Ollie Officially Fired | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Ollie Officially Fired

Reaction Score
I haven't gotten past P2 of the thread but my bullet point reactions:

It's sad to lose a guy that was part of so much about the program you lived and died with and spent time at the top of the mountain.

It's dangerous to underestimate DB and many here had written off even the suggestion of a bold move this year. But it's also understandable given the desperation of the situation that something needed to be done now.

The recent meeting is a mystery and whether or not any talk of a negotiated buyout was discussed and squashed.

The other issue related to timing may have been a responsibility to act on a disciplinary issue in a timely manner, but might also include available candidates showing an interest in the job.

I don't think candidates will avoid this job opportunity unless they see themselves breaking the same rules that are at issue. It's still a high profile gig with big upside for the right Coach.

Really mixed emotions but going with DB's judgement until proven wrong.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let's cool it with the personal back and forths and keep it to the discussion of the event? Half of these posts are a waste of our time.
Ignore is your friend. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
Shouldn't

Yes it should.

Happens anywhere. If you are an exemplary employee for 20+ years and then mess up, company is likely to back you and give you the benefit of the doubt.

Mess up as a newer employee with a lot shorter track record, they don't owe you anything, they don't have to stand by you.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
My list:

1) Hurley

2) Mark Schmidt
Schmid's a mediocre at best coach whose recent run of success is solely due to lucking into Jaylen Adams. As soon as Adams graduates, that's a 14-15 win team again.

BTW, know who signed Adams' younger brother, who's supposed to be better? Danny Hurley.

Reaction Score
Good lord, a lot of people are really distinguishing themselves here, today.

Keep this in mind: YOU.DO.NOT.KNOW.ANYTHING

Stop speculating and assuming. Maybe this, maybe that, I think... Just stop already. What you know is what has been printed in black and white. Not one more shred of information than that.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Schmid's a mediocre at best coach whose recent run of success is solely due to lucking into Jaylen Adams. As soon as Adams graduates, that's a 14-15 win team again.

BTW, know who signed Adams' younger brother, who's supposed to be better? Danny Hurley.

I like him because he has a rep as a great x&o guy. I'm not sure he can even recruit at this level but I still admire him as a coach and teacher.

CL82

Reaction Score
Players cleared to play and not even a notice of allegations from the NCAA yet. If what has already been stated is their cause I believe it is shaky. No need for personal attacks just because I don't agree with you
Asking you to clarify your statements isn't a personal attack Kathy. It's a conversation.

Do you know the alleged violations, or not? If not, how can you say they aren't serious?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I like him because he has a rep as a great x&o guy. I'm not sure he can even recruit at this level but I still admire him as a coach and teacher.
For sure, but if we're going for a guy with that rep, I'd rather aim for Becker.

Reaction Score
Fool? That's rich. Might want to check out Hurley's NCAA win total before you knock Ed Cooley's.

You nitwit.

Hurley is 1 and 1 in the tournament, and Cooley is 1 and 4, in case no one else bothered to check. So maybe there's no need for name calling.

Neither has a tournament record that jumps out at you and, while it took him five years to get there last year to get his first win and loss, Hurley will surely have a chance to enhance that record this year in his second appearance if they win the A-10 and get a good seed.

Cooley was on the bubble this year according to some "experts" until they beat Xavier, and he appears to have peaked at Providence. The last five years he's won between 20 and 24 games while losing between 11 and 13. Not sure he's the answer when he's stay firmly entrenched in the middle of the Big East since UConn left.

CL82

Reaction Score
Never said that I said you don't stand behind either. Winning doesn't mean you excuse what you wouldn't excuse if you were losing.
Depends on the nature of the violation, right? A coach who is successful and is otherwise doing everything right gets the benefit of the doubt for a minor transcreation. A coach who has lost the team, sets the record for 20+ point losses, misses the NCAA tournament two years in a row and finishes with losing record does not. That's not surprising to you, is it?

Agree that a major violation gets both winning and losing coaches fired.

Reaction Score
Asking you to clarify your statements isn't a personal attack Kathy. It's a conversation.

Do you know the alleged violations, or not? If not, how can you say they aren't serious?
Can't but neither can you ot anyone. My point is that what has been put out there isn't.

Sorry the personal attack comment was meant for Huskybass

CL82

Reaction Score
So no alleged NCAA violations before the Blaze meeting....hmmm.

@Chief00

Reaction Score
how does it look bad? literally every coach that gets fired and doesn't receive their buyout is fired for cause. it's not just Al Davis lmao
Ok fine, it happens all the time. Not just Al Davis.

I still don't understand what the cause is. Other than bad basketball. If there's a real violation it will be ok. But if we exaggerate the severity of the investigation to avoid KO's buyout it wont be good. That's how it looks bad.

Does it seem odd that the investigation was announced almost 2 months ago and we still dont understand what the investigation is about?

Reaction Score
Ok fine, it happens all the time. Not just Al Davis.

I still don't understand what the cause is. Other than bad basketball. If there's a real violation it will be ok. But if we exaggerate the severity of the investigation to avoid KO's buyout it wont be good. That's how it looks bad.

Does it seem odd that the investigation was announced almost 2 months ago and we still dont understand what the investigation is about?
no because the school isn't allowed to comment on it

Reaction Score
Kevin Stallings was fired with cause from Pitt a few days ago. This is par for the course

I guess i was wrong. It happens all the time. I still want to know what the cause is.

Reaction Score

yeah but we have a jalen adams too.
he comes here, he can replicate his success with what he's done with Jaylen Adams

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Agree with the move. I just question the timing.

Why release this on championship Saturday? There is so much media positioned to talk about college basketball today and tomorrow and it will be so easy for every single talking head/commentator to fill their air time with complaints about uconns handling of this.

We should have waited until Sunday night or Monday morning to release this. Then everyone would have been focused on the tournament and brackets and Ollie/UConn would have been an afterthought and secondary news.

Again, I agree with the move. I just think they chose the absolute worst possible time to release it to minimize public perception damage.

Or, perhaps, the best time, by getting the news out, getting wide mention that highlights the program, but then moving things toward move important stories without focusing on UConn's woes.

Like so much, we just don't know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom