Ollie and player progression | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie and player progression

Reaction Score
I don't know. I've seen AB make several clutch rebounds at the end of a game. I wish he was in to try it. Our guys looked like volleyball players when we needed a stop.

These weren't regular rebounds though they were skirmishes. AB was never a good skirmish guy - on the one Peak scored on he pulled Vital backwards to get it, no call. There was some physical stuff going on down the stretch and they were more so than our guys.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I hope I have to eat my words next year, but I have serious concerns about a rotation of Enoch, Durham, Diarra, and Carlton being able to play consistently on defense. I think offensively we'll look worlds better with those guys. But hopefully Enoch and Durham can develop enough where they'll change my mind going into next season

How about adding this guy? If this quote is even half true it would be worth having him.

I'm looking ahead and hoping we get this guy. I think we play best with a rim protecting shot blocker and the comments on this guy, who admittedly is a project (what big isn't) are that he has good strength, bb IQ, rebounds and has good lateral quickness. He also looks a little more physically solid than Durham and Larrier as well. Adding to the problem is Diarra's knees which is a concern. Input anyone?

Reaction Score
Sorry.
Chiekh Mbacke Diong (we offered scholarship) 6-10 center.

Playing against a bunch of 5'11-6' kids you really can't tell. Again, don't need another one but if "smarter" why not?

Reaction Score
Adams is old for his grade and has a below average offensive rating if you discount the Chaminade game. Leaving isn't a realistic option for him (thank god).

Reaction Score
Sorry.
Chiekh Mbacke Diong (we offered scholarship) 6-10 center.

quotes under Verbal Commits
Seems intriguing from the little bit I've read about him this morning. Sounds like the typical UConn C that we've been recruiting too

Although I think if it were up to me I'd try and bring in an experienced grad transfer big for a year and go hard after one of the 2018 bigs who's less of a project

Reaction Score
I well realize that comparing the men's and women's is like comparing apple and oranges, but there's one aspect I've especially noticed this year. When Geno subs for a player, she almost always sits next to a coach who talks to her. When KO subs, the player sits anywhere along the bench, typically with zero coaching contact. Seems like an especially good moment, or opportunity lost, to teach/coach players, especially young players after a mistake.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This entire post is peak Chief.

What are you even talking about?
It's like Diaco if he were a basketball analyst. Not quite Skip-Bayless level #analysis, but getting close.

Reaction Score
My biggest concern is Adams leaving after this season. Disagree with those who say he isn't ready. A little more progression and his NBA stock will soar. At 6'3" he is big enough, his defense is decent and as the announcer said yesterday, he was the best player on the floor. He is probably a second rounder right now and trending for the first round.

Reaction Score
My biggest concern is Adams leaving after this season. Disagree with those who say he isn't ready. A little more progression and his NBA stock will soar. At 6'3" he is big enough, his defense is decent and as the announcer said yesterday, he was the best player on the floor. He is probably a second rounder right now and trending for the first round.
I think right now he'd probably be taken right around where Juwan Evans is projected as a borderline 1st rounder/early 2nd

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Agreed
AB sitting for extended periods is what hurts this team the most - especially with the numbers UConn has now
I am sure you are right in some cases. Brimah sat early. Didn't the team really take off from that? I thought we B***hed slapped them when he sat. Now that I think of it. I am not say Brimah is not an asset. I thought when he sat it didn't scare the rest of the guys.

Reaction Score
I am sure you are right in some cases. Brimah sat early. Didn't the team really take off from that? I thought we B***hed slapped them when he sat. Now that I think of it. I am not say Brimah is not an asset. I thought when he sat it didn't scare the rest of the guys.

AB and RP were both out for a while during that stretch. Vance and CV played the best i've seen them for that stretch...fwiw.

Reaction Score
I think right now he'd probably be taken right around where Juwan Evans is projected as a borderline 1st rounder/early 2nd
I think Adams comes back regardless (unless we make a miracle final 4 run).....Next year he would probably be pre-season AAC player of year & a All-American/Wooden top 10 candidate. He would have the chance to bolster his stock to a lottery position as well.

He is older so maybe he thinks about it, but next year depending on how the team performs he could really shine on national stage.

Reaction Score
I think Adams comes back regardless (unless we make a miracle final 4 run).....Next year he would probably be pre-season AAC player of year & a All-American/Wooden top 10 candidate. He would have the chance to bolster his stock to a lottery position as well.

He is older so maybe he thinks about it, but next year depending on how the team performs he could really shine on national stage.
And perhaps a chance to get his jersey up on the wall. Unless August picks him as preseason POY

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
These weren't regular rebounds though they were skirmishes. AB was never a good skirmish guy - on the one Peak scored on he pulled Vital backwards to get it, no call. There was some physical stuff going on down the stretch and they were more so than our guys.

St. Joe's for one but there have been a few gritty rebounds at the end of games this year too. I think we would of won if he didn't foul out.

Reaction Score

I hope he ultimately comes back but I'd almost guarantee he declares for the draft after this year to at least test the waters. No downside to doing that, and that's what scares me. Because some NBA teams could make him a 1st round promise and who knows what happens

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Brimah played seven minutes. He was out when we sucked too

Reaction Score
I have seen improvement in probably every player, the with the exception being Durham. Not really sure what he adds to the team at this point. Maybe a warm body and a good scrimmage player.
Big men often take longer to develop
Coming off recent injuries to both ACLs
Even in this depleted lineup, he is averaging 8.3 minutes per game, and has played double digit minutes four times (25 vs Chaminade, 15 vs Cuse, 11 vs UH, 12 vs Memphis). We simply haven't seen enough of him to establish his current baseline, let alone plot out a course of progression.

Reaction Score
Agreed that some players you just cant get through to, so I dont completely blame Ollie for that. I guess I do blame them (him and his staff) because they have to be able to see the future...
I get what you're saying but man, does this post lack context. Remember that this is the class he signed 1) as an interim head coach, 2) as we were falling out of the Big East & missing out on the ACC, 3) with reduced scholarship allotments, 4) while under recruiting sanctions, and 5) as a first-time head coach replacing a hall of famer. The fact that we got as much value out of this class as we did is actually kind of amazing.

And I'd point out that the improvement curve of our kids from 2015 & 2016 seems to more pronounced than what we saw from the 2013 group.

Reaction Score
I hope he ultimately comes back but I'd almost guarantee he declares for the draft after this year to at least test the waters. No downside to doing that, and that's what scares me. Because some NBA teams could make him a 1st round promise and who knows what happens
True....ultimately it's a tough call for JA if an NBA team indicates he would be a 1st round pick (guaranteed $). JA has a chance next year to have a Kemba/Napier type year but I would imagine he will test the waters.

As much as I want him back I would respect any choice he makes....it's his window for making $ not mine.

Reaction Score
I suspect Jalen will wait to go to the next level. I never had the same feeling about dham or others.

NBA teams are more willing to wait for an older on guards than big guys.

He won't be drafted because of his weak left hand, both dribbling and shooting. Teams are loving his assists right now, but not the turnovers (he is getting better though). Also his control of the game is improving every day.

Definitely a product of ollies coaching!!

Reaction Score
He's not in any 2017 or even 2018 mocks or like someone said on Draft Express' top 100 prospects.

He will probably try and get a combine invite, I would say if that happens then who knows and if he doesn't that should be a clear indication he shouldn't go yet.

Also, Brimah is not in any mocks anymore, he was late 2nd round in one earlier.

True....ultimately it's a tough call for JA if an NBA team indicates he would be a 1st round pick (guaranteed $). JA has a chance next year to have a Kemba/Napier type year but I would imagine he will test the waters.

As much as I want him back I would respect any choice he makes....it's his window for making $ not mine.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
VJ played 36 minutes and got 1 rebound, SE played 27 minutes and got 1 rebound, c'mon man! Jackson I'll give a little break because he is out on the wing. But if you're a 6'11" post player and you play 27 minutes of basketball it should be impossible not to get at least 2 rebounds. I can't figure out why KO is not playing Durham more. Is it limited minutes because of the knees? He seems to be moving around well enough. He got 3 rebounds in 8 minutes. IMO the Huskies looked tired in the second half. Playing 7 guys will do that. Finally, Rodney's 2nd half line. FG 1-5(he made a dunk), 3pt. 0-1, TO's 2, fouls 3, rebs. 2, assts. 0. When he is playing ok UConn will win but when bad Rodney shows up watch out.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think Jalen has a long way to go and don't see him leaving anytime soon. Just thinking that Bazz and Boat were four year
players and thinking where he stacks up with them at this point puts it in perspective. I think he is more of a two guard
at this point and while having good vision he lacks the left hand and has neither the speed of either Boat or Bazz. He is no where
near the proficiency level of them defensively or shooting. He is 6-3 but I think he needs a lot of work. None of our guards I can think
of were ready to go at the end of their second year. He penetrates well but how well he can do that at against quality opponents in college
on a consistent basis let alone the NBA remains to be seen. I really hopes he stays and takes on a Kemba " 10 toes in" attitude for next year
and perhaps the year after. He still needs to mature.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom