Ollie lands a new job | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ollie lands a new job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
The AAU model (my experience isn't with big time by any stretch) is to lure players in with one head coach, but then that coach doesn't end up coaching most of the programs teams and rotating coaches with various interest level attend practices and games. I do think you mostly get the best coaches at the higher/highest levels, but overall the AAU model is just have as many teams as possible to get those parent $. This seems different of course with paying players, but no clue where those $ will come from. Admissions mostly go to arenas, not sure what would be in it for sponsorships?
I’ll try this again.
Big changes coming to College Basketball over the next decade. It will probably be unrecognizable. Whether good or bad will be debated, but it will certainly be different.
Where will the revenue come from? Players salaries alone will be $4,000,000, Coaches and staff double that, plus administration and travel and you are easily at $15 - $20 million. Don’t see attendance or streaming generating this kind of revenue for a while.

Reaction Score
This is the biggest misconception on the 'yard. It just gets repeated over and over again. Where is the evidence of this? Maybe at one point he did. Maybe he enjoyed that Uconn helped him make millions and then directly paid him millions. But where is the evidence when we completely sucked that he was "bleeding blue"?

He ran the program into the ground. Never once seemed upset about it or proclaimed in a post game/ interview that its unacceptable for a program like UConn to get blown out by 20 again to another crappy AAC team. You see coaches do that all the time at far less prestigious programs. Even if its just coach speak, you would think he would be pissed that the program he supposedly cares so much about is in the toilet. And worst of all he was too lazy (or busy having fun) to recruit or work with players on getting better. This is the worst part. Those are not the actions of someone "bleeding blue".

man I cannot wait to never have to read another one of these posts. part of me does hope that KO goes after every UConn recruit just to piss off the people who have to express some version of this sentiment every time his name comes up.

Reaction Score
Good for him. He made a lot of mistakes at UConn but deserves a second chance. In a role where he doesn’t have to recruit or run a program and is mostly responsible for teaching top level talent what it takes to be a pro, he could do well.

Reaction Score
Good for Ollie. I hope he bounces back strong. Been hoping for this day to come for a while. He is a good man, a good alumnus, and deserves a bright future.

Its been a rough few years for both sides. But the success of every husky is good for everyone

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry, but the reason KO couldn’t keep his job here is because he started pulling in recruits ranked outside of the top 150. I’ll trust that Hurley can out recruit KO 11 of of 10 times.
Geez I hope so we're not in the AAC anymore we're in the Big East. The difference for kids in the east to play in Philly, DC, NYC rather than Texas and Central and south florida is monstrous.

Reaction Score
I have to bite through my lower lip to wish KO good luck, but I will because he did add a National Championship to Uconn's legacy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Overtime Elite, which will feature up to 30 players ages 16 to 18 who will be paid a minimum salary of $100,000 along with bonuses and equity, is slated to begin in September 2021. If an Overtime Elite player doesn’t ultimately pursue a pro career, the league will pay them up to $100,000 towards college tuition. Overtime, which includes Durant, Carmelo Anthony and late NBA Commissioner David Stern among its investors, was founded in 2016.

So $100k salary to play, at a minimum and another $100k for college if the kids doesn't make the league... per player. Did anyone see where this money is going to come from? If kids make the league do have pay back the OE? Does OE get a percentage of the kid's salary? Something seems off about this.

Reaction Score
man I cannot wait to never have to read another one of these posts. part of me does hope that KO goes after every UConn recruit just to piss off the people who have to express some version of this sentiment every time his name comes up.

do you disagree with what I said? The tired discussion is whether he should’ve been fired and another one on whether he deserves the buyout/ how much etc.

Everyone just casually says he “bled blue”. Which just isn’t true. I havent seen many discussions arguing that point. And apparently a lot of people believe it cuz it still gets repeated over and over.

Reaction Score
That sucking sound you hear is the sound of money slowly leaving the NCAA coffers. If this new league takes off the boys in Indy and the P5 are screwed. NFL goes after NCAA football revenues next?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The fact that Ollie thinks this league is going to work is a sign that he was not cheating. $100k is the going rate for a reserve at Kentucky, Baylor or Arizona.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I believe that is still to be determined. Last I knew the arbitrator died and they were trying to determine whether they would need to re-do the arbitration testimony to that point.
I doubt it would ever happen but the best outcome would be if the new arbitrator dramatically narrowed the expansive discovery and rendered a decision on the documentary evidence.

Reaction Score
Overtime Elite, which will feature up to 30 players ages 16 to 18 who will be paid a minimum salary of $100,000 along with bonuses and equity, is slated to begin in September 2021. If an Overtime Elite player doesn’t ultimately pursue a pro career, the league will pay them up to $100,000 towards college tuition. Overtime, which includes Durant, Carmelo Anthony and late NBA Commissioner David Stern among its investors, was founded in 2016.

So $100k salary to play, at a minimum and another $100k for college if the kids doesn't make the league... per player. Did anyone see where this money is going to come from? If kids make the league do have pay back the OE? Does OE get a percentage of the kid's salary? Something seems off about this.
Agree. I think money comes from the investors, aka Carmelo, Kevin Durant and David Stern's respective light cash on fire funding co's. I'd guess they have revenue stream models (sponsors, eventually tv ) but nothing actually lined up or proven & the ultimate goal is for the nba to buy them which is really their only access to media & enough eyeballs, then $.

Reaction Score
You know the guy screwed up, things went wrong after a tremendous start to his coaching career and it's on him. Bit he played during the years JC was stamping the program and made an impact. He coached as an assistant when we won championships and helped players get better although most wold prefer to say no. He won a NC which many don't, with a team of somewhat unknowns who he drove to the success after APR. There were good things then there were bad things no denying that. Some of those who support him are a bit over the top but the ones who found hatred I find puzzling.

Wish him luck everyone deserves a 2nd chance and one of our Huskies certainly is one that we should hope lands on his feet.

Reaction Score
It did. You’re just giving way too much credit to Ollie.
Maybe if he did it in 2013 with players from super 2012 team, but the 2012 team with Andre was never nearly as good as the parts, 2013 was mass exodus of players. Winning it all in 2014 was the best "how did they do that" story of the last 25 years; coaching had to have a big impact. Jay Bilas picked UConn to lose each NCAA tournament game so wasn't like it was a walk in the park by "UCLA of Walton and Kareem" type talent.

Compare the talent on the 2020-21 Hurley team vs. the 2013-14 Ollie team and doubt you find Ollie had a team with lot more talent, or even more talent. If Ollie got too much credit for the championship, did Hurley get enough "non credit" for the team performance in the 2021 NCAA tournament?

Reaction Score
Maybe if he did it in 2013 with players from super 2012 team, but the 2012 team with Andre was never nearly as good as the parts, 2013 was mass exodus of players. Winning it all in 2014 was the best "how did they do that" story of the last 25 years; coaching had to have a big impact. Jay Bilas picked UConn to lose each NCAA tournament game so wasn't like it was a walk in the park by "UCLA of Walton and Kareem" type talent.

Compare the talent on the 2020-21 Hurley team vs. the 2013-14 Ollie team and doubt you find Ollie had a team with lot more talent, or even more talent. If Ollie got too much credit for the championship, did Hurley get enough "non credit" for the team performance in the 2021 NCAA tournament?
2014 had the best backcourt in the country. That team was at least ranked preseason. 2011 was a way bigger surprise going into the season.

Reaction Score
2014 had the best backcourt in the country. That team was at least ranked preseason. 2011 was a way bigger surprise going into the season.
Exactly what I was going to say. The 2014 run will be remember as a crazy run but in reality they were just miss seeded. They were a preseason sleeper pick for the final four. In fact Digger Phelps picked them to go to the final four pre-season.

Also the 2014 team would mop the floor with this year’s team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedRabbit84

Top Bottom