Ollie finally lost them | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ollie finally lost them

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm with you up until "blame". I blame the fact that they're human and not robots, and I don't think they (or Ollie) deserve blame in any other sense for coming up with a clunker given all the various circumstances.

I don't blame Calhoun or Boatright for missing shots. They weren't all bad shots and they were shots they have to take. That, I consider, a clunker. Defensive effort, there is no excuse for that. It was being outhustled up and down the court on fast breaks. It was not sliding in for charges, or going up for blocks. It was not even bothering to rotate.

caw

Reaction Score
Saying he lost the team and it'll be interesting to see if he can get them back is the kind of crap that leads to a post Sunday morning saying HE CAN'T GET THEM BACK because they didn't make the NIT.

Step 1- create straw man
Step 2- ?????
Step 3- profit

PC still exists. It's not about winning and losing. It's about effort.

EDIT: It would actually be, "he didn't get them back" or "he got them back" on Sunday morning.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Neill Ostrout@NeillOstrout
Daniels: "We just broke down mentally, stopped playing defense, stopped talking. We weren't together. That's when we need our capt. Shabazz

Stopped, stopped, stopped.
Exactly, they broke down and missed their leader. You're proving my point. They didn't quit, they were shot handed and got tired and frustrated. That's much different than quitting. More specifically, it's a million miles from your original ascertation that Ollie had lost this team.

caw

Reaction Score
Exactly, they broke down and missed their leader. You're proving my point. They didn't quit, they were shot handed and got tired and frustrated. That's much different than quitting. More specifically, it's a million miles from your original ascertation that Ollie had lost this team.

No, they stopped. I'm sure Ollie was OK with them stopping.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
No, they stopped. I'm sure Ollie was OK with them stopping.
I'm pretty sure Ollie said he was pleased by their effort. Don't let his exact quote get in the way of your rant.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Ollie said he was pleased by their effort. Don't let his exact quote get in the way of your rant.

Right, but he wasn't happy with their defense (same quote). What aspects of their defense? Their rotations? their challenging of shots? their getting back on missed shots? Damn if those aren't effort related.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Right, but he wasn't happy with their defense (same quote). What aspects of their defense? Their rotations? their challenging of shots? their getting back on missed shots? Damn if those aren't effort related.
You're losing focus. You said he lost the team. Not true.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Oh my god shut up.

They played a bad 10 minutes of defense when they were severely undermanned and didn't contest some shots and you come on here and proclaim Ollie has lost the team?

Just get a gripe before you embarrass yourself further.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Caw, you should go buy gold and a car, otherwise, you're letting the terrorists win.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
We were absolutely outmanned tonight, but it was also clear that when Boat hangs his head (gets down on himself) and quits trying, it kicks the team in their collective groin

Reaction Score
If caw and HFD were able to have kids......scary thought.

Reaction Score
Caw, give it up man. Lost the team? Because we had a bad half?

Which UConn team has ever not had a day like this where they basically caved, against a little adversity? I'll give you a hint. There isn't one. If probably our best team ever can lose a couple key guys to injury and score 42 points at home to a pedestrian Syracuse team (we needed a Saunders three-pointer in the closing seconds just to get to 40) when they were still undefeated, why can't this one have a clunker on the road after they lose a couple key guys and have nothing to play for?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Ollie lost them, LMFAO

we just put the least talented team we've had on the court since Jimmy's 1st year, and this lineup may even have a bigger disadvantage because they're all playing new rolls due to recent injuries

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm glad I fell asleep early in the second half and missed what some found so upsetting. Yep, I just gave up. I didn't intend to, but I was tired. I'm sorry. I'll take the blame.

Reaction Score
The team on the floor last night would have lost to Oak Hill. I will admit one thing..............I suppose Ollie lost me, I went to bed with 10 mins to go. Cant remember the last time that has happened. Anywho, what the hell is up with Boatright? He is doing one hell of a job limiting his options to 1............he has to come back after this past month.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm glad I fell asleep early in the second half and missed what some found so upsetting. Yep, I just gave up. I didn't intend to, but I was tired. I'm sorry. I'll take the blame.

I didn't make it through the 2nd TV time out. Watched the C's win, changed the channel and fell asleep

Reaction Score
Ollie has done a wonderful job all year, but the effort in the second half last night was severely lacking. That said, Boat and Calhoun would have had to have played really well to get the W, and they obviously struggled. Did they quit in the second half? Yes. But I wouldn't say Ollie has lost the team.

Reaction Score
You know who this loss is on? It's that damn Naismith guy. If he didn't invent basketball, we couldn't have lost tonight.
I am ignoring the posts in this thread and taking some time out to check these outstanding avatars.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
This is what I was worried about happening all year and it finally happened. The kids have finally given up. Giffey and Napier provide most of the grit for this team. With both out they don't have the talent or passion. No excuse, this is the type of game that should eliminate a team from the NCAAT (not that UConn is eligible).

It will be interesting to see if Ollie can get them back.
I was at the game and don't agree. Daniels and Evans showed up and played their respective games games. We just did not get out of RJ what we would get out of Shabazz. He is simply not Shabazz and this isn't on Ollie. Olander gave us a typical Olander game. He simply is a back up 4/5 playing starters minutes - thats not Ollies fault. He does look to be out of shape which is on the coaches. He also came out with what looked like a high ankle sprain late in the second half. Nolan didn't give us what he did in Cincy and looked tentative - that may be on the coaching staff to better prepare him. Enosch Wolf - again who's fault he's not with the team? Giffey - again not Ollie's fault he fractured his finger. Omar - has been really bothered by the sprained wrist on his shooting hand. He was clearly bothered by the sprain and/or the tape job. He kept flexing it all game long. He made 1 of 9 threes and was even bothered with the floaters he attempted and missed. It affected his grip on the attempted dunk after which he really did give up though. Ryan - well here I have to step back and say this guy needs a lot more coaching. Watched him all game. He didn't run the offense hence few assists (versus Collins who ran up 12 assists mostly on lobs to back door cuts), he couldn't take any of the USF guards off the dribble and the few times he did got stuffed. He's not a very good shooter wh was forcced to take ill advised shots. On defense Collins was taking him o the dribble even though as one USF fan pointed out to me Collins only goes right, never goes left.

We had a good season with a very flawed team.

Reaction Score
Last year boatright looked as athletetic or should I say quick as most. Even against mcw he was great. but the juxtaposition between boat and Daniels is striking. Ollie could have lost boat, he's play of recent would indicate a complete disregard to game film. Daniels however, seems engaged and picking his spots; so ollie definitely has him. Ollie has omar too. conditioning is a problem if I'm Ollie I want our guys to be able to play 10 OTS. pick your damm spots.

Reaction Score
Caw is one of the top 5 posters I enjoy reading on this board. Unlike 90% of people on here, he brings facts and stats to most of his arguments and has good analysis of the game and players.

I agree with the poster that said it was a loaded phrase. For whatever reason the defensive effort wasn't there in the second half. If you've played competitive sports before, a similar situation has happened to you before where the mental focus and effort wasn't there. I don't think it has to do with heart at all. They were as many have pointed out, severely undermanned.

Just like some posters are giving the team the benefit of the doubt cause every other game this year. IMO Caw also should get a pass for the overall quality he brings to this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom