Ollie Officially Fired | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Ollie Officially Fired

Reaction Score
We’ll see about just cause... Let’s see what kind of coach wants to succeed a national championship winner that was screwed.

Per someone’s earlier point on exacting terms; $10m is a number and just cause is a qualitative idea - different.

Screwed?

You know NOTHING about what cause may exist and his performance the last 2 seasons was terrible. Perhaps you should get some facts and then come back.

Reaction Score
It would be great for Benedict to let Calhoun get the gang back together for a few years and stabilize things before handing it off again. Let Glenn Miller coach St. Joseph's. He has plenty of other competent former assistants out there to build his staff with. Instantaneously the team will be better strictly from the coaching they would get, it's doubtful anyone of consequence would leave or back out of their commitments, and maybe most importantly they will sell tickets again probably immediately after it was announced. He went that way for football and I see no reason why not to do it with basketball - none, if Calhoun is willing, which because he is planning on coaching again anyway why wouldn't he be? Calhoun, Calhoun, Calhoun, Calhoun, Calhoun, Calhoun!!!!!!!!!!

Amore now listing him as a candidate

Kevin Ollie Fired; UConn Claims 'Just Cause' In Dismissal Of Coach

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree with the move. I just question the timing.

Why release this on championship Saturday? There is so much media positioned to talk about college basketball today and tomorrow and it will be so easy for every single talking head/commentator to fill their air time with complaints about uconns handling of this.

We should have waited until Sunday night or Monday morning to release this. Then everyone would have been focused on the tournament and brackets and Ollie/UConn would have been an afterthought and secondary news.

Again, I agree with the move. I just think they chose the absolute worst possible time to release it to minimize public perception damage.
Pitt already got rid of Stallings. Waiting would limit options.

Reaction Score
Here comes the media assault

Seth Davis on Twitter

Mr. Davis, who annoys the crap out of you most of the time, probably is not wrong here. This, to me, appears to be the byproduct of the two sides not being able to negotiate a settlement short of the 10 million. Now, the University will hope that this move gets Kevin Ollie to the table to resolve the situation so all parties can "move on" from this relationship. We shall see.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm fine with Ollie fighting for his money. It's understandable. A lawsuit would also give us more color on what really went down which i think we all are dying to know.

Yes, but is Kevin dying to have us know?

There is no way Benedict does this unless He couldn’t reach a deal with Ollie. Now it’s a poker game. Kevin hasn’t to sue the university to get his money. The university will put forth causes, whether the NCAA violations (even if minor) or other person conduct related issues. Kevin will have to decide if he wants his dirty laundry aired in public. If not, he’s going to have to try to settle.

I would be surprised if Kevin gets the majority of his remaining contract. He’s young, and preserving his reputation and career prospects should be very important to him still.

Reaction Score
How do you know that Kathy? What is the alleged charge?
Players cleared to play and not even a notice of allegations from the NCAA yet. If what has already been stated is their cause I believe it is shaky. No need for personal attacks just because I don't agree with you

Reaction Score
I think you meant to post this in the ludicrous thread?

Where you saying that before they brought Edsall back? Which I also mentioned beforehand on this board.

Reaction Score
To all those celebrating the firing with cause:

If it sticks there are some serious sanctions coming our way.

If Ollie wins a legal battle, Benedict and possibly Herbst will be gone.

Either way is messy. Pick your poison.

Losing Ollie and Herbst in a package deal would be divine intervention. I'd pay $20 mil for that.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yeah it is. If you did something wrong it shouldn't matter if winning or losing. Just how everyone here was upset about UNC. Who you are, how the team is doing shouldn't matter. It is wrong to have 2 sets of standards. If Benedict would have used this to fire him when he was winning as well as losing I'd have no problem. To have a sense of right or wrong change to suit your purpose is immoral and unethical. Just my values.
So the fact that a team might stand behind a successful coach means they have to stand behind a failing one? C'mon Kathy you can't actually believe that.

CL82

Reaction Score
To treat one of your own like that... sucks. I hope he can eventually forgive the University of Connecticut

I guess money talks at the end of the day...
Trolls gonna troll.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agree with the move. I just question the timing.

Why release this on championship Saturday? There is so much media positioned to talk about college basketball today and tomorrow and it will be so easy for every single talking head/commentator to fill their air time with complaints about uconns handling of this.

We should have waited until Sunday night or Monday morning to release this. Then everyone would have been focused on the tournament and brackets and Ollie/UConn would have been an afterthought and secondary news.

Again, I agree with the move. I just think they chose the absolute worst possible time to release it to minimize public perception damage.

It’s counterintuitive perhaps, but I think we want the press. What message does this send to players, and the college hoops community. UConn is a championship program that doesn’t accept failure. We are moving ahead full speed to return to our former glory. In short, it’s positive news and we want to be in the news cycle on a day like today. There is nothing negative here.

Reaction Score
I think you meant to post this in the ludicrous thread?

Come to think of it, I also said when the news of the investigation came out, that it might be the impetus to fire KO to avoid the buyout.

Reaction Score
So the fact that a team might stand behind a successful coach means they have to stand behind a failing one? C'mon Kathy you can't actually believe that.
Never said that I said you don't stand behind either. Winning doesn't mean you excuse what you wouldn't excuse if you were losing.

Reaction Score
I heard from a reporter this morning which was hinting that this was happening and I didn't get it...the AD and prez wants a big name and looking to go go after a couple with $... few can confirm this because I pm this today
I need a big name; Gotten used to Nattys every 4 or 5 years.

Reaction Score
Never said that I said you don't stand behind either. Winning doesn't mean you excuse what you wouldn't excuse if you were losing.

Sometimes it does

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom