego?
- Something else?
-
Who knows Chief? I suspect it is some confluence of a few factors including denial or lack of engagement by Ollie; union negotiators running their usual playbook rather than looking at KO's situation as unique, and the attorney trying manage the case parallel to the union grievance. I also wonder if Ollie was fully candid with his attorneys. They are experienced employment litigators, but they have made some questionable decisions. That could be KO forcing their hand or it could be the narrative that he share with them differed from reality. I also get the sense that they thought UConn would fold. I don't know though, because the case does not seem to be managed particularly well in my opinion from the cheap seats.

Reaction Score

- Ego?
- Something else?
-
You missed the motivation a lot of people sue for, Chief.

Greed.

Reaction Score
I think the real crime here is that a program of UConn's caliber has been reduced so much financially to be in this predicament in the first place due to conference realignment. If we have to cut corners like this to save for head coaching transitions, imagine how light it must be behind the scenes of stuff actually related to basketball. CR has us fighting for scraps like rabid dogs.

No State agency should allow unearned/undeserved tax payer money to be spent regardless of whether or not we're in a tight fiscal situation. We should function with tax payer money as if we are always in a tight fiscal position.

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
This is just getting annoying...man i feel for the man and wanting his money but come on.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

-

Don't go all Paranteau on us. Your question should have been written as a variation of, even if it got answered as though written correctly:

"What do you think made KO take the legal path he is on?"

Show the English language a little love, and hope for a confidential agreement that hides these unforced errors.

Reaction Score

Isn't he currently suspended with pay? At the very least he's walking away without however much money he earns while this process plays out. He's getting something, so to say he should be happy with anything they offer doesn't make any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom