Olivia Nelson-Ododa (COVID Year) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Olivia Nelson-Ododa (COVID Year)

Reaction Score
"she gets her assists because she has to pass rather than shoot when she's under the hoop"

I don't think so............she get's most of her assists from the foul line out because that's where she's positioned in Geno's offense.......have you not been watching games this season?
You may be right about where the majority of her assists come from. If Geno is positioning his 6’5” player who is mostly being guarded by midgets out by the foul line, he knows what I know.

Reaction Score
With all the criticism ONO receives, why would she stay another year? As many will likely realize next year, 6'5" centers that can block shots and pass are a rare commodity. Since you don't value ONO's skills, would you be ok if she used her Covid year at Villanova, Creighton, or DePaul?:)
You make a great point about ONO using her extra year at another school. I always put education first. She must be a good student because Econ requires calc, quant, and stats. She could get an MBA for free at a quality school, such as Princeton, Yale, Tulane, Vandy, take your pick.

No guarantees in the WNBA. At some point everyone gets told they can't play anymore. You have to be ready for that day.

Reaction Score
You may be right about where the majority of her assists come from. If Geno is positioning his 6’5” player who is mostly being guarded by midgets out by the foul line, he knows what I know.
have you watched any South Carolina games this season? I guess their center is also lacking because she spends much of her time away from the basket too......

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
ONO is a great defensive player and a real good passer with a pretty good shooting skills from the foul line area. That said she is very limited on offense and is having difficulty with scoring around the basket as she's got no moves there and what she didn't learn in 4 years, will not happen in 1 more year. She contribute greatly to this UConn team but it's time to move on for next season with giving minutes to players like Brady, Amari and PG and see how they develop.
In the WNBA they will teach Ono a jump hook and how to set up closer to the basket so all she has to do is turn and shoot. Things she should have been taught to use at UConn. I have never seen her attempt a jump hook. If some other team had Ono and her offensive skills were no better than hers is now, there are some Byers who would blame her coaches and say she should have come to UConn.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
ONO is constantly being scored over. She doesn't act as the stopper in the lane. Will it get worse next year? Perhaps. But let's look around at the premier posts in the game and we see them steering their teams to top rankings: Cunane, Boston, Brink, not to mention Amihere and Cardoso coming off the bench with South Carolina.

Can we win the NC with ONO? I hope so. But we know what a great post player, and a great front court looks like at Connecticut: multiple NC's with Charles and Stewart and Lobo. This ain't it.
Where has UConn been ranked during Ono's four years? How many FF has Cardoso, Cunane, and Brink played in? You are talking about SC, Stanford, and NC State. I believe UConn has been ranked right up there with all of them while Ono has been playing. You should not make up stuff to try to make your point.

Reaction Score
Where has UConn been ranked during Ono's four years? How many FF has Cardoso, Cunane, and Brink played in? You are talking about SC, Stanford, and NC State. I believe UConn has been ranked right up there with all of them while Ono has been playing. You should not make up stuff to try to make your point.
just because she leads the team in assists, rebounds and blocked shots doesn't mean much these days.......

Reaction Score
In the WNBA they will teach Ono a jump hook and how to set up closer to the basket so all she has to do is turn and shoot. Things she should have been taught to use at UConn. I have never seen her attempt a jump hook. If some other team had Ono and her offensive skills were no better than hers is now, there are some Byers who would blame her coaches and say she should have come to UConn.
Ono always brings the ball down when shooting in the low post. Either you have a skill set or you don't when you get to the WNBA. Most teams want a player ready and not waste a draft pick pick.

Reaction Score
I feel the same way. I think next season there will be a lot of growing pains. CW and ONO have been the anchors in this lineup for the last few years, and next season Geno will not have the luxury of bringing in someone like Evina off the bench. This senior class has been criticized more than others in my opinion, but make no mistake, in two weeks a big part of this team is leaving. The next time you see any of them at Gampel it will be as spectators.
Why isn’t there a sad option that isn’t angry or shocked?

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score

Aaagh! Jeez.

The reason Geno has her at the high post is because she is awful down low. Absolutely no footwork and her one move to the rim is from right to left where she is expecting to make a layup: that move usually (80% of the time) results in a walk or a missed bunny. Simple as that. She will never play high post in the WNBA - too slow of foot and very poor recognition of options.

As far as her interior defense goes: much smaller players eat her lunch. yeah, she gets the occasional block; but, here again her footwork lets her down; her reaction time is abysmal.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Ono always brings the ball down when shooting in the low post. Either you have a skill set or you don't when you get to the WNBA. Most teams want a player ready and not waste a draft pick pick.
You must not have followed Mercedes Russell's career. She has learned a lot since she has been in the WNBA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom