Ollie Conjecture - Can you all just stop for a week? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie Conjecture - Can you all just stop for a week?

pj

Reaction Score
I need to ask a serious question about that. So far I'd put people in three categories.
1. Kevin Ollie needs to go no matter what
2. While we need a a new coach, I think he'll be back because we can't afford a buyout
3. While he hasn't done a good job, I'd give him one more year.

Is there another category? Are there people who actually think he's done a great job? If not, then the only way the place goes crazy is if he is back.

4. It looks from the outside like we need a new coach, but the key question is, can Ollie grow into a great coach, or not? Is he on an upward, growing trajectory, learning from his mistakes and remedying them, such that he'll become an excellent coach in a few years? To answer this one needs to be personally engaged with him and observing him up close, asking him to explain his decisions and thought processes and getting him to explain his results and what he's learned from what worked and what didn't work and how he'll change in the future. This is something that AD Dave Benedict as Ollie's boss has to be doing and is in a position to do; it's something we cannot do as outside observers. And if Ollie is indeed growing and learning and improving and shows enough aptitude for learning that he can reasonably become a great coach, then he should stay based on his alumni background, his NBA experience, and his national championship. But if he is too stupid or stubborn or unmotivated to improve to the level we need, then he needs to go. Therefore, I will trust in AD Dave Benedict to make the right call among options 1-3, and remain agnostic myself about what the right call is.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I think the final category is people that think Ollie hasn't had a fair shot due to injuries, transfers, decommits, players that don't care, etc. I think people in this category would be upset if he doesn't get another shot.

You descibed me perfectly except for the fact that I would only be 1/2 as upset as I would normally be if he doesnt get another shot, because I thought that putting away all the not under control stuff, that he failed some tests of things that were under his control this season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You descibed me perfectly except for the fact that I would only be 1/2 as upset as I would normally be if he doesnt get another shot, because I thought that putting away all the not under control stuff, that he failed some tests of things that were under his control this season.

About where I expected you to be. For me, it's worse. I have listened to him now for three years, talk about how he wants to play. I haven't seen the team play that way. I refuse to believe that three classes of kids who are generally more highly recruited than 3/4 of our opponents' players are, are just all somehow incapable of learning and executing a game plan. Our style of play, except for occasional stretches, is almost unwatchable. It is ugly pick-up basketball. It wasn't any different in the few games Gilbert played either.

I feel for the guy, because he looks lost. Like he has no answers. I hoped, earlier in the year, that he had re-examined his philosophy and approach and was prepared to change. It's become clear that he has doubled down on it instead. So I'm somewhere between 1-2 on my list.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I need to ask a serious question about that. So far I'd put people in three categories.
1. Kevin Ollie needs to go no matter what
2. While we need a a new coach, I think he'll be back because we can't afford a buyout
3. While he hasn't done a good job, I'd give him one more year.

Is there another category? Are there people who actually think he's done a great job? If not, then the only way the place goes crazy is if he is back.
4. Fire Ollie if a suitable candidate is within reach?

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

Last year I was firmly in this camp while my brother was telling me Ollie just didn't have what it takes. This year we swapped positions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Yeah - I didn't really expect the concept to go over well - was just hoping that people could stop attacking people on different sides of the fence.
Ollie haters are trying to build a wall to keep Ollie likers out or vice versa

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Holy crap. Really? :rolleyes: :D
Sure, why not?
It's like giving up drinking, smoking, sex, TV, unhealthy food, gambling, shopping, or whatever else may be prone to excess or abuse.
One of the signposts of addictive behavior patterns is the lengths to which a person goes to protect their supply.
What OP initially proposed could have shown up as a mutual support group. The idea appealed to me then and still appeals to me.

Reaction Score
Seriously - everybody has heard the arguments for and against. Whichever camp you're in, you aren't changing the mind of anyone from the other camp.

A couple of tweets from a conversation with Benedict has spawned an equal amount of he's staying, he's going thread that is going on 7 pages.

Yes, I understand its a fan page and people want to discuss things, but all you are doing is fighting a civil war with your brothers.

Unless someone has some real inside information, can we all just stop speculating for a week or so and stop attacking each other?

I have my own opinion about what will happen, but there's no use in sharing that as I have no actual clue and half of you will attack me for that opinion.

Seriously, just stop for a bit.

And for those on the fence can we keep being idiots?:eek:

Reaction Score
It is natural for people to wonder about the future of something they have put their energy, time, money, heart, etc. into. So no, I do not expect people to stop for a week or even a day. If you do not like it, you can always ignore threads!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
And for those on the fence can we keep being idiots?:eek:
I doubt any of us can stop being idiots. I guess my original post didn't get from my brain to the keyboard fully. I had time to think about it today and what I'm most tired of are watching various groups of two or three people who keep saying the same thing thinking they are suddenly going to get the other person to see the light and come to their side. Just too many interactions that go back and forth for 6, 10, 12+ posts of each side reiterating the same thing they said umpteen times before.

So let me rephrase: If you don't have an original thought or take, why are you posting again?

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
So let me rephrase: If you don't have an original thought or take, why are you posting again?
If people waited until they had an original thought (or take) before posting, this place would be a ghost town. Isn’t 90% of the offseason traffic related to 4-year-old pizza and beer threads?

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score

At the 8:27 mark KO makes some remarks.

"that's what we believe at the University of Connecticut- it's a family. Good times, bad times we gonna stick together." - Kevin Ollie

I don't know him personally, but nobody probably wants to succeed worse than KO. This isn't me justifying keeping him, but it's important to remember he is a part of the UConn family & doesn't deserve any below the belt shots. I for one am hoping for a graceful parting of ways from KO & the program. No need to take headshots at a guy whose on the ropes in the 12th round and can't lift his arms to defend himself.

Reaction Score
Last year I was firmly in this camp while my brother was telling me Ollie just didn't have what it takes. This year we swapped positions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How in the world did this season cause your brother to change his mind? There has been nothing positive to support that.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If people waited until they had an original thought (or take) before posting, this place would be a ghost town. Isn’t 90% of the offseason traffic related to 4-year-old pizza and beer threads?
There's way more of interest & enjoyment on The Boneyard than you are suggesting.

Yes, I feel a little 'left out' by not weighing in on 'the topic,' but that's fleeting, and 'literally nobody is clamoring' for what I'd have written. This post doesn't make much of a difference either.

Anybody think Colgate can get its 20th victory & an NCAA bid by beating Bucknell in the Patriot finals on Wednesday?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting that those threads are filled with unoriginal thoughts?

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
How in the world did this season cause your brother to change his mind? There has been nothing positive to support that.

First, the timing of when Gilbert went down was very unfortunate for us. We had been playing decent with him, and things really went down hill once he got injured in that MSU game. The players didn't have any time to adjust to their new roles before we had to play the most difficult portion of our schedule, and that all the loses were very demoralizing. blah blah blah

Second, is that he thinks the players this year are historically bad and if Ollie really did need to prove himself to keep his job, he didn't really have a fair shot. I am not sure if Gilbert would have actually made that much of a difference. I will say that I Ollie is kinda hamstrung by the fact that this team shoots so terribly. Even just having Vance on this team probably would have opened up the floor enough for Adams and the offense to be more effective.

Due to injuries, transfers and decommits Ollie hasn't really been able to play with two decent PGs since 2014. Next year having Adams with Gilbert/Akinjo would hopefully give us that.

Personally, I just cant get over some of his playing time decisions. There really is no excuse for how much he plays DO over guys like Diarra and Williams. Even if you don't have the players to succeed that isn't an excuse for not playing your best guys. It's downright baffling sometimes. Ollie's system relies on giving the players a lot of freedom, but he puts in players that can' t be trusted with that freedom.

I am a big fan of Dan Hurley. I think he has a lot of the same character traits as Calhoun, and it is clear he cares a lot about his players. They have created a strong family environment at URI. Beyond him, there isn't anyone I am particularly excited about. If he is available I would grab him, but if he isn't I would probably give Ollie one more year to see what he has left up his sleeve and so the buyout would decrease.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There's way more of interest & enjoyment on The Boneyard than you are suggesting.

Yes, I feel a little 'left out' by not weighing in on 'the topic,' but that's fleeting, and 'literally nobody is clamoring' for what I'd have written. This post doesn't make much of a difference either.

Anybody think Colgate can get its 20th victory & an NCAA bid by beating Bucknell in the Patriot finals on Wednesday?

Nope, Bucknell smokes those clowns at Colgate

Reaction Score
First, the timing of when Gilbert went down was very unfortunate for us. We had been playing decent with him, and things really went down hill once he got injured in that MSU game. The players didn't have any time to adjust to their new roles before we had to play the most difficult portion of our schedule, and that all the loses were very demoralizing. blah blah blah

Second, is that he thinks the players this year are historically bad and if Ollie really did need to prove himself to keep his job, he didn't really have a fair shot. I am not sure if Gilbert would have actually made that much of a difference. I will say that I Ollie is kinda hamstrung by the fact that this team shoots so terribly. Even just having Vance on this team probably would have opened up the floor enough for Adams and the offense to be more effective.

Due to injuries, transfers and decommits Ollie hasn't really been able to play with two decent PGs since 2014. Next year having Adams with Gilbert/Akinjo would hopefully give us that.

Personally, I just cant get over some of his playing time decisions. There really is no excuse for how much he plays DO over guys like Diarra and Williams. Even if you don't have the players to succeed that isn't an excuse for not playing your best guys. It's downright baffling sometimes. Ollie's system relies on giving the players a lot of freedom, but he puts in players that can' t be trusted with that freedom.

I am a big fan of Dan Hurley. I think he has a lot of the same character traits as Calhoun, and it is clear he cares a lot about his players. They have created a strong family environment at URI. Beyond him, there isn't anyone I am particularly excited about. If he is available I would grab him, but if he isn't I would probably give Ollie one more year to see what he has left up his sleeve and so the buyout would decrease.
Kind of where I am. On one hand I'd like to see what KO could do with a team that isn't so flawed but on the other hand some of his decisions this season left me scratching my head.
There is a tendency to go the doom and gloom route but this is basketball and we are only a couple of players away the tournament.
Disagree on Gilbert. He had the potential to add maybe 4 wins to our record; not enough to make the tournament but enough to put us over .500.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom