Ollie Discrimination Lawsuit | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Ollie Discrimination Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I remember the 60's and 70's when people said things like "there's some bad ones that spoil for everyone"....Somehow thought we were past that. And then people wonder why there actually is a race card.
Just stop.

Recognizing that "playing the race card" actually heightens the sense of risk that some generic entity might consider when making hiring decisions IS NOT the same as claiming that there is actually any truth or merit to the notion that said entity should not hire someone based on their race.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just stop.

Recognizing that playing the race card actually heightens the sense of risk that some generic entity might consider when making hiring decisions IS NOT the same as claiming that there is actually any truth or merit to the notion that said entity should not hire someone based on their race.
Sorry, a bunch of white guys calling out the race card does not work for me. Again, that is exactly why we have and need a race card.

Reaction Score
Good lord, what a bunch of malarkey. Did Diaco violate NCAA rules ? If not, then the two situations are different. Did Calhoun have specific "zero tolerance" language in his contract about NCAA violations ? If not, then the two situations are different.

I mean, seriously, this is just idiotic, frankly. UConn didn't have anything by which to fire Diaco FOR CAUSE. That's the difference. Oh, and he's white. Irrelevant.

Calhoun was a hall of fame coach with 50 years of coaching success and three (and a half) national championships. No, they were not going to fire THAT GUY for NCAA violations that, regardless of the narrative of how severe they were, were under his purview, but not actually committed BY Calhoun himself. The violations under Ollie were, in some cases, committed BY Kevin Ollie himself, and then he turned around and lied to the NCAA about it.

Knowing that there are known distinctions between cases precludes claiming, speciously, that the difference must be race. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

Pretending it isn't is intellectually dishonest, and that's being generous.
Ethered

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
This is pretty much the saddest way this whole thing could have ended. I don't know KO's legal team, but I imagine any one of us could pluck a better one out of an ant farm.

Reaction Score
Yes thank God for people like Glenn Miller. Ray Allen might have been on a speaker phone - a true ethical dilemma.

So if Glenn Miller is such an ethical standard why didn’t he take any of Calhoun’s violations to the NCAA?

Now please stop being an IDIOT.
Yes, if Glenn Miller knew about violations under Calhoun, he SHOULD have reported them. As you say, "everybody does it". The difference is, when you violate the rules, you are supposed to SELF report them. That's the ethical thing to do and based on history and NCAA rules, that's how you minimize the impact of rules violations because - as you say - everyone does it. Any notion that rules violations, committed in the vicinity of 18-21 year olds, are not going to be discovered is both naïve and stupid.

I don't really give a damn about Miller's motivation for reporting them. As I said the last time this ridiculous argument came up, you follow the rules in life. Period. And when you don't, it's not Glenn Miller's fault for "being a rat" that it comes back on you for breaking the rules. That's a complete cop out.

Kevin Ollie broke the rules. Then he lied about it to UConn. Then he lied about it to the NCAA. Those facts realistically have ZERO to do with Glenn Miller.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, if Glenn Miller knew about violations under Calhoun, he SHOULD have reported them. As you say, "everybody does it". The difference is, when you violate the rules, you are supposed to SELF report them. I don't really give a damn about Miller's motivation for reporting them. As I said the last time this ridiculous argument came up, you follow the rules in life. Period. And when you don't, it's not Glenn Miller's fault for "being a rat" that it comes back on you for breaking the rules. That's a complete cop out.

Kevin Ollie broke the rules. Then he lied about it to UConn. Then he lied about it to the NCAA. Those facts realistically have ZERO to do with Glenn Miller.

I have to admit I’m having fun mocking you - there is zero logical sense in your arguments.

Let’s see... three posts ago you said of course UConn didn’t fire Calhoun for breaking the rules because he won. Now you are claiming that you must follow the rules in life.

If the rat is on your side and you want to cheer for him - go for it. Just stop pretending your position has even a shread of logic.

Why can’t people just admit they want UConn to beat Ollie and they don’t care how they do it? It’s bizarre that the ones who actually won’t admit this position are the most offended by Ollie trying to beat UConn by any means.

Reaction Score
so sad to see how things have turned out . Loved him and was so glad he didn't quit for the NBA coaching ranks. Now he is destroying his legacy and hurting his chances for future work, and his legacy at the school who always loved him.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The most dishonest argument against Ollie is that it matters that he lied. If you are going to play the pedantic contact angle - the fact he lied doesn’t matter at all. Yet it is constantly harped on by our most pedantic.

Reaction Score
Supported KO up until this point. Get your mad you were fired - suing because you are black is worse and without less base than the suit of injustice in firing him without pay

Reaction Score
Everything Kevin Ollie did his final two years was irrelevant. He nearly made the program irrelevant and would have if they kept him on for the remainder of the contract. The fact that he violated NCAA rules, got caught, then lied about it is actually a blessing in disguise.
This is the main point as far as I an tell. I feel for KO. We clearly wanted out of his bad contract and found a loophole to do it. Problem for him is that he violated his contract. He gave us an excuse to fire him and we took it. we never wanted to be rid of JC so his violations (even if they were serious enough to terminate his contract) were not acted on. It is the schools choice if they want to terminate. JC was a legend, KO was not. I wish we would have settled and given him something for the great job he did getting us a national championship but I don't see where he has a case.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is the main point as far as I an tell. I feel for KO. We clearly wanted out of his bad contract and found a loophole to do it. Problem for him is that he violated his contract. He gave us an excuse to fire him and we took it. we never wanted to be rid of JC so his violations (even if they were serious enough to terminate his contract) were not acted on. It is the schools choice if they want to terminate. JC was a legend, KO was not. I wish we would have settled and given him something for the great job he did getting us a national championship but I don't see where he has a case.

Total agreement here. The mental gymnastics some here will play to justify the termination for cause are pretty funny though.

I didn't want KO to be the coach for longer than most, but UConn treated him differently than Calhoun. That's where the difference ends in my opinion. Has nothing to do with race. KO was a favorite son at UConn until he stopped giving a damn and got himself run out of town.

Reaction Score
Yes, if Glenn Miller knew about violations under Calhoun, he SHOULD have reported them. As you say, "everybody does it". The difference is, when you violate the rules, you are supposed to SELF report them. That's the ethical thing to do and based on history and NCAA rules, that's how you minimize the impact of rules violations because - as you say - everyone does it. Any notion that rules violations, committed in the vicinity of 18-21 year olds, are not going to be discovered is both naïve and stupid.

I don't really give a damn about Miller's motivation for reporting them. As I said the last time this ridiculous argument came up, you follow the rules in life. Period. And when you don't, it's not Glenn Miller's fault for "being a rat" that it comes back on you for breaking the rules. That's a complete cop out.

This is unbelievably naive. Do you hold it against Tom Moore that he not only failed to report the Nate Miles incident, but was actually implicated in it? Of course not. It was a petty violation that we got railroaded by the NCAA for. KO got railroaded for his petty violations by his own school. KO sucked towards the end and his life was spiraling out of control. Just fire him for that.

Reaction Score
Sorry, a bunch of white guys calling out the race card does not work for me. Again, that is exactly why we have and need a race card.

Ollie's contract likely had much more stringent language regarding violations as a result of Calhoun's violations. The language would have been just as stringent if Johnny Winter had been hired.

Reaction Score
He knows why he got fired ... for crissake we all know why he got fired.
And, yes, he got treated differently than Calhoun. Why? Because he’s NOT Calhoun ... but the climate is right so settle this quietly and move on. Well played.

Reaction Score
Ah, I do love the media. Fact is, they likely would have little, if ANY reaction to it since it has just about zero effect on them in reality.

But let the media stick a microphone and camera in your face and what used to have no effect on your life suddenly does.

In all practical matters, how these guys react to something that is far removed from their lives is not news worthy in any way. But that certainly isn't going to stop SOME GUY from asking them or publically speculating that someone else should ask if he doesn't.

Yea I saw that happen to Jalen in his post game interview and he looked incredibly uncomfortable....felt bad for him.

C

Chief00

This is unbelievably naive. Do you hold it against Tom Moore that he not only failed to report the Nate Miles incident, but was actually implicated in it? Of course not. It was a petty violation that we got railroaded by the NCAA for. KO got railroaded for his petty violations by his own school. KO sucked towards the end and his life was spiraling out of control. Just fire him for that.

Tom was cleared on Nate’s case.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to think this Ollie guy isn't all that great. Still want to seem him land on his feet somewhere, maybe Russia.

C

Chief00

The bottom line is both KO and his attorney are pouring time and money down a rat hole.

KO was a black guy the black AD at the time was reluctant to hire due to little coaching experience but was bullied or pursuaded into it by the white guy they are now attacking as the poster child for white privileged. The guy whose dad died when he was like 12 years old, who then cut gravestones, the guy who actually worked his way up with HS coaching gigs.

KO, now that he’s sold his $2.5 million mansion, expects us to believe all this.

KO and his bumbling Attorney deserve each other.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He got like 2/3rds of his cash. 7.5 out of 12+.

If we are being fair, McElwain's 'cause' was for receiving death threats that he didn't report in the correct procedural fashion. That's pretty soft.

Ollie was fired for lying to both the NCAA and to UCONN about what he did. And this is in the post Calhoun vacuum where JC, where UCONN was very clearly under the microscope (due to both JC himself and a particularly UCONN-rabid NCAA).

When you said, "Everywhere else they just pay him to go away - hell they paid DIACO to go away.", I assumed you were talking about the concept of firing for cause. Plenty of schools do THAT. If a school doesn't have to pay the full sum, they are not just going to gladly hand over millions.

Now, if you were talking settlement, I'm still unclear what or if Ollie was even offered anything. Or if Ollie's team offered a sum of their own. Or if there was any negotiation whatsoever.

There's been posturing and he said/she said from both sides, but I'm not aware of the facts.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The Ollie vitriol is a little over the top here, as I think this is largely lawyer driven. Most of us, myself included, tend to head the advice of our lawyers to the letter. They know better than us in these matters.

Nobody thinks he was fired for racial reasons; the lawyers don't, UCONN doesn't, the vast majority of the public doesn't, Ollie himself doesn't; there's an occasional media member who'll posit that idea for clicks or because of stupidity (this is CBB analysis after all).

This is solely a legal tactic. Ultimately, he's trying to recover some coin, any coin. The law doesn't care about being polite.

EDIT: that said, he's definitely burning his bridges here with this move. C'est la vie.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm going to cashapp him 1.5 million for his bills and to take a trip so we can be done with this. Ollie come'on. Sheeees

'Cashapp'. I've never seen this one. Only used Venmo and Paypal.

I learned something new in this thread!!

Is it good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34