Ollie looking to fill coaching spot | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie looking to fill coaching spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Does that mean we can't hire Coach Calhoun or Coach Izzo?

Yes. They's make it more clear if they could...."between 6'1 and 6'2'", "with brown hair". It's a job description written to apply to a single person and exclude everyone else to the extent possible. I'm just curious as to who it is.

Reaction Score
Thats interesting since so many people thought Freeman was a guarantee for the position. I also dont think there is anything wrong with somebody with no UConn ties.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with looking out of the uconn family.

This may sound heretic, but I'll go one further: it's a very good thing that we're NOT going with the UConn family here. I have absolutely nothing against K-Free, and he could be a great coach someday (and hopefully will be for us at some point if another coach moves on). We just have to start to branch out from former players with little recruiting or coaching experience. Bringing in one bonafide assistant that we don't have to worry about training and that can help with recruiting and can bring connections with AAU coaches right off the bat is HUGE.

caw

Reaction Score
This may sound heretic, but I'll go one further: it's a very good thing that we're NOT going with the UConn family here. I have absolutely nothing against K-Free, and he could be a great coach someday (and hopefully will be for us at some point if another coach moves on). We just have to start to branch out from former players with little recruiting or coaching experience. Bringing in one bonafide assistant that we don't have to worry about training and that can help with recruiting and can bring connections with AAU coaches right off the bat is HUGE.

Are people in the know clear the guy isn't in the UConn family? There are a few UConn guys who could fit the description (even an ex assistant or two).

Reaction Score
Can anybody think of any good D1 coaches who lost their job recently?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Are people in the know clear the guy isn't in the UConn family? There are a few UConn guys who could fit the description (even an ex assistant or two).

I don't know the UConn players' history well enough to speculate on this. Donyell would seem like the best bet if he didn't just accept the CCSU job. Outside of that, not sure who fits all of these requirements.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can anybody think of any good D1 coaches who lost their job recently?

Why do they need to lose their job? We've been stealing away people from the AD department. Let's steal some top assistant coaches from successful programs as well. Multiple NCAA tournament bids is a key point.

Reaction Score
This is all speculation (of course), but:

One man who does fit all those qualifications is Slice Rohrssen. Recently left Mullin's staff, as I believe the board briefly discussed. He played D-I ball at St. Francis (PA), and obviously has coached recently with multiple D-I institutions that have had NCAA tournament berths (UK, St. John's, Pitt) all within the past decade. And I doubt there are assistant coaches out there who have a much better understanding of how the NCAA works.

Reaction Score

One man who does fit all those qualifications is Slice Rohrssen. Recently left Mullin's staff, as I believe the board briefly discussed. He played D-I ball at St. Francis (PA), and obviously has coached recently with multiple D-I institutions that have had NCAA tournament berths (UK, St. John's, Pitt) all within the past decade. And I doubt there are assistant coaches out there who have a much better understanding of how the NCAA works.
Don't think he's worked at the NBA level.

Reaction Score
Don't think he's worked at the NBA level.
Was thinking that as well, but he was an assistant for the Idaho Stampede in the D-League in 12-13. I know, not an exact criteria match, but they are technically an NBA-affiliated organization.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Isn't he regarded as a terrific recruiter? This would be a home run in my mind.

Reaction Score
I hope it isn't Rohrssen(and judging by the NBA criteria it likely isn't), recruiting is fine, player development is far more important and that stooge in a pinstripe suit isn't filling that need.
Yep pd is cool but I think offensive x&os is an even dire need. Coaches in college with an NBA background is relatively small list I can only think of Scott Padgett and Dan majerle , anyone else I'm missing? I don't know of any ex NBA assistants who coaching in d1 other than Utah guy and craig Neal

Jim

Reaction Score
I think that the Boneyarders should collectively apply for the position. We might as well get paid for our expert coaching advice after the games are over.

This kills off that idea:

Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.

Reaction Score
Yep pd is cool but I think offensive x&os is an even dire need. Coaches in college with an NBA background is relatively small list I can only think of Scott Padgett and Dan majerle , anyone else I'm missing? I don't know of any ex NBA assistants who coaching in d1 other than Utah guy and craig Neal

I think PD and X&Os can go hand in hand, offensive execution and playcalling would probably look a hell of alot better with skilled players out there operating.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I like the notion of NBA experience. Throw away the chalk board and play some elaborated street (park) ball. Sounds good to me. Drawn up plays really was not a plus last year. at least during the year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Nope

Reaction Score
Borges piece in NH Register indicates KFree is a candidate for the job.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hmm, here's an interesting little gem in there -
"Also, with Gampel Pavilion’s roof under construction, there is no UConn basketball camp in Storrs this summer, meaning Ollie doesn’t have those obligations, either."

I didn't think that was happening this summer.

Reaction Score
If freeman is a candidate hell most likely be hired . That'll be disappointing given the glaring lack of x& os and player development coming from the staff... I mean I just read KO expects larrier to put on 15 lbs because he's skinny, why the hell is he skinny? He spent the year on bench, he should have a transformed body.

Reaction Score
If freeman is a candidate hell most likely be hired . That'll be disappointing given the glaring lack of x& os and player development coming from the staff... I mean I just read KO expects larrier to put on 15 lbs because he's skinny, why the hell is he skinny? He spent the year on bench, he should have a transformed body.

Gymnastics....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS