Ollie Discrimination Lawsuit | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Ollie Discrimination Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While we're on the topic, KO had 90 days to respond to NCAA's notice of allegations and that is approaching. Article was published on 9/29, so we should be hearing something on that fairly soon.

Ollie has 90 days to respond before the process continues. The Committee on Infractions will make the final declaration about the allegations and punishments after gathering information from officials at UConn, members of the enforcement staff and Ollie. Ollie can appeal the COI's decision, too.

Reaction Score
I'm not looking past it, it's the reason I think they should offer a small settlement, that said, I do believe UConn has a good story to tell with respect to the NCAA treatment while I'd be shocked if Ollie had any other examples of a pattern of discrimination by the AD to support his case.
So do you think the courts will not look at Calhoun getting a pass and Ollie being fired for cause? That is where there could be a problem. Uconn may have to answer(even though the AD's where not the same person, how they allowed one to stay.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Legalize, just attorneys doing what attorneys do, nothing personal

One should never get caught up in the highs and lows of litigation, that tends to be unhealthy

Reaction Score
So do you think the courts will not look at Calhoun getting a pass and Ollie being fired for cause? That is where there could be a problem. Uconn may have to answer(even though the AD's where not the same person, how they allowed one to stay.
Calhoun's continuing in his job or leaving wasn't litigated so they don't have to consider it. You assert a precedent that is not established, they had different contracts and the situations on just that basis are not the same. And with even a passing knowledge of UConn basketball, one cannot argue that anyone other than Geno's situation can be compared to Jim Calhoun's.

Contract matters the most, then time + accomplishments matter and for the nineteenth millionth time, actually doing your job effects keeping it and getting paid for it.

Reaction Score
CL82- in my mind its ticky tack and they were trying to find a reason to say goodbye. I mean , if I look hard enuff u can find dirt in anybody. Things aren’t black and white. Always room for gray. I’m sure you understand that if Ollie was winning and things were going fine this would never have come about - let’s just be honest with ourselves and say he got fired because of his performance and yes I do believe what he did was ticky tack - we can agree to disagree. Just like when Kurt king accepted a plane ticket to go home to see his family over holiday break and got suspended for the rest of The season. Sometimes commonsense needs to be applied- u sound like you’re defending those crooks at the NCAA - comical

Only “just like” the Kirk King incident of Calhoun had arranged for the improper tickets and then lied to UCONN and NCAA about it. Otherwise the two are Apples and Suzuki’s.

Reaction Score
Only “just like” the Kirk King incident of Calhoun had arranged for the improper tickets and then lied to UCONN and NCAA about it. Otherwise the two are Apples and Suzuki’s.

Just thinking about this scenario - i’d be surprised if Calhoun had done this ( arranges for improper benegits then lied about it ) and didn’t get fired.

Reaction Score
The false equivalencies are not what matters to Ollie's publicists acting on behalf of his lawyers. And so the agents here gaslight all of Ollie's complicity and with the press try to speak it into reality. It is a simple mud slinging pressure tactic trying much more to stick in court of public opinion versus court of law.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Different eras tho. Things are constantly changing in what is considered 'de rigeur' in MCBB.

There is a definitive demarcation line between pre 2012 sanctions and post 2012 sanctions as far as UCONN MCBB operational ethics goes. Everything coming after is judged under a different light, and subject to far greater scrutiny.

TJT

Reaction Score
It was a given that charges of racial discrimination would eventually be made if there was no mutual settlement reached. The different course of action by UConn in dealing with the white Calhoun and the black Ollie after program NCAA infractions was always the elephant in the room no one wanted to publicly talk about. The school really needed to find compromise with Ollie so that it did not get to this point. The accusations of racial bias are now out there and will do harm to UConn.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I would not think they have to prove discrimination per se, only that someone else was treated differently than he was.

But there are reasons they were treated differently. There is a different landscape at play. Once we were sanctioned for Nate Miles and then APR, we had the NCAA looking at us very closely, so any transgression, no matter how minor, matters.

Look at the hundreds of hours the NCAA spent investigating Ollie/UCONN on those supposed 'flimsy' transgressions.

The more transgressions and resulting punishments you have, the more severe those punishments will be.

In today's era, at UCONN, you have to toe the line completely, or they will come down on your head.

So operationally, you have to account for that fact.

TJT

Reaction Score
Another coaching move by UConn that Ollie is likely to bring up is the rehiring of the white Tom Moore as the top assistant to Hurley. Moore was caught up in the NCAA infractions incurred by UConn while Jim Calhoun was coach. If the school now claims to take the high road on infractions making people accountable, how could it have reasonably then hired Moore back after firing Ollie?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It was a given that charges of racial discrimination would eventually be made if there was no mutual settlement reached. The different course of action by UConn in dealing with the white Calhoun and the black Ollie after program NCAA infractions was always the elephant in the room no one wanted to publicly talk about. The school really needed to find compromise with Ollie so that it did not get to this point. The accusations of racial bias are now out there and will do harm to UConn.
Alternatively, KO's team had a choice whether or not to pursue these allegations or pursue arbitration. They chose the later. Now with deadline lapsing and facing a likely judgement against them in arbitration, they are trying to have their cake and eat it too. They are unlikely to prevail, particularly if they have contributed to the delay in having the arbitration hearing.

UConn is unlikely to hurt by empty knee jerk allegations of racism. Kevin on the other hand most certainly will by making them. KO's representation is making misstep after misstep. If KO needs money there may be a more likely place to find it.

Reaction Score
Another coaching move by UConn that Ollie is likely to bring up is the rehiring of the white Tom Moore as the top assistant to Hurley. Moore was caught up in the NCAA infractions incurred by UConn while Jim Calhoun was coach. If the school now claims to take the high road on infractions making people accountable, how could it have reasonably then hired Moore back after firing Ollie?
Because it was 12 years ago, and Moore ran a clean program at Quinnipiac.

Was he ever found to have committed violations? Articles I found said he was investigated, cooperates fully, and wasn’t named by the NCAA

intlzncster

Reaction Score

What are you talking about? Tom Moore was coaching at Quinnipiac since 2007. And with Nate Miles, the NCAA cleared him of everything. The Yahoo article was throwing snow against a wall hoping stuff would stick. Some did, but the Tom Moore part was BS.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score

For the umpteenth time, there's no elephant in the room. They were operating under different landscapes. Once UCONN had received sanctions under JC, UCONN was under the microscope. Every action of the program would be evaluated under stricter standards, by both the NCAA and the school, from there on out. You'll note the purported 100s of hours NCAA interviews that went into investigating KO. These weren't Louisville Hooker Ring violations, but they were pursued like they were.

TJT

Reaction Score
Which violations are we even talking about? Moore wasn't even involved in any of the recent stuff as it happened after his watch.

UConn, Calhoun cited for 8 violations
UConn: NCAA finds 8 violations in men's hoops

The NCAA alleges 160 impermissible telephone calls and at least 191 impermissible text messages between recruits and coaches, including assistants Beau Archibald, Patrick Sellers, Andre LeFler, associate head coach George Blaney, and then-assistant Tom Moore, who is now the head coach at Quinnipiac.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
UConn, Calhoun cited for 8 violations
UConn: NCAA finds 8 violations in men's hoops

The NCAA alleges 160 impermissible telephone calls and at least 191 impermissible text messages between recruits and coaches, including assistants Beau Archibald, Patrick Sellers, Andre LeFler, associate head coach George Blaney, and then-assistant Tom Moore, who is now the head coach at Quinnipiac.

I corrected my post just after posting. Moore was fully cleared by the NCAA. The Yahoo article was a hit piece, that tried to pin anything on anyone. Moore got caught in that crossfire.

COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Tom Moore is content Miles away from UConn

"Moore was ultimately cleared of any wrongdoing... "

So why is it suspect for UCONN to hire someone who had never stepped foot afoul of the NCAA? Strange concept.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I corrected my post just after posting. Moore was fully cleared by the NCAA. The Yahoo article was a hit piece, that tried to pin anything on anyone. Moore got caught in that crossfire.

COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Tom Moore is content Miles away from UConn

"Moore was ultimately cleared of any wrongdoing... "

So why would is it suspect for UCONN to hire someone who had never stepped foot afoul of the NCAA? Strange concept.
No need to keep rehashing this stuff, the same facts keep being brought up and every single time they are disregarded.

UConn and Calhoun are clearly racist.

Reaction Score

Different athletic directors?

Reaction Score
No need to keep rehashing this stuff, the same facts keep being brought up and every single time they are disregarded.

UConn and Calhoun are clearly racist.
Total misrepresentation of the comments.

Reaction Score
Total misrepresentation of the comments.
How many times does it have to be spelled out to you that Ollie and Calhoun's situations aren't the same and yet you keep repeating black coach was treated differently than white coach. Now you guys are latching onto Tom Moore getting special treatment because he's white.

This is really stupid but worse it makes light of real racism which is an enormous problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom