Ollie lands a new job | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ollie lands a new job

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
This is the biggest misconception on the 'yard. It just gets repeated over and over again. Where is the evidence of this? Maybe at one point he did. Maybe he enjoyed that Uconn helped him make millions and then directly paid him millions. But where is the evidence when we completely sucked that he was "bleeding blue"?

He ran the program into the ground. Never once seemed upset about it or proclaimed in a post game/ interview that its unacceptable for a program like UConn to get blown out by 20 again to another crappy AAC team. You see coaches do that all the time at far less prestigious programs. Even if its just coach speak, you would think he would be pissed that the program he supposedly cares so much about is in the toilet. And worst of all he was too lazy (or busy having fun) to recruit or work with players on getting better. This is the worst part. Those are not the actions of someone "bleeding blue".
it still amazes me how just saying the name 'ollie' triggers some here, like he nuked willimantic or something. weirdorama. ya get a stiff neck always looking backward, ya know. he didn't kill anyone, he just wore out his welcome. happens all the time in life. i wonder sometimes if the perpetual haters walk around with colo bags, cuz it seems that they might have worn out their system with all that bile. ok, so big deal. the husky pope won't be slapping that 'st. kevin' label on him anytime soon. meh.

Reaction Score
it still amazes me how just saying the name 'ollie' triggers some here, like he nuked willimantic or something. weirdorama. ya get a stiff neck always looking backward, ya know. he didn't kill anyone, he just wore out his welcome. happens all the time in life. i wonder sometimes if the perpetual haters walk around with colo bags, cuz it seems that they might have worn out their system with all that bile. ok, so big deal. the husky pope won't be slapping that 'st. kevin' label on him anytime soon. meh.

I was responding to the thousandth post on here claiming he "bleeds blue". Do you disagree? I don't see how arguing the truth makes me a "hater" or triggered. Not that I expect a post from you to make any sense.

Reaction Score
He almost killed UConn basketball that’s why people (on a UConn message board) get upset when they hear his name.

Reaction Score
John Oliver Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
There are several sad things about KO. His fractured relationship with JC is 1st on my list. The many here who give him no credit for what he did is another-he's gone. He cannot coach at the collegiate level until 7/22 so this is him getting back into the coaching mode. Someone will hire him at the D1 level again. Until then, this is probably a stop gap to make himself relevant until then.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Hope he does well and sways a UConn recruit to play in their league so that those on here suffering from Ollie Derangement Syndrome can have a flare up
hehe, 'ods.' good un. lol.
exploding-head-3.jpg

Reaction Score
There are several sad things about KO. His fractured relationship with JC is 1st on my list. The many here who give him no credit for what he did is another-he's gone. He cannot coach at the collegiate level until 7/22 so this is him getting back into the coaching mode. Someone will hire him at the D1 level again. Until then, this is probably a stop gap to make himself relevant until then.
I've always felt the National Championship was the worst thing to happen to him. It should've been an amazing feather in his cap where recruiting becomes so much better and UConn remained a national power, instead it changed him. He put it on cruise control in recruiting, he let his personal life become unstable, and he pushed away Calhoun. It's sad but hopefully this is a new start for him.

Reaction Score
man I cannot wait to never have to read another one of these posts. part of me does hope that KO goes after every UConn recruit just to piss off the people who have to express some version of this sentiment every time his name comes up.
" Part of you HOPES that KO goes after every UConn recruit just to piss people off". Really?? So you'd like to see him attempt to damage the basketball program just to piss people off. And i guess that's your idea of showing how much you "bleed blue". Sounds like you and KO have a lot in common.

Reaction Score
" Part of you HOPES that KO goes after every UConn recruit just to piss people off". Really?? So you'd like to see him attempt to damage the basketball program just to piss people off. And i guess that's your idea of showing how much you "bleed blue". Sounds like you and KO have a lot in common.

Well, to piss you off specifically.

Reaction Score
I've always felt the National Championship was the worst thing to happen to him. It should've been an amazing feather in his cap where recruiting becomes so much better and UConn remained a national power, instead it changed him. He put it on cruise control in recruiting, he let his personal life become unstable, and he pushed away Calhoun. It's sad but hopefully this is a new start for him.
Don't disagree. But a fractured relationship involves 2 people-we do not know what went on behind the scenes.

Reaction Score

Its pretty hilarious. 2nd post now from someone claiming they hope KO steals a recruit from us just to spite the people who realize he sucked??? These are the same posters mocking people claiming they have "ollie derangement syndrome". Because apparently responding directly to refute a post about a former coach in a thread about said former coach means you are a hater and cant get over the guy??? And somehow they think they are the rational clear thinkers and we are the deranged ones. Got it.

Reaction Score
Its pretty hilarious. 2nd post now from someone claiming they hope KO steals a recruit from us just to spite the people who realize he sucked??? These are the same posters mocking people claiming they have "ollie derangement syndrome". Because apparently responding directly to refute a post about a former coach in a thread about said former coach means you are a hater and cant get over the guy??? And somehow they think they are the rational clear thinkers and we are the deranged ones. Got it.

Paper Bag GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Man, people get nutty when talking about Ollie. The problem with the dialogue around his situation here is that most people aren't nuanced. His supporters bring up the championship while ignoring that he lead the program into a ditch, and his haters ignore the fact that he coached what was far-and-away our least-talented national championship team to the title. It is possible for him to have done a great coaching job early in his career and at the same time have done a horrible job at the end.

Reaction Score
Man, people get nutty when talking about Ollie. The problem with the dialogue around his situation here is that most people aren't nuanced. His supporters bring up the championship while ignoring that he lead the program into a ditch, and his haters ignore the fact that he coached what was far-and-away our least-talented national championship team to the title. It is possible for him to have done a great coaching job early in his career and at the same time have done a horrible job at the end.
I think most people see it that way.

Reaction Score
I am bullish this idea, take down the corrupt AAU circuits and give kids a chance to earn a fair wage earlier in their lives

Reaction Score
Maybe if he did it in 2013 with players from super 2012 team, but the 2012 team with Andre was never nearly as good as the parts, 2013 was mass exodus of players. Winning it all in 2014 was the best "how did they do that" story of the last 25 years; coaching had to have a big impact. Jay Bilas picked UConn to lose each NCAA tournament game so wasn't like it was a walk in the park by "UCLA of Walton and Kareem" type talent.

Compare the talent on the 2020-21 Hurley team vs. the 2013-14 Ollie team and doubt you find Ollie had a team with lot more talent, or even more talent. If Ollie got too much credit for the championship, did Hurley get enough "non credit" for the team performance in the 2021 NCAA tournament?
He still won a National Championship...All this Hurley better than Ollie talk won't ever get settled until Hurley wins it all as a UConn MBB coach... That is fact no matter how much folks focus on the negative narrative...

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
If an Overtime Elite player doesn’t ultimately pursue a pro career, the league will pay them up to $100,000 towards college tuition.

That sounds great in theory. But these kids are dropping out of high school at 15/16 years old to enter this league. If they don't make it and they want to go back to college, these kids will be applying to college based on their academic profiles (no longer an athletic recruit). No real institution is going to accept them as an applicant after dropping out of HS and not having real grades/academics for 2-3 years. So the whole "league will pay them up to $100,000 towards college tuition" is just PR.

Reaction Score
I think losing outshines all the success (that is hard for any D1 College Basketball program to come by) when it comes today's UConn MBB fan...

We've had some really lean years sin 2014... lean... gotta blame somebody....

And no , there's no riding KO's jock... It's clear College basketball has evolved into something a little different... His teams digressed big time after the last title, but it still doesn't outweigh the success.. He won... He's a champion...

Good luck to Hurley.... I'm all in.. but, boy oh boy if he doesn't win soon.... smh.... and there's ZERO excuses now.. He's got us pointed in the right direction (again)... A good check back in spot on this is Spring 2024.. he's got 3 years .. considering all the retirect it sounds like that's a good spot to see if he's finally brought another Nat'l Championship to Storrs....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom