Ollie Officially Fired | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Ollie Officially Fired

Reaction Score
To all those celebrating the firing with cause:

If it sticks there are some serious sanctions coming our way.

If Ollie wins a legal battle, Benedict and possibly Herbst will be gone.

Either way is messy. Pick your poison.
Important to keep in mind that Benedict and Herbst know a LOT more than any of us. I like to give people who have more information than me the benefit of the doubt. Benedict did what he had to getting rid of Diaco - I give him a lot of weight in taking that action alone when a lot of us thought he wouldn't axe a coach with that kind of buyout.

Reaction Score
To all those celebrating the firing with cause:

If it sticks there are some serious sanctions coming our way.

If Ollie wins a legal battle, Benedict and possibly Herbst will be gone.

Either way is messy. Pick your poison.
Maybe. But maybe not. Perhaps there are other (non NCAA) justifications for cause that we are not aware of but that would “satisfactorily” allow for his dismissal. Let me be clear - I don’t know about anything of this nature, so I mention these as examples only - but if there were a harassment issue or a character issue that would be an unacceptable respresentation of the University, etc. The “dare” here by Benedict would be whether Ollie would want these to be public in a lawsuit. There are many more options than the overly simple Door 1 or Door 2. That you or I don’t know them doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I'm so sick of the excuse about the conference. If the conference stinks so bad then win all the friggin' games in the conference. Cincinnati is projected as a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament with recruits that mostly weren't very highly ranked. Houston is a lock for the NCAA Tournament with talent that isn't great. Would Ollie have won a lot with Houston's players?

I admit being in the AAC has drawbacks compared to when they were in the BE but you can win in this conference and be much better than UConn has been the last 4 years. The program just hasn't been run well. I don't know why people keep making excuses for Ollie when the problem is as clear as a bright sunny day.
The recruiting aspect is not the biggest problem in my mind it is the travel. Cincinnati is a lot closer to Tulsa and Wichita than Storrs, but you are right we have never really done well in the AAC, even when we won the tournament

Reaction Score
Unless there's enough fire with that NCAA smoke
So, inadequate recruiting, suggestions of not following through with verbally committed recruits, dubious game preparation, dodgy in-game coaching, etc. don't add up to just cause alone ... ? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
our athletic department used the term cause. it's how anyone gets fired that doesn't get their buyout money.
I assumed ESPN was quoting UCONN. This looks bad to me. I don't care to be in the same company as Al Davis.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

They have to open the firing for just cause, but still expect a negotiated buyout rather than UConn trying to get out of the whole thing.

Which would mean the "just cause" is not as black and white as it appears, DB wants out

DB is obviously a serious man, doing it his way, just as every man should do

Reaction Score
Agree completely. This is a bad look for the school, and could scare some coaches off.

Ollie doesn't really have anything to lose reputation wise by taking this all the way.

You can’t assume the extent of Ollie’s culpability though.

Reaction Score
I assumed ESPN was quoting UCONN. This looks bad to me. I don't care to be in the same company as Al Davis.
how does it look bad? literally every coach that gets fired and doesn't receive their buyout is fired for cause. it's not just Al Davis lmao

Reaction Score
Kevin Stallings was fired with cause from Pitt a few days ago. This is par for the course

Reaction Score
the fact that he was fired lol. how is that speculation?
And, you know beyond a shadow of a doubt it's not a strategic buyout ploy by UConn? As in, beyond any shadow of a doubt you absolutely know Ollie's attorney won't fight for some or all of his buyout? OK! And, perhaps UConn's playing hardball with expectations of a subsequent partial buyout, i.e., not no buyout.

Reaction Score
When Benedict fired Diaco, he obviously knew Edsall was going to be the next HC. Maybe Benedict has done some behind the scenes work and already has an idea that whoever he is going to offer the job to will accept?

This is a very important hire obviously. Everybody involved knows this from the administration down to the alumni and fans. We dont want to become what Indiana has after Bob Knight. Thats why I really believe the school is ready to throw a lot of money on the table for the next head coach.

Reaction Score
It would be great for Benedict to let Calhoun get the gang back together for a few years and stabilize things before handing it off again. Let Glenn Miller coach St. Joseph's. He has plenty of other competent former assistants out there to build his staff with. Instantaneously the team will be better strictly from the coaching they would get, it's doubtful anyone of consequence would leave or back out of their commitments, and maybe most importantly they will sell tickets again probably immediately after it was announced. He went that way for football and I see no reason why not to do it with basketball - none, if Calhoun is willing, which because he is planning on coaching again anyway why wouldn't he be? Calhoun, Calhoun, Calhoun, Calhoun, Calhoun, Calhoun!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
It would be great for Benedict to let Calhoun get the gang back together for a few years and stabilize things before handing it off again. Let Glenn Miller coach St. Joseph's. He has plenty of other competent former assistants out there to build his staff with. Instantaneously the team will be better strictly from the coaching they would get, it's doubtful anyone of consequence would leave or back out of their commitments, and maybe most importantly they will sell tickets again probably immediately after it was announced. He went that way for football and I see no reason why not to do it with basketball - none, if Calhoun is willing, which because he is planning on coaching again anyway why wouldn't he be? Calhoun, Calhoun, Calhoun, Calhoun, Calhoun, Calhoun!!!!!!!!!!
It’d make sense particularly if there’s sanctions on the horizon.

Reaction Score
We’ll see about just cause... Let’s see what kind of coach wants to succeed a national championship winner that was screwed.

Per someone’s earlier point on exacting terms; $10m is a number and just cause is a qualitative idea - different.

Reaction Score

I think you meant to post this in the ludicrous thread?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes Seth, if UConn were still winning Ollie wouldn't be getting fired. Smart man.
Media was all over KO, but now will rally behind him.

:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom