Olivia Nelson-Ododa (COVID Year) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Olivia Nelson-Ododa (COVID Year)

Reaction Score
4 years are enough. Go earn some money. Half the fun of college hoops is seeing the new blood come in and grow. This is the year that the seniors called “unfinished business”. Go out and finish it and leave a champion. No do-overs.

Reaction Score
Great players leave every year after their senior season at UConn. Great players emerge te next year. This year the best players are already there with more to come. Let them shine and May the seniirs have much Sucre’s in their future endeavors. I think all 3 will be drafted by the wnba.

Reaction Score
you know the expression "you don't know what you had until it's gone"? ONO is not only the assist leader on the team, she's the defensive stopper that prevents drives through the lane..........check with me ten games in next season and let me know if you've had a change of heart.......

ONO is constantly being scored over. She doesn't act as the stopper in the lane. Will it get worse next year? Perhaps. But let's look around at the premier posts in the game and we see them steering their teams to top rankings: Cunane, Boston, Brink, not to mention Amihere and Cardoso coming off the bench with South Carolina.

Can we win the NC with ONO? I hope so. But we know what a great post player, and a great front court looks like at Connecticut: multiple NC's with Charles and Stewart and Lobo. This ain't it.

Reaction Score
I agree. Honestly, I feel Liv was underdeveloped at UConn--I don't know why, what or who caused it, maybe a combination of things but she has vast untapped potential...
I've always thought it was because she was a 4 converted to be a 5. I think she can be a Shakira Austin. That's why Shakira left MD. She was a 4 and they wanted/needed her to play the 5.

Reaction Score
4 years are enough. Go earn some money. Half the fun of college hoops is seeing the new blood come in and grow. This is the year that the seniors called “unfinished business”. Go out and finish it and leave a champion. No do-overs.
I concur that 4 years are enough, but don’t tell it to Indiana’s Ali Patberg. She was a highly rated high school senior in 2015. She lost a year to a knee injury and sat out another year due to the transfer rules. She transferred out from Notre Dame so her chances at getting a waiver were slim and none. As I recall UConn tried to recruit her when she was in high school.

Reaction Score
ONO is constantly being scored over. She doesn't act as the stopper in the lane. Will it get worse next year? Perhaps. But let's look around at the premier posts in the game and we see them steering their teams to top rankings: Cunane, Boston, Brink, not to mention Amihere and Cardoso coming off the bench with South Carolina.

Can we win the NC with ONO? I hope so. But we know what a great post player, and a great front court looks like at Connecticut: multiple NC's with Charles and Stewart and Lobo. This ain't it.

Funny cause Liv was the only bright spot in the SC and Oregon game. But keep disrespecting her

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think it's in ONO's best interest to leave at this point unless she wants one last push to win a title if UCONN doesn't win it this year. Her stock has likely gone up a lot this year, as she's shown she can produce against other bigs and is a very good defender and passer. She also has the best length and athleticism of any post prospect besides Austin. Needs to add more muscle and improve her midrange/perimeter shot, but she has the tools to make a roster.

If she stays at UCONN, I don't see ONO's role expanding since the offense likely revolves around Bueckers/Fudd/Ducharme. It's also a much deeper draft class next year assuming most of the standouts from the 2019 HS class opt for the WNBA. She's good enough to make a roster now and contribute as a defensive backup, while getting reps against other bigs her size and get a year of overseas play under her belt. If she waits a year, I think she has a greater risk of not making a roster at all.

Reaction Score
I don’t know how the scholarships are divided with the COVID year and this may be wishful thinking

But I think Liv should stay at Uconn for another year. Plus we could use her next year

Hopefully she feels the same way.
Well I like Liv… but I’d rather take my chance with the incoming freshman and what’s on our bench.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Won 3 in a row with Jessica Moore.

Reaction Score
I want her to move on cus she will make the W and has a career in modeling but if she wants to stay can’t argue with that as long as she works on everything she lacks. Stronger. Those UCF bigs was pushing her out the lane where she’ll be off balance to travel or throw up a bad shot.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I realize I participated in this thread, but it's still probably one of the dumbest threads we've had in awhile.

Arguing over something that has a less than 0% chance of happening. Last night was her last game at Gampel.

Reaction Score
I love all the players on this team, they seem like great kids and I hope the seniors go on and do great things in whatever they choose. However, if ONO leaves because she wants to pursue the WNBA I’m really sorry but I just don’t see it lasting long. She would be eaten alive in the post in the league. (I hope I’m wrong)
With all the criticism ONO receives, why would she stay another year? As many will likely realize next year, 6'5" centers that can block shots and pass are a rare commodity. Since you don't value ONO's skills, would you be ok if she used her Covid year at Villanova, Creighton, or DePaul?:)

Reaction Score
I agree. Honestly, I feel Liv was underdeveloped at UConn--I don't know why, what or who caused it, maybe a combination of things but she has vast untapped potential...
I think mostly due to her having to play the 5 position when she arrived here because she was the only legit size we had. Liv coming in had a well versed game that would’ve been able to flourish if at any point during her years here Geno would’ve gotten a legitimate center. Nonetheless I still think her overall growth and development as a player is not to be overlooked think about freshman Liv to now and it’s night and day.

Reaction Score
With all the criticism ONO receives, why would she stay another year? As many will likely realize next year, 6'5" centers that can block shots and pass are a rare commodity. Since you don't value ONO's skills, would you be ok if she used her Covid year at Villanova, Creighton, or DePaul?:)
I’m thinking Butler.
Liv could a LOT more on offense if our guards could make a proper entry pass, eh?
Have we gone over the cliff. There is nothing wrong with the passes to her as you well know. The problem is and has always been her inability to make moves to the hoop and score. She towers over her defenders in most games but she has just about no ability to turn and convert. Her points, as little as they are, come from the outside. She gets assists because she has to pass rather than shoot when she’s under the hoop.

Great shot blocker plays solid defense. But a 6’5” center with the ball in the paint and can’t score?? NEXT!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Have we gone over the cliff. There is nothing wrong with the passes to her as you well know. The problem is and has always been her inability to make moves to the hoop and score. She towers over her defenders in most games but she has just about no ability to turn and convert. Her points, as little as they are, come from the outside. She gets assists because she has to pass rather than shoot when she’s under the hoop.

Great shot blocker plays solid defense. But a 6’5” center with the ball in the paint and can’t score?? NEXT!
I agree with what you have said about Liv's deficiency in scoring (and not traveling or fouling) when she gets the ball in the low post. However, I would point out that (per Geno) she herself does not want to play in the low post on offense. That is why she was very happy to get Aaliyah as a teammate so that she could play at the high post (where she wants to be) and facilitate the offense from there. Now that she has a decent shot from that distance, she is very effective within the offense when she does that.

I think that she could be very valuable to a WNBA team as a backup 5 or starting 4, operating primarily from the high post or the elbow on offense. As you have stated, her defense and rebounding are solid, certainly as good as anyone else in this year's WNBA draft, and her passing skills are good also. I see her as a late first round or second round draft choice in a few weeks.

But I don't think it's in her best interest to hang around in Storrs for another year.

Reaction Score
I’m thinking Butler.

"she gets her assists because she has to pass rather than shoot when she's under the hoop"

I don't think so............she get's most of her assists from the foul line out because that's where she's positioned in Geno's offense.......have you not been watching games this season?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom