Ollie Discrimination Lawsuit | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Ollie Discrimination Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Total misrepresentation of the comments.

The other guy claimed Tom Moore was part of the NCAA sanctions for UCONN. The NCAA disagrees. I'll trust their opinion (yuck) in this matter over a poster on the internet.

Reaction Score
How many times does it have to be spelled out to you that Ollie and Calhoun's situations aren't the same and yet you keep repeating black coach was treated differently than white coach. Now you guys are latching onto Tom Moore getting special treatment because he's white.

This is really stupid but worse it makes light of real racism which is an enormous problem.[/QUOTE
OK...situations are different. We'll see if the courts see it that way. I do not think so. The verbiage in the contracts has been pointed out by some previously is nearly identical. When you coach a program JC's contract does not allow him to break rules. There is no implied rule that allows him to commit NCAA violations. So I do not think they are different as you say.

Reaction Score
The other guy claimed Tom Moore was part of the NCAA sanctions for UCONN. The NCAA disagrees. I'll trust their opinion (yuck) in this matter over a poster on the internet.
As I said, facts are totally disregarded.

Reaction Score
I used to be a big Ollie supporter but he has officially hit rock bottom. It’s sad because he won’t be welcome at UConn now for a very long time (if ever). He made some poor choices in the lawyer department which really hurt him. He should be suing his lawyers rather than going after UConn. UConn should have just paid him $2-3M to go away. Who knows maybe they tried to and it was turned down. We have our future coach and the public damage has already been done. My gut tells me when the smoke clears this whole race card thing will hurt Ollie more than it hurts UConn. No one is going to hire him after this.

TJT

Reaction Score
I personally don't think Ollie was fired for racist reasons. I however also for one second don't believe he was fired for NCAA infractions either. Both sides can be rightfully called out for stretching things. The reality is that UConn fired KO for performance issues as he did not win enough games (unlike Calhoun). The school however did not want to pay him what would be due to him under those circumstances. They therefore used the just cause reasoning to get rid of him without having to pay him the 10M+. That reasoning has now painted the school into a corner as it opens itself up to accusations of treating employees (who happen to not be of the same color) differently. That is the sad state of affairs that now exists since a settlement was never reached.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I lost all respect for the man when I read that the other morning.
He had a contract that stipulated NCAA violations would be "just cause".
He committed or allowed to be committed under his jurisdiction, NCAA violations.
The man he replaced -- who also happened to be the man who pretty much forced UConn to hire him -- also committed or allowed to be committed under his jurisdiction, NCAA violations, or so says the NCAA. And the program self-reported those instances, which is not the same as getting caught lying in denying them. I would not be surprised if this ploy does not cost Ollie his primary champion in this ordeal.

Reaction Score
Whenever a contract has penalty stipulations I believe it is up to the injured party to decide whether to look for relief or not. In this case UConn chose to seek relief by firing Ollie. I believe we all agree that this would not have happened had Ollie been having success with the team.

The argument that Calhoun got away with it and Ollie did not is weak IMO for two reasons: Calhoun did not lie to the school or the NCAA and the school needed to be extra careful because they were coming off sanctions. Another occurence would result in a much harsher penalty.

It has been stated that Ollie’s team made an initial request for a settlement. It has also been stated that the request was for the full value of the contract. As a result no counter offer was made.

My experience is that a situation like this has a cost. Lawyers et al are not cheap. That makes me think that UConn would have been willing to negotiate a settlement had the initial response been reasonable. It was not.

Now the situation has led to allegations of discrimination. Whether this will succeed in court is anyone’s guess. How often have you see the results of litigation and come away shaking your head. It’s a shot Ollie and his team are willing to take.

No one wins here. But one team will suffer a lesser loss then the other. I do think in the long run these developments are more injurious to Ollie then UConn.

I also think that the Ollie who ran the program his first two years was not the same one that ran the program the last few years and that is a shame - I thought he showed great promise initially and was one of the last holdouts for his dismissal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn, Calhoun cited for 8 violations
UConn: NCAA finds 8 violations in men's hoops

The NCAA alleges 160 impermissible telephone calls and at least 191 impermissible text messages between recruits and coaches, including assistants Beau Archibald, Patrick Sellers, Andre LeFler, associate head coach George Blaney, and then-assistant Tom Moore, who is now the head coach at Quinnipiac.
Among the allegations against UConn is that Archibald and Sellers provided false and misleading information to NCAA investigators. Sellers and Archibald, who served as director of basketball operations, have both resigned. Hathaway said Archibald left last week and Sellers quit on Sunday.

Um is your point that UConn hasn't tolerated lying to the NCAA in past, just as it didn't with Ollie? Because if it was, you made it very well.

Of course Archibald and Sellers had the self-respect and personal decency to resign. So that's a difference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I personally don't think Ollie was fired for racist reasons. I however also for one second don't believe he was fired for NCAA infractions either. Both sides can be rightfully called out for stretching things. The reality is that UConn fired KO for performance issues as he did not win enough games (unlike Calhoun). The school however did not want to pay him what would be due to him under those circumstances. They therefore used the just cause reasoning to get rid of him without having to pay him the 10M+. That reasoning has now painted the school into a corner as it opens itself up to accusations of treating employees (who happen to not be of the same color) differently. That is the sad state of affairs that now exists since a settlement was never reached.
I suppose that is possible, doubtful, but possible. It is far more likely, though, that getting caught providing illegal travel, food and lodging for players to attending an illegal coaching session, lying about it to his bosses repeatedly, and lying about it to the NCAA all while leading UConn to two losing seasons in a row, and have kids transfer out of the program en masse might have played a role.

Moral of the story, if you are bad at your job, it's best not break rules and lie to your bosses when you are caught.

Reaction Score
What you miss is when you cite 'performance issues' and only say it was not winning enough games.
Q: Why didn't he win enough games?
A: He wasn't doing his job diligently
Q: Prior to termination he was paid despite not diligently fulfilling his contractual duties and in fact violating the contract, so why is he owed additional monies for a job he wasn't doing according to a contract he knowingly violated?

Reaction Score
Lets get serious here. KO is a state employee and part of the union. He was fired for the losing records- not minor NCAA violations. In CT, u can fire a state employee but taken away their benefits is a different story. There are people doing life for murder and still collecting pensions. KO is fighting for his dismissal severance and he has a good case. He is not paying a dime to his lawyers since they r provided for him by the Union or they r working for a part of the settlement. This thing can drag on forever. Susan needs to end this on her way out, DB can't do anything right

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Lets get serious here. KO is a state employee and part of the union. He was fired for the losing records- not minor NCAA violations. In CT, u can fire a state employee but taken away their benefits is a different story. There are people doing life for murder and still collecting pensions. KO is fighting for his dismissal severance and he has a good case. He is not paying a dime to his lawyers since they r provided for him by the Union or they r working for a part of the settlement. This thing can drag on forever. Susan needs to end this on her way out, DB can't do anything right

Parenteau is being retained personally by Ollie, not UConn’s AAUP chapter...

Reaction Score
Parenteau is being retained personally by Ollie, not UConn’s AAUP chapter...
I use to make some extra money review potential lawsuits cases. No lawyer will go forward with a case unless they think they have a good chance of getting some dough. Parenteau is no t sending KO a bill every week. He is waiting for the settle money. If KO loses, he gets nothing

Reaction Score
I use to make some extra money review potential lawsuits cases. No lawyer will go forward with a case unless they think they have a good chance of getting some dough. Parenteau is no t sending KO a bill every week. He is waiting for the settle money. If KO loses, he gets nothing
Wow, so I guess every lawsuit for damages wins and that must be how the courts decide. Not on the merits of the case but simply if a lawyer files it based on getting paid via settlement.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

First of all, I doubt every single claim you make about your professional experience, as any sane poster should.

Second, I don’t need you to explain to me what a contingency fee is...

Third, there is no reason for an attorney (especially one of Parenteau’s stature) with a client as wealthy as KO to ever take their case on a contingency fee basis. A case that’s required as many man-hours as this one is particularly ill-suited to any agreement that defers all payment until judgment has been reached.

Reaction Score
So do you think the courts will not look at Calhoun getting a pass and Ollie being fired for cause? That is where there could be a problem. Uconn may have to answer(even though the AD's where not the same person, how they allowed one to stay.
A) Calhoun didn't get a pass, and
B) This has been answered a million times.

The fact that UConn treated him differently than Calhoun is easily defended by the way the NCAA treats UConn different from virtually every other program.

Name the other programs that were punished a second time based on new rules/requirements that were applied retroactively? I'll wait.

Reaction Score
A) Calhoun didn't get a pass, and
B) This has been answered a million times.

The fact that UConn treated him differently than Calhoun is easily defended by the way the NCAA treats UConn different from virtually every other program.

Name the other programs that were punished a second time based on new rules/requirements that were applied retroactively? I'll wait.
Oh..OK...so "They did it first"???? Sorry, not credible.

Reaction Score
Lieing to the ncaa is not a "minor ncaa violation." He is going to get a show cause penalty from the NCAA. Google what that is.

How much is ko paying you to be on the "pr team."

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Is this the thread where posters can discuss the tabloid stories they have on KO?

Seems like the gag order is lifted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22