Ollie and staff have done the impossible | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ollie and staff have done the impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Idiot, he has three 20 win seasons and a National Championship in that span. Don't run off the dock.

You want to hang your hat on three 20 win seasons? I went back and counted actually 20 cupcake games they scheduled (as teams usually do) over the past three seasons. They won 19 of them (loss to Yale).

And I've seen NOTHING out of Ollie to suggest he's got what it takes to coach a team he's built and compete at an elite level.

Remember: no Napier, no National Championship. That was Calhoun's team, and frankly, JC's fingerprints were all over it.

"Idiot".

#HotTake, brah!

Reaction Score
I just don't understand this. People are going to vent their frustrations, and even if most is gibberish (maybe some of my own thoughts are, idk) they should still have a place to vent those frustrations. I may be in the minority but I doubt think this board should be relegated to rainbows and pots of gold
Because this place should be held to some standard of discourse, and I believe (as you yourself describe it [and with which I wholeheartedly agree]) "gibberish" and the idiots here who spout it should not become to any degree representative of the UConn fan base.

Reaction Score
You want to hang your hat on three 20 win seasons? I went back and counted actually 20 cupcake games they scheduled (as teams usually do) over the past three seasons. They won 19 of them (loss to Yale).

And I've seen NOTHING out of Ollie to suggest he's got what it takes to coach a team he's built and compete at an elite level.

Remember: no Napier, no National Championship. That was Calhoun's team, and frankly, JC's fingerprints were all over it.

"Idiot".

#HotTake, brah!

This is why I'm waiting to see what happens next year to really have an opinion of Ollie. Yes, they'll be freshman - but they'll be his freshman

Reaction Score
Because this place should be held to some standard of discourse, and I believe (as you yourself describe it [and with which I wholeheartedly agree]) "gibberish" and the idiots here who spout it should not become to any degree representative of the UConn fan base.

I just disagree fundamentally I guess. It's not my website - mods and the owners of the site have the final say, and the right to the final say, but allowing criticism is important imo. If you start killing threads and banning people based on being negative you're ignoring reality. It doesn't mean the negative folks are right, but at least let discourse and discussion be had.

Reaction Score
This is why I'm waiting to see what happens next year to really have an opinion of Ollie. Yes, they'll be freshman - but they'll be his freshman

I understand your point of view, but all the while, as the data compiles, the early returns aren't looking too promising for the longterm outlook.

I'd *love* to be proven wrong.

Reaction Score
I'd *love* to be proven wrong.
No you wouldn't, because if this were true you wouldn't dismiss a national championship. You wouldn't out of hand dismiss 4 20-win seasons in a row. You wouldn't have disappeared for a year only to post after a loss.

Reaction Score
I just disagree fundamentally I guess. It's not my website - mods and the owners of the site have the final say, and the right to the final say, but allowing criticism is important imo. If you start killing threads and banning people based on being negative you're ignoring reality. It doesn't mean the negative folks are right, but at least let discourse and discussion be had.
I'm not arguing against discourse or criticism. I'm saying there needs to be a standard to it. If you think "gibberish" is up to standard, I have no response besides a disappointed shake of the head.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I was a Shaka Smart supporter when JC was leaving but we were a victim of timing. Does anyone here honestly believe that a team with as much individual talent as we have would be 20-9 with Shaka Smart coaching?

Would he have beaten himself like KO did this very season?

Reaction Score
I'm not arguing against discourse or criticism. I'm saying there needs to be a standard to it. If you think "gibberish" is up to standard, I have no response besides a disappointed shake of the head.

And I think your point of view and opinion are fair. But there's nothing wrong with riding out threads, either, in my opinion. Look, some of the posts may be wrong, but not all the criticizing posts are gibberish. What seems to happen here is that people start to label everything negative as gibberish - that's what I think is/would be a dangerous precedent.

Reaction Score
And I think your point of view and opinion are fair. But there's nothing wrong with riding out threads, either, in my opinion. Look, some of the posts may be wrong, but not all the criticizing posts are gibberish. What seems to happen here is that people start to label everything negative as gibberish - that's what I think is/would be a dangerous precedent.
Well, there can be. I won't get into the debate about this thread, but players, parents, coaches, recruits, etc. read this site. So this isn't going into the ether. Hell, @mauconnfan got called out by Calhoun (not by name) for the criticism he gave Taliek. So while the mods here let a lot go, rock is right in that it can't just be an anonymous venting board.

Reaction Score
Well, there can be. I won't get into the debate about this thread, but players, parents, coaches, recruits, etc. read this site. So this isn't going into the ether. Hell, @mauconnfan got called out by Calhoun (not by name) for the criticism he gave Taliek. So while the mods here let a lot go, rock is right in that it can't just be an anonymous venting board.

Maybe we're from a different generation then, but imo anything online that isn't illegal is fair game. Mods/Admins have the right to remove whatever they please but let's be honest - it's not my fault or your fault that someone connected to the program reads a post here.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Would he have beaten himself like KO did this very season?
Not sure, but he'll be in the NCAA tournament while we're mailing it in and going out in the first round of the NIT. Speaking of the NIT, we shouldn't accept invites to the NIT anymore. Our players have no interest in being there. The NIT is great for programs on their way up.

Reaction Score
Maybe we're from a different generation then, but imo anything online that isn't illegal is fair game. Mods/Admins have the right to remove whatever they please but let's be honest - it's not my fault or your fault that someone connected to the program reads a post here.
If something you say online even tangentially affects the team, you have to actually think about it, and not post gibberish.

In "my generation" if you wouldn't say something to someone's face, you shouldn't say it. That's pretty much the definition of cowardice. We all cross that line from time to time on the Boneyard, but keeping it in mind is important.

This place isn't your sounding board. That's what a diary is for.

Reaction Score
Holding standards of discourse transcends generational barriers. You, individually, simply don't value the application of standards.

Reaction Score
If something you say online even tangentially affects the team, you have to actually think about it, and not post gibberish.

In "my generation" if you wouldn't say something to someone's face, you shouldn't say it. That's pretty much the definition of cowardice. We all cross that line from time to time on the Boneyard, but keeping it in mind is important.

This place isn't your sounding board. That's what a diary is for.

Eh that's what the internet is. Whether you're right or wrong, that's reality.

Reaction Score
Was at the game today. While Ollie has his issues on the sideline it was very apparent that the collective talent in the program isn't close to what it use to be. Not that we didn't already know that but it was really eye-opening to see it first hand. It looked like two evenly matched teams out there.

Again, not to excuse KO - better coaching would have given us a few more wins at the moment - but outside of Adams we don't have difference makers, we don't have guys who are either more athletic, more skilled or tougher than the opposition anymore. No one on the current roster has a prayer at making an NBA roster besides Adams (maybe Hamilton given that his skill set will fit in perfectly with today's NBA). Even as a raw freshman PG Adams stands out like crazy in-person. He makes his mistakes and will shoot a poor % as all frosh PG do but he can do things that no one else can do on this team. He's also the only PG on the roster, Gibbs sure as hell isn't a playmaker. Having one PG is going to make things rough on any college team.

Every single player on the team besides Miller is wildly inconsistent. Gibbs was a complete non-factor today. Same with Purvis - just like Gibbs it's an exercise in futility any time he puts the ball on the floor. If their shot is off then they'll be providing a lot of empty minutes - though at least Purvis can defend. Omar looked like he was in a rush and out of control every time he touched the ball in his limited minutes. Brimah's rim protection can be great but then he has days like this where he goes for too many unblockable shots and we get hurt on the boards.

Also, in-person it was very clear that the chemistry on this team is really lacking. This team hasn't gelled and it's plain as day. Bickering, confusion, finger-pointing, etc. I don't know if it made it on TV but in the 2nd half after Hamilton tried to throw that long pass up-court to Gibbs and it got picked off, Gibbs threw a tantrum and didn't get back on D. Not what you want from your 5th (6th?) year senior.

Reaction Score
Holding standards of discourse transcends generational barriers. You, individually, simply don't value the application of standards.

Not sure why, once again, I'm being personally attacked on "values" or "morals" for a personal opinion. I might be a D#$K sometimes in the chat but never on the boards

Reaction Score
Eh that's what the internet is. Whether you're right or wrong, that's reality.
Well, it is or it isn't, right, since each site gets its own rules and standards.

And, as a longstanding member and (somehow) a moderator, I can say we have them. So, not to be a dck, but here it isn't really the internet.

Again, if you want to just blow off steam without the thought of consequences, buy a diary. We let a lot go, but we won't let it all go.

Reaction Score
Well, it is or it isn't, right, since each site gets its own rules and standards.

And, as a longstanding member and (somehow) a moderator, I can say we have them. So, not to be a dck, but here it isn't really the internet.

Again, if you want to just blow off steam without the thought of consequences, buy a diary. We let a lot go, but we won't let it all go.

So once again, you're kind of attacking me. I don't think I've said anything "damaging" or out of the realm of reality - but for some reason you're latching onto my posts in particular. I just don't get it. Go see me on the football board if you want to see me posting about rainbows.

Reaction Score
So once again, you're kind of attacking me. I don't think I've said anything "damaging" or out of the realm of reality - but for some reason you're latching onto my posts in particular. I just don't get it. Go see me on the football board if you want to see me posting about rainbows.

You were defending the other posts, not just your own, presumably, when you laid your cards down on how the board should be run.

Reaction Score
You were defending the other posts, not just your own, presumably, when you laid your cards down on how the board should be run.

Wow talk about taking what I said out of context. I didn't say every post here should stay. I said that it's a slippery slope to start removing anything negative about the program. I bleed blue as much as anyone else here - 4 years at UConn, huge sports fan, lived in CT all my life, etc. You played a straw man and you can stick to it as much as you'd like but it's not the truth.

Reaction Score
Wow talk about taking what I said out of context. I didn't say every post here should stay. I said that it's a slippery slope to start removing anything negative about the program. I bleed blue as much as anyone else here - 4 years at UConn, huge sports fan, lived in CT all my life, etc. You played a straw man and you can stick to it as much as you'd like but it's not the truth.

All I said was that when you made your comment, you were defending more than your own posts, which is why his posts weren't "singling" your posts out.

Reaction Score
@JMick It's not so much you, as the line of thought. It's not a slippery slope to say that this isn't a place where anything goes.

Also, nothing says you can't be negative. I hate that canard that when people are called out for ridiculousness, everyone else wears rose glasses.

To be clear, these two seasons have not been great. But this season, much to the surprise of some posters, isn't done yet.

KO can and needs to get better at a number of things. The program is in a transition that hasn't been what we'd want, but is better than most programs have experienced. We went from a Top 5 all time coach to a guy who never coached a game in his life. And the program was banned from the NCAAs while also being unable to recruit at full strength. Taking over for JC is easy. It's like riding a bike. Except the bike is on fire and you're on fire and everything is on fire and you're in hell.

And in the process, have never won fewer than 20 games while also winning a Championship. Find me another program that transitioned from an all time great that well.

Reaction Score
All I said was that when you made your comment, you were defending more than your own posts, which is why his posts weren't "singling" your posts out.
Once again, completely taking what I said out of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom