OLLIE OLLIE Oxen Free | The Boneyard

OLLIE OLLIE Oxen Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
So...when I took my walk at lunch time, I was surprised to see not one but TWO Ollies on the floor at Gample today. One was the coach (of course) & the other was one of our terrific alums; Ollie Macklin! Donny Marshall was also there to work with the team. We are soooooooooooooooooo lucky to have the coaching staff we have, the kids we have, & the alums who are leading by example. Warde Manuel was there overseeing the proceedings.

Reaction Score
Next time you see Manuel would you punch him in his fat face for me.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
No rest, Fishy.
Rock Star or safe AA hire ? He's done shat so deserves shat
Fire P, Ollie for 3....4 even

Curiouser
Reaction Score
To be clear, I wish the man no ill, and I do not believe that he is a bad person.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The anti-Warde stuff has reached a douchey level. It's duck*ing annoying.

Give it a rest already.
Dove agrees, too

Reaction Score
Sorry I don't really want anyone punching him in his fat face but the guy is certainly fair game. He has been a disaster so far as an AD.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
there is a lot of gery on here about this....please stop

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't like the personal insults, but I think it is certainly fair and to be expected that people will express their opinions about the job he is doing, or not doing. The last guy was run out of town and most here knew and expressed for years that he had been doing a horrible job--one for which we're paying more dearly than any of us ever expected I think, and we ain't finished paying yet. The new guy was heralded as a rock star, and I was excited. But when I first saw him in action I did not get a good Spidey-sense about his fit for this job. Since then he has had three major issues to deal with: (1) Men's BB head coach; (2) Football coach(es); and (3) Conference realignment. Right or wrong, he has clearly defied both conventional wisdom and fan support on #1 and #2; and on #3, the national story line--again, rightly or wrongly--is that he got beaten at his job by a guy who wanted it more and was better at his job. These are not good times for Warde Manuel. Lord help him if re-signing Geno doesn't go smoothly.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
You know...when I started this thread, I was feeling pretty good about our coach, our players & our alums who continue to show their support of the program. Instead, it turned into something pretty UGLY. JC was at practice today. Anybody wanna hate on THAT?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It goes with the AD's job when things are going well, he gets a lot of undue credit. When your school is bypassed by a candidate inferior on the prevailing metrics, he is going to take a lot of heat for it. When he give the appearance of having dropped the ball "monitoring the situation" from the Virgin Islands, he put a target on his back when it fell through. When he comes out and says he decision not to give the new HC a decent contract will hurt recruiting but he's okay with that, he's fair game.

I see no problem with people wanting to hold him accountable for failures that are part of his responsibilites. If you are WM supporter what is your basis for supporting him?

From my perspective, I have some concerns, but the jury is still out.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
No, CL, I am not a WM fan. I sent him an email after the Jimmy V classic extolling the team & the coaching staff for the way they conducted themselves on the "big stage". I also urged him to give KO a contract as not having one is hurting recruiting. I read somewhere that he won't do that until after grades are posted this semester. That is beside the point. He thanked me for my email & my thoughts, but when I introduced myself yesterday, there was no connection made. Maybe I wouldn't read emails from people telling me how do do my job either, but until KO gets a contract, I won't BE a fan of our AD...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You know...when I started this thread, I was feeling pretty good about our coach, our players & our alums who continue to show their support of the program. Instead, it turned into something pretty UGLY. JC was at practice today. Anybody wanna hate on THAT?
Too bad your op got hijacked. It was a real cool post.

Reaction Score
Sorry the guy took over an athletic department at a real awkward time as far as I can see from a guy who did not finish up real well in Hathaway. The mens hoops program is in a tough place for this year and he was left with a real crappy coaching staff in football (should have fired PP I agree) but I do not think blaming him for anything at this point is a fair shake. Much like we say give KO time he needs the same due!!!

Reaction Score
Too bad your op got hijacked. It was a real cool post.

Its the percentages at work at this place.

Makes one wonder why and how Husky fans can hate another Husky, irrespective of title.

Your right though, very cool post!

Reaction Score
Sorry the guy took over an athletic department at a real awkward time as far as I can see from a guy who did not finish up real well in Hathaway. The mens hoops program is in a tough place for this year and he was left with a real crappy coaching staff in football (should have fired PP I agree) but I do not think blaming him for anything at this point is a fair shake. Much like we say give KO time he needs the same due!!!

Ah, a welcome voice of reason.

Reaction Score
The thing I find interesting is how some of the same people that have zero tolerance for frequent and/or negative criticism of the players or coaches after every loss feel like it is OK to constantly make destructive personal attacks on our AD. The thing that makes it worse is that we really have very little information on what is going on inside the program/university. We have no idea what constraints/orders Manuel is/was under. The same people who hate the negative nellies have no problem making big assumptions in justifying their attacks on the AD. And then you have the realities that, one, the constant whining won't change a damn thing and, two, it is get really old listening to the same crap over and over again. Put those two together and it makes for a douchy environment. Really, we don't need to hear how the next death storm is due to Manuel eating donuts instead of giving Ollie and extension and providing sexual favors for the presidents of the universities in the ACC.

And the other thing that needs to be said is that anyone who either doesn't think we should crucify Manuel yet or who thinks the contract and timing of the extension are reasonable or logical is not necessarily anti-Ollie. The straw man building is childish and idiotic. Many of us don't think Manuel deserves to be trashed yet and/or may even agree with his decisions but hope that Ollie is the great coach that Calhoun thinks he is. Once that is established, we will also put pressure on Manuel to get the extension done. And it if doesn't, we will CONSTRUCTIVELY, work to either get his arse in gear or get him removed. I had no problem pushing for Hathaway's removal so I will have no problem doing the same with Manuel when and if it becomes evident it needs to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom