Ollie threatening to sue UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Ollie threatening to sue UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
$10M is $10M. This is the fight he is supposed to be having at this juncture. It was the Administration's job to clean this up and the failed miserably.
Lol, why because Ollie breached his contract by violating NCAA rules, lied about it, repeatedly, in writing and then wanted to paid for work he isn't going to do.

Um, maybe we can lay just a touch of the blame at KO's feet.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have said on many occasions that this will get very messy and could be very detrimental to the program moving forward. Ollie is from the streets and he will fight, difference is he going about it the legal way. Some on here only see the outcome that they want to see but it’s not the case. We all know they fired him because he did a less than mediocre job the past two seasons. Fire him because of that and cut your losses and move on. At this juncture it will be in the best interest of the University to fire Herbst and Benedict for the mess they’ve created and pay Ollie and move on.
Lol, yeah that's what's going to happen.

FWIW, I am sorry that Ollie has completely sullied his own reputation. Hopefully he's learned a few lessons like:

1) Don't suck at what you do.
2) If you do suck then at least appear to putting effort in. It will buy you time.
3) If you aren't going to do 1 and 2 then it is probably best not to breach your contact.
4) If you do breach your contract, it's probably best not to lie to your bosses about it.
5) If you do breach your contract and lie to your boss, don't do it in writing.
6) If you do suck at your job, don't put effort into it, breach your contract, lie to your bosses and do it in writing, you probably shouldn't request the evidence of your NCAA violations in a FOIA request.
7) If you do suck at your job, don't put effort into it, breach your contract, lie to bosses, do it in writing, and request the evidence of your NCAA violations in a FOIA request, it's probably best not to tip the press off because they may FOIA the same information.

You're welcome Kevin.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I am the school I would totally see this through in court. He has played his hand, all the salacious stuff is already out there and his hand has shown to be weak. The school clearly has just cause on their side.

Plus, most legal proceedings are wars of attrition and the school has lots of time and plenty of lawyers. KO is going to fold, these are just last gasps of desperation. My offer to him would be zero and see you in court......

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

If I am the school I would totally see this through in court. He has played his hand, all the salacious stuff is already out there and his hand has shown to be weak. The school clearly has just cause on their side.

Plus, most legal proceedings are wars of attrition and the school has lots of time and plenty of lawyers. KO is going to fold, these are just last gasps of desperation. My offer to him would be zero and see you in court.
And the curtain comes up on a new day, after @CL82 burns the midnight oil responding to @Javjudah and @DMIL who might as well have ended up the night in bed together.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The first move was made by UCONN so I guess you can say they started the fire on the bridge.

The first move was made by KO, the school has only been reacting since then.

C

Chief00

There is a narrative that the Administration found a loop hole in spirit using "Cause" as a reason for termination when most reasonable minded, objective people see this reason as thin on it's face and disingenuous which I agree with. Regarding knowledge about an offer and the direct negotiations I have no direct knowledge but certainly feel that Ollie has the right to fight for the remainder of his contract whether we believe is owed that money or not.

Ultimately I blame the Administration for hiring Ollie in the first place which I felt was 3 to 4 years early. They went with JC's recommendation and Ollie ultimately put in the work with a lot of help to earn the spot. Ultimately this was their decision, great, bad or ugly including the length and value of the contract extension. We got an NC out of this so it is a wash as far as I'm concerned.

I blame the Administration for the reason that there is an AAC in the first place and the fact that we were not invited to a Power 5 conference. I blame them for not cleaning up the mess they actually created and I say that understanding that Ollie mad his own bed here with a number of strategic blunders as well as putting his eggs in the wrong baskets ultimately getting caught with his pants down exposing what we witnessed the last 2 years. From a business standpoint the University is doing what it feels it has to do.

I do agree not getting in the P5 is all on Herbst and that crazy politician led lawsuit.

Reaction Score
Good for Ollie, the level of disrespect that he is getting now is outrageous. Spending time n money to fight for your reputation is something that any honorable person will do. Susan, fire DB and pay KO the $10 million. The uncertainty about NCAA violation n suspensions will make any potential recruit cringe
Yeah, we saw what the uncertainty about the NCAA did when we hired our new coach. We also saw the impact when none of our current players decided to transfer out. Why? Because KOs dismissal was a sigh of relief: to recruits, to our players, to the fanbase. In an odd way, I respect your loyalty to KO, but his downfall the last few years was stunning, uncontrollable, and down right sad. He had to go and his fight, the way he is conducting his fight, reflects more of who he is now vs who he was at the introductory press conference. I have never seen a person who once was so inspirational and adored create so many irreparable relationships, both personally and professionally, in such a short time.

Reaction Score
Yeah, we saw what the uncertainty about the NCAA did when we hired our new coach. We also saw the impact when none of our current players decided to transfer out. Why? Because KOs dismissal was a sigh of relief: to recruits, to our players, to the fanbase. In an odd way, I respect your loyalty to KO, but his downfall the last few years was stunning, uncontrollable, and down right sad. He had to go and his fight, the way he is conducting his fight, reflects more of who he is now vs who he was at the introductory press conference. I have never seen a person who once was so inspirational and adored create so many irreparable relationships, both personally and professionally, in such a short time.
KO is getting very bad advice by some greedy lawyers who are willing to roll the dice and who don't care at all if KO gets nothing. If KO was advised to call Benedict tomorrow and say "I'll take a $2.5 million settlement" this could all be over by Saturday.

C

Chief00

The best chances for settlement with private parties are

1. Before papers are served and sane folks realize they will be spending big dollars and a lot of time in litigation;
2. Before depositions of the main parties commence, because most people fear depositions and the invasive questioning
3. Right before trial when the pressure really mounts;

KO missed the boat on number 1, which was his best opportunity for a decent outcome without going all the way through the process. If you're UConn, which is a public entity, its better to litigate for 5 years than pay huge money out.... delay, delay, delay, appeal, appeal. It’s cheaper and it pushes the money problem down the road. Time is money saved, and they have nothing to lose. KO lost all leverage the minute this went public. If UConn put a reasonable settlement on the table before this came into public view and KO refused, he’s an even bigger clown than I already believe him to be.

Excellent analysis.

Reaction Score
The best chances for settlement with private parties are

1. Before papers are served and sane folks realize they will be spending big dollars and a lot of time in litigation;
2. Before depositions of the main parties commence, because most people fear depositions and the invasive questioning
3. Right before trial when the pressure really mounts;

KO missed the boat on number 1, which was his best opportunity for a decent outcome without going all the way through the process. If you're UConn, which is a public entity, its better to litigate for 5 years than pay huge money out.... delay, delay, delay, appeal, appeal. It’s cheaper and it pushes the money problem down the road. Time is money saved, and they have nothing to lose. KO lost all leverage the minute this went public. If UConn put a reasonable settlement on the table before this came into public view and KO refused, he’s an even bigger clown than I already believe him to be.

....and if UConn made no settlement offer before firing him for cause.................

Reaction Score
....and if UConn made no settlement offer before firing him for cause.......
Yes, we don't know which it was. But, if you were a betting man, which do you think it was? I'm betting on Ollie being proud and greedy over UConn lawyers being stupid.

Reaction Score
If he wins million(s) from this lawsuit to him its worth it. I would do it as well, especially if I was unemployed and facing an uncertain future in my profession. All this may backfire, but its a risk worth taking to him. I can't imagine many people (even we UConn fans) being fired and leaving millions behind to quietly walk away without trying to get some of that money. I hope UConn was expecting this and already prepared for 'battle'.

Not a good situation but hell you can't fire someone from a contracted high paying job and not expect a fight.

Reaction Score
Yes, we don't know which it was. But, if you were a betting man, which do you think it was? I'm betting on Ollie being proud and greedy over UConn lawyers being stupid.
at least we agree that UConn was stupid if they did not make a settlement offer

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Legal posturing, I don't think I've read or heard anything that makes me think differently about the process, with the possible exception of Glen Miller's statements. I'm not an attorney, but I've observed the process on numerous occasions as I watch other people twist and turn in the wind.

In Miller's case, I'm sure some of the violations occurred like phone calls to Ray Allen. I'm also sure every program in the country does that type of stuff, they just don't have a coach rat them out. I don't even think that stuff should be a violation.

Unauthorized practices? boohoo, bad judgement because of the toxic compliance environment but not a deal-breaker

the $ 30,000 payout would be yuuuuuge, a serious problem, but there has to be some sort of collaborating evidence

Reaction Score
There's also the possibility that they were bound by the union contract and couldn't offer a settlement before initiating the firing process. I've been wondering if that's the case for a little while now

Reaction Score
Legal posturing, I don't think I've read or heard anything that makes me think differently about the process, with the possible exception of Glen Miller's statements. I'm not an attorney, but I've observed the process on numerous occasions as I watch other people twist and turn in the wind.

In Miller's case, I'm sure some of the violations occurred like phone calls to Ray Allen. I'm also sure every program in the country does that type of stuff, they just don't have a coach rat them out. I don't even think that stuff should be a violation.

Unauthorized practices? boohoo, bad judgement because of the toxic compliance environment but not a deal-breaker

the $ 30,000 payout would be yuuuuuge, a serious problem, but there has to be some sort of collaborating evidence
"Unauthorized practices" is an understatement. It's an issue of impermissible benefits which is a big deal to the NCAA

Reaction Score

This is an athletic department in a terrible financial situation. Bob Diaco was way worse than Ollie, had a much smaller buyout, and even he was going to stick around another year until donors stepped up, and once that was paid UConn was only able to go after a coach who would take below market value.

So I don't know what happened here, but if I had to guess, If UConn feels good about their position and expects to win the case, I'd bet against them having offered 3 million to put an end to it.

willie99

Reaction Score
"Unauthorized practices" is an understatement. It's an issue of impermissible benefits which is a big deal to the NCAA

Yes, so serious that the worst consequences suffered by WVU and MI was probation, and Rich Ridriguez had no problem landing another job

I'm not condoning the behavior, I'm just keeping it in perspective

willie99

Reaction Score
This is an athletic department in a terrible financial situation. Bob Diaco was way worse than Ollie, had a much smaller buyout, and even he was going to stick around another year until donors stepped up, and once that was paid UConn was only able to go after a coach who would take below market value.

So I don't know what happened here, but if I had to guess, If UConn feels good about their position and expects to win the case, I'd bet against them having offered 3 million to put an end to it.

From day one I said the whole process is going to be about a negotiated settlement, everything else is smoke and mirrors (unless Ollie actually paid somebody $ 30,000)

Reaction Score
If you are smart, you would agree with all of it.

If Ollie was offered a deal and turned it down to go down this path, he is dead to me. He shouldn't be allowed back on campus, ever. But he doesn't care about that, right? It is all about the money, from what people are saying here.

Reaction Score
Yes, so serious that the worst consequences suffered by WVU and MI was probation, and Rich Ridriguez had no problem landing another job

I'm not condoning the behavior, I'm just keeping it in perspective
You don't think getting your program put on probation is a legitimately fireable offense? Lol. Some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom