Ollie fighting to keep his job..Link from ESPN | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Ollie fighting to keep his job..Link from ESPN

Reaction Score
Ollie > UConn for these fools

Justice > UConn for me. Maybe where you're from it's acceptable to cheat people of their money to solve budget issues, but I don't want to root for a school like that and I won't root for a school like that.

You see, to folks like you, this is about us choosing the coach over the school. It's not. This is about rejecting the idea that such a choice is even possible in the first place. Kevin Ollie played four years here, represented the school for 12 years in the NBA, won a title here as an assistant coach, and then won a title as a head coach. If he's not UConn, then who is? Is it Susan Herbst? Is it Dave Benenedict? Dan Hurley? Tell me, because to my eye, this looks less and less like the school I grew up rooting for every time we alienate an alum in the name of managing deficits that we created. We bet big on Ollie and lost. The choice is to either cross your fingers for another year and hope that changes or swallow the buyout.

Perhaps there is language in the agreement that allows you to terminate the contract, but there is no such language stating I have to like it. #NotMyUConn

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have a hard time mustering any sympathy for a guy who half-assed a $3.5M job. He had a great job that paid insanely well and he only put like four toes in when he felt like it. All of this is on him.

I guess the lesson is that if you’re going to half-ass a $3.5M job, try not to do anything crazy to put your buyout in jeopardy. Like maybe try to avoid doing stuff that makes the NCAA interview the local prep coaches and visit campus and that sort of thing.

The economics of our current situation mean that anything paid to Kevin Ollie will come in the form of a subsidy from the university, i.e. the students.

I’m rooting for the students in this one.

Reaction Score
Justice > UConn for me. Maybe where you're from it's acceptable to cheat people of their money to solve budget issues, but I don't want to root for a school like that and I won't root for a school like that.

You see, to folks like you, this is about us choosing the coach over the school. It's not. This is about rejecting the idea that such a choice is even possible in the first place. Kevin Ollie played four years here, represented the school for 12 years in the NBA, won a title here as an assistant coach, and then won a title as a head coach. If he's not UConn, then who is? Is it Susan Herbst? Is it Dave Benenedict? Dan Hurley? Tell me, because to my eye, this looks less and less like the school I grew up rooting for every time we alienate an alum in the name of managing deficits that we created. We bet big on Ollie and lost. The choice is to either cross your fingers for another year and hope that changes or swallow the buyout.

Perhaps there is language in the agreement that allows you to terminate the contract, but there is no such language stating I have to like it. #NotMyUConn
Lol, Jesus. Our fan base is so sheltered.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time mustering any sympathy for a guy who half-assed a $3.5M job. He had a great job that paid insanely well and he only put like four toes in when he felt like it. All of this is on him.

I guess the lesson is that if you’re going to half-ass a $3.5M job, try not to do anything crazy to put your buyout in jeopardy. Like maybe try to avoid doing stuff that makes the NCAA interview the local prep coaches and visit campus and that sort of thing.

The economics of our current situation mean that anything paid to Kevin Ollie will come in the form of a subsidy from the university, i.e. the students.

Forget sympathy for Ollie do you think how we handle this business will effect the hiring of a new coach?

Reaction Score

Cross your fingers for another year?

That coaching job was beyond bad. Other than free throw shooting, this team did nothing well. Nobody but a relative handful of Ollie supporters wanted another year of that. The University wouldn't have fired him for "cause" if there wasn't some substance to it. I am certain UConn's legal counsel reviewed and approved the decision prior to it being official. Some of the details will surface soon. Probably best to reserve judgment until then.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Counter point: yes they should.

You either control the money or you don't.

If you don't control the money, you benefit from union representation.

Doesn't matter how much you make.
I think in the courts you do control the money if you perform to the terms of the contract. Contract law = offer and acceptance and performance. Burden of proof is on the employer if their is termination for "just cause". Moral:
perform the terms of the contract and you are entitled to the consideration (money and other benefits) for performance.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Sympathy and rooting are irrelevant to my take, but I would like to see them resolve it in a manner that does the least damage to the university and to him; right now it appears as though they are on the opposite path imo.

Reaction Score
Sympathy and rooting are irrelevant to my take, but I would like to see them resolve it in a manner that does the least damage to the university and to him; right now it appears as though they are on the opposite path imo.
Right, and a speedy resolution at that. As for the poster that's calling other posters morons, wow you have all the answers. The fact is this appears to have been handled badly. It looks worse the longer it takes.

Reaction Score
Forget sympathy for Ollie do you think how we handle this business will effect the hiring of a new coach?
Nope. The dismissal of Ollie for cause and the negotiating of the buyout is how/what every athletic department in America would do given our circumstances.

Reaction Score

You are either full of crap or hopelessly delusional. As Fishy pointed out, he didn't do his job for at least two years. He wasn't just bad at it. He barely tried. He cheated the university out of 6+ million. I am rooting for the university, the program and the students.

As for how this will impact hiring the next coach, they have nothing to fear so long as they don't both suck and break NCAA or university rules. The next coach either will assume he is going to be successful or we don't want him. This situation is actually a good thing as it helps weed out the weak. The moral of this story is, don't suck and, if you do, don't break rules.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
You may be right on the direction. There are now three parties (not two) involved. KO, University and the Union. Each has different motives. Let's hope that a reasonable and quick resolution prevails.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This is what kills me.

The day before Ollie was fired we have a thread on this board laughing at the way Pittsburgh is trying to apply the cause firing to Stallings. About how transparent and pathetic it looks.
Then the next day we come out and top it, but it ain’t so funny anymore.
All of this is absolutely conjecture for now until we know exactly what UConn is hitting him with and we see what shakes out.

There are two recent cases of cause.

No one in the country thinks Louisville was playing dirty by doing Pitino. It made sense. He screwed up and didn’t deserve a dime.

In the media right now Pittsburgh and UConn are getting questioned as trying to pull an end around. It has the potential to be a mess

Let’s see what UConns cards are.

Sympathy for Ollie?

None. I’m the guy who says don’t give him ONE DIME if we are justified to apply cause.

Reaction Score
Do you think Louisville's handling of Pitino will effect their hiring of a new coach?

Did Tennessee's handling of Bruce Pearl effect their search?

If UConn's handling of Ollie bothers a prospective coach they're interviewing then that guy is telling you he's O.K. with NCAA violations. In which case I'm moving on to the next candidate.

August_West

Reaction Score
Do you think Louisville's handling of Pitino will effect their hiring of a new coach?

Did Tennessee's handling of Bruce Pearl effect their search?

If UConn's handling of Ollie bothers a prospective coach they're interviewing then that guy is telling you he's O.K. with NCAA violations. In which case I'm moving on to the next candidate.

You can't say that yet because we don't know the cause reason.

Also Louisville dug in their heels , I want UConn to dig in their heels on the cause justification like Louisville did if they use it at all. If they don't, then it smells like BS.

So as of now there IS a difference between pearl pitino and Ollie until we get more info.

Neither Tennessee or Louisville hid their reason for cause. UConn hasn't said squat.

Reaction Score
You can't say that yet because we don't know the cause reason.

Also Louisville dug in their heels , I want UConn to dig in their heels on the cause justification like Louisville did if they use it at all. If they don't, then it smells like BS.

So as of now there IS a difference between pearl pitino and Ollie until we get more info.

Neither Tennessee or Louisville hid their reason for cause. UConn hasn't said squat.
They can’t say squat. The fact that ppl think AD Dave and the universities lawyers would allow them to fire for cause with no reasoning behind it delusional. If KO was clean then AD Dave and the University would not stick their neck out like this. Most people are arguing severity like it matters. Idc if KO violated the most minute NCAA rule, AD Dave has a right to fire him for cause. Arguing morality and hurt feelings in business is stupid. This isn’t personal it’s business. Both parties signed a contract and both parties are exercising their rights. UConn has a right to fire for cause if indeed some rule was broken(which I guarantee there was) and Ollie would be dumb not to fight it. The moment KO thinks he’ll be exposed he’ll settle. Which would have been AD Dave’s plan all along. Everyone connected to the situation knows KO isn’t clean. It’s not a secret

August_West

Reaction Score
They can’t say squat. The fact that ppl think AD Dave and the universities lawyers would allow them to fire for cause with no reasoning behind it delusional. If KO was clean then AD Dave and the University would not stick their neck out like this. Most people are arguing severity like it matters. Idc if KO violated the most minute NCAA rule, AD Dave has a right to fire him for cause. Arguing morality and hurt feelings in business is stupid. This isn’t personal it’s business. Both parties signed a contract and both parties are exercising their rights. UConn has a right to fire for cause if indeed some rule was broken(which I guarantee there was) and Ollie would be dumb not to fight it. The moment KO thinks he’ll be exposed he’ll settle. Which would have been AD Dave’s plan all along. Everyone connected to the situation knows KO isn’t clean. It’s not a secret
So fine.

We get to save our students 10 million.

August_West

Reaction Score
Not 10 more like 6 million. There will be a settlement

I don't know why we would give back 4 million of our students money if we have a just reason not to.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Subjective interpretation perhaps, but KO purportedly agreed to such oversight responsibilities in signing his own contract. On the other hand, perhaps the unknown, undefined "Just cause" falls much closer to squarely on KO's own shoes.

For a hypothetical example, what if "Just cause" involves a fair dose more than any NCAA allegations or FBI investigation, leans in to financial or HR issues, reputational considerations, etc. No facts regarding the latter; just tossing out some possible considerations versus a few others radar locked on some BS extra practice claims or some such tweeked or leaked quotes for borderline naive media or public consumption only.
I believe NCAA non-compliance is non-exclusive "just cause" under the contract, but I haven't read it recently.

Reaction Score
I don't know why we would give back 4 million of our students money if we have a just reason not to.
Because in the long run it cost more time, energy, and money to fight it out in court. KO definitely doesn’t want that, and the university just wants this to be over. Also if the booster funding the buyout rumor is true then that takes care of the 4 million without hurting the students

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Perhaps they appreciate the notion that ensuring proper invocation of "just cause" termination provisions helps protect all of them.
Probably not, would be my guess.

August_West

Reaction Score
To make it go away quickly. You know that. You're just being dense.
We are a severely cash strapped state University. In for a dime in for a dollar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom