Ollie and player progression | The Boneyard

Ollie and player progression

Reaction Score
I have been critical in the past when it comes to Ollie and player development. I've come to recognize there is probably no coach who could reach these two. Facey never really progressed in his career but the past few weeks he looks like an entirely different player, Adams has progressed so much that I'm now scared he will leave. Vance has progressed a ton this season and Enoch is even starting to look more comfortable (it will all click for him at some point.) We saw Bazz, Boat, Niels and DeAndre progress under Ollie but with this current group many of us weren't seeing the progression we would have liked, well now we are seeing it. Much of the consternation revolves around Brimah and Purvis and they seem unreachable. . . . . . It hasn't translated to wins but this team looks nothing like it did earlier in the season. If Jalen comes back (still think he will) look out.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Agree with this. This team is steadily improving in most areas. We win this game today if our center doesn't commit 2 useless fouls outside the arc, and then reaches down at a shot when flat-footed against a post move. Georgetown was more physical in the second half, particularly when Brimah was out, and made an abnormal number of 3's in quick succession just when it looked strong for us.

We can survive a few Purvis glitches. We will struggle when Brimah has to sit for extended periods.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Agree with this. This team is steadily improving in most areas. We win this game today if our center doesn't commit 2 useless fouls outside the arc, and then reaches down at a shot when flat-footed against a post move. Georgetown was more physical in the second half, particularly when Brimah was out, and made an abnormal number of 3's in quick succession just when it looked strong for us.

We can survive a few Purvis glitches. We will struggle when Brimah has to sit for extended periods.

Agreed
AB sitting for extended periods is what hurts this team the most - especially with the numbers UConn has now

Reaction Score
I don't think it'll be a piece of cake to replace Brimah, but I also don't think it'll as difficult as replacing some of UConn's past shot blockers.

He's obviously a force on defense when he's playing well, but in four years, you could never consistently rely on him to stay on the court. Additionally, he wasn't a great one-on-one defender, and his tendency to go for blocked shots often left the team susceptible to offensive rebounds.

I'm really not trying to diminish his defensive impact because he's superior on that end to anyone on the current roster. But when you factor in both sides of the ball, I think UConn will be able to get by just fine next year in the frontcourt.

Reaction Score
Adams is our best player by far and going to be a stud, but he's not even close to NBA level right now. Just turn on any NBA game for 30 minutes and you will see what I mean. Adams isn't even on 2018 top 100 draft boards. The speculation of him leaving for anywhere but another college is mind boggling.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Adams is our best player by far and going to be a stud, but he's not even close to NBA level right now.

Like that ever matters.

The world is littered with players who jump before they should. Irregarardless of whether message board fans, scouts, or even coaches think they should.

I don't know how people don't see this these days.

Reaction Score
Not just rim protection though. Defense as a whole. A lot of it revolves around simply having Brimah down low. I'm a defense first guy; that's why it bothers me so much.

Sorry overrated. Think about how he looked today on D, lost. Started out the game with a rebound and a travel, should have been our ball. Instead open jumper for 2 - 4 point swing under a minute in,doesn't mean much but it's him. Now while I like him when he's on a run and scares teams, most that like him a lot tend to forget the plays he makes during most any game which negates his effectiveness. I'm not saying we have the answer anywhere on that team or coming in, but the offense will be better for sure, and there will be less TO's due to the fact the floor will be more open 5 vs 5 rather than our 4 vs 5. And defense, well you have argument he's a difference maker for sure, but he's just not that much of one. Unfortunately for us he's a difference maker all the time, just no clue whether it's positive or negative. I will appreciate the consistency we will have on both ends without him, can't go by 10 games out of 30 a year sorry!

Reaction Score
I have been critical in the past when it comes to Ollie and player development. I've come to recognize there is probably no coach who could reach these two. Facey never really progressed in his career but the past few weeks he looks like an entirely different player, Adams has progressed so much that I'm now scared he will leave. Vance has progressed a ton this season and Enoch is even starting to look more comfortable (it will all click for him at some point.) We saw Bazz, Boat, Niels and DeAndre progress under Ollie but with this current group many of us weren't seeing the progression we would have liked, well now we are seeing it. Much of the consternation revolves around Brimah and Purvis and they seem unreachable. . . . . . It hasn't translated to wins but this team looks nothing like it did earlier in the season. If Jalen comes back (still think he will) look out.
I agree a lot of players are progressing. Purvis has a travelling gene in his DNA, it can't be fixed. Brimah from game to game is different but against big heavy guys he does not do well and when things start bad it's just going to be a bad night.

Reaction Score
Perimeter players have developed under KO (Bazz, Boat, DD, Adams), but bigs, by and large, have not.

Facey has looked much better lately, but it shouldn't take 3.5 years for a top 100 big who was given ample opportunity to earn playing time to get to that point.

Purvis has atrocious basketball IQ, plain and simple. But I feel like the bigs -- Nolan, Brimah, etc., should have progressed more than they did.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I felt sick watching the team blow a 14 pt lead in the second half. What was most disheartening was that Purvis and Brimah, the seniors, just became totally unglued in this game. I am sorry to say this but I think they are doing the best they can. They are just way too erratic and utterly inconsistent at this late stage of their college careers to make any meaningful changes. I don't even blame the coaches. It is what it is. Better years are coming; that I believe. Just going to have to ride this out and focus on the younger players making progress until help arrives next year.

Reaction Score
I have seen improvement in probably every player, the with the exception being Durham. Not really sure what he adds to the team at this point. Maybe a warm body and a good scrimmage player.

Reaction Score
Sorry overrated. Think about how he looked today on D, lost. Started out the game with a rebound and a travel, should have been our ball. Instead open jumper for 2 - 4 point swing under a minute in,doesn't mean much but it's him. Now while I like him when he's on a run and scares teams, most that like him a lot tend to forget the plays he makes during most any game which negates his effectiveness. I'm not saying we have the answer anywhere on that team or coming in, but the offense will be better for sure, and there will be less TO's due to the fact the floor will be more open 5 vs 5 rather than our 4 vs 5. And defense, well you have argument he's a difference maker for sure, but he's just not that much of one. Unfortunately for us he's a difference maker all the time, just no clue whether it's positive or negative. I will appreciate the consistency we will have on both ends without him, can't go by 10 games out of 30 a year sorry!
I hope I have to eat my words next year, but I have serious concerns about a rotation of Enoch, Durham, Diarra, and Carlton being able to play consistently on defense. I think offensively we'll look worlds better with those guys. But hopefully Enoch and Durham can develop enough where they'll change my mind going into next season

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
And defense, well you have argument he's a difference maker for sure, but he's just not that much of one. Unfortunately for us he's a difference maker all the time, just no clue whether it's positive or negative. I will appreciate the consistency we will have on both ends without him, can't go by 10 games out of 30 a year sorry!

I'm just thinking this year, in that Brimah is needed. Enoch's doesn't anticipate and react well enough in help situations inside yet, and Durham doesn't have the strength to bang with a Govan or a Derrickson. That leaves just Facey on the current team to handle things, and that's not enough on D.

Our offense was enough this game with or without Brimah, but the defense wasn't. As for next year, well we won't have that shot blocker, so the others - Enoch, Durham, Carlton and hopefully Diarra - will need to be able to play stronger individually, stronger on the boards, and with better anticipation on the help.

Reaction Score
Like that ever matters.

The world is littered with players who jump before they should. Irregarardless of whether message board fans, scouts, or even coaches think they should.

I don't know how people don't see this these days.
He's certainly way more NBA ready than DHam but another year in college and he can be the best point guard in the country, can take us places and be the first point guard taken in the draft. This year he is behind like 5 point guards. The right play is coming back and my guess is he does, you never know though.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have seen improvement in probably every player, the with the exception being Durham. Not really sure what he adds to the team at this point. Maybe a warm body and a good scrimmage player.

This is basically a rehab year man. It's not a big deal.

The only expectation (hope) I had for Durham this year is to not get hurt again. Get his legs underneath him. So far so good.

C

Chief00

Brimah played 7 minutes today and produced little in that time. It is what it is. How can that be missed a lot? I like him as a person - but when I break down basketball I try to be objective. Sometimes I get criticized for that by certain posters but many others IM me and express their appreciation. But, anyways I would be like that regardless - I guess it's the Boston thing. Bazz and I would talk and sometimes early in his career he would get reactions for his Boston candor - some people like to sugar coat stuff in CT. Calhoun had the same problem but he was super successful and quite frankly did not care if the casual fan thought that. Until 2014 the candor would sometimes rub the Chicago thing the wrong way. Boatright was more that Chicago creed and it did not always mix well with the blunt Boston approach. Jim always understood Bazz but not always Boatshow. He did not always get the Chicago thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Perimeter players have developed under KO (Bazz, Boat, DD, Adams), but bigs, by and large, have not.

Facey has looked much better lately, but it shouldn't take 3.5 years for a top 100 big who was given ample opportunity to earn playing time to get to that point.

Purvis has atrocious basketball IQ, plain and simple. But I feel like the bigs -- Nolan, Brimah, etc., should have progressed more than they did.

Brimah's BBIQ is just as bad as RP. Nolan was also a 3-star guy who wasn't top 20 at his position, it'd be harsh to blame Ollie for a guy like that not becoming some big time impact player.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Brimah played 7 minutes today and produced little in that time. It is what it is. How can that be missed a lot? I like him as a person - but when I break down basketball I try to be objective. Sometimes I get criticized for that by certain posters but many others IM me and express their appreciation. But, anyways I would be like that regardless - I guess it's the Boston thing. Bazz and I would talk and sometimes early in his career he would get reactions for his Boston candor - some people like to sugar coat stuff in CT. Calhoun had the same problem but he was super successful and quite frankly did not care if the casual fan thought that. Until 2014 the candor would sometimes rub the Chicago thing the wrong way. Boatright was more that Chicago creed and it did not always mix well with the blunt Boston approach. Jim always understood Bazz but not always Boatshow. He did not always get the Chicago thing.

This entire post is peak Chief.

What are you even talking about?

Reaction Score
This year really illustrates just how much DHam meant to his offense. No one there to throw him lobs. Amazing to look around and see other unheralded players who at least have something to provide on offense.

Reaction Score
Agreed that some players you just cant get through to, so I dont completely blame Ollie for that. I guess I do blame them (him and his staff) because they have to be able to see the future. Does this kid have a good head on his shoulders? Does he need ALOT of work on fundamentals? Does he work hard on improving his game? Will he listen to criticism and try to improve. These things are important to player development (progression). Purvis could be have the right attitude and work on his game day and night, but just watching him play you should be able to come to the conclusion that he just has too many holes to become a really good shooter or distributor ect...If he fits your plans without being good at those things, you take him, but dont get him expecting him to be a lights out shooter and a drive and dish guy, he isnt capable. Same with Amida, if he fits with his given skillset great (he looked amazing at times with Dham offensively at times), but if you want him to bang down low and post up, you are going to be dissapointed. The staff and Ollie has to put these pieces of the puzzle together.

I will say this though, that has to be really hard to do. You recruit knowing that these 2 players will fit well together, and you get one but not the other. Or 1 leaves for college early, or someone gets injured... We have alot all these mixes come into play all at the same time. Some things are bound to not workout the way you expected them to.

Reaction Score
I'm just thinking this year, in that Brimah is needed. Enoch's doesn't anticipate and react well enough in help situations inside yet, and Durham doesn't have the strength to bang with a Govan or a Derrickson. That leaves just Facey on the current team to handle things, and that's not enough on D.

Our offense was enough this game with or without Brimah, but the defense wasn't. As for next year, well we won't have that shot blocker, so the others - Enoch, Durham, Carlton and hopefully Diarra - will need to be able to play stronger individually, stronger on the boards, and with better anticipation on the help.

I see what you're saying but Brimah would have little impact playing in the 2nd half anyway, they killed us from the perimeter and FT line - made seemingly everything. And the looses balls around the hoop, he doesn't get them either, none of our guys did it killed us with 2nd chances. It's not like we would have missed him on the boards right? No doubt Steve needs to get better on help especially not being able to make up his inefficiencies with a blocked shot. But he guarded off of help twice to the rim and did a great job moving his feet, missed a couple other times but I see improvement. The fact he moves people and can be physical I like more and if he gets it we don't lose, or if others can take some minutes.

Great kid, good Husky but the game never came natural to him minus the blocks. There has been improvement at times this year but real improvement is knowing you have to be smart and consistent on the court. He wasn't alone yesterday as we know there were several mistakes which led to losing the chance for a real nice win. The hope is eventually they feel what it's like to win one of these and move on from there, this will be very important to those returning to put the Huskies back on the map next year.

And to the Facey thing, man I wish like many others have stated that the coaching staff had redshirted him along the way. It's amazing the jump to now and the player he is, just coming into his own happy for him.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don't know. I've seen AB make several clutch rebounds at the end of a game. I wish he was in to try it. Our guys looked like volleyball players when we needed a stop.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom