Olivia Miles to Irish | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Olivia Miles to Irish

Reaction Score
recruiting, transfers, coaching changes has been exciting through this pandemic

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If the right position,in a warm climate,(both she and her husband play golf whenever possible),came along at the right salary,look for Muffit to get back into coaching.If the U.of Florida for instance was to get serious about wcbb and made Muffit the right offer i think she would bolt from Indiana. At the age of 64 she is still young enough to give coaching another fling.Also,i think her competitive nature wants her to be in the rarified air of a 1,000 win coach. After maybe a year away from coaching,the competitive juices may ratchet up to a very high level.
NO WAY, NO HOW. I just don't see her ever coaching again. She does not come across like the "hired guns" of Pitino, Calipari, Harrick etc. Plus, I do believe she bleeds Irish Green and will be like Jody Conradt, always in the background supporting the team.

Reaction Score
If the right position,in a warm climate,(both she and her husband play golf whenever possible),came along at the right salary,look for Muffit to get back into coaching.If the U.of Florida for instance was to get serious about wcbb and made Muffit the right offer i think she would bolt from Indiana. At the age of 64 she is still young enough to give coaching another fling.Also,i think her competitive nature wants her to be in the rarified air of a 1,000 win coach. After maybe a year away from coaching,the competitive juices may ratchet up to a very high level.
What makes you think she wants a warm climate?

Reaction Score
ND won't be scary again until Ivey proves she can coach.

Agree. Could be another Karen Aston. Can pull in the talent but not sure how to coach them.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Great golfing area.... Better than anything in Indiana..... better than golfing in Florida....... warm enough......... 2021 she could jump right in and turn around a once proud program........ great BBQ and sweet tea anytime she wants..... even at 3am.....

Pinehurst Golf & Spa

Reaction Score
Good pick up for them. With Paige and Nika coming, she was never going to be a focus for UConn..I do have my eye on Kiki Rice in 22' though.

Reaction Score
Great golfing area.... Better than anything in Indiana..... better than golfing in Florida....... warm enough......... 2021 she could jump right in and turn around a once proud program........ great BBQ and sweet tea anytime she wants..... even at 3am.....

Pinehurst Golf & Spa

Never going to happen... that would be like Brady leaving the Patriots and going South, nah, can't happen.... :p

Reaction Score
Jay Leno was very open about him not being in touch with younger people (facebook/twitter) when he stepped aside for Jimmy Fallon. Older coach Muffit. Younger coach better recruiter?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Notre Dame...new coach...Niele Ivy

1. Surely kids will transfer...nope...check
2. Can she recruit when its her responsibility...check
3. Can she prepare a game plan...did it for years...check

4. Can she coach? We'll have to see...but I have an opinion...

Reaction Score
I don’t see why she couldn’t coach if she keeps the exact same staff. They’ve had the same staff for years

Reaction Score
Notre Dame...new coach...Niele Ivy

1. Surely kids will transfer...nope...check
2. Can she recruit when its her responsibility...check
3. Can she prepare a game plan...did it for years...check

4. Can she coach? We'll have to see...but I have an opinion...

Miles to ND right after Muffett retires and Ivey gets the job is no surprise. I’ve been commenting in other BY threads about this for the past year. With Muffett at the helm ND was a train wreck. Watch out for the Irish now though, Ivey was the reason for the past years of success at ND and now that she’s calling the shots the Irish will become a force again.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yes, agreed. The timing is too coincidental.

I think there are two strong possibilities here. Either she had already wanted to commit but Muffet told her to wait since she knew she was stepping down soon. Or she was on the fence but feels a strong connection to Ivey so Niele taking the head coach job sealed the deal.

I would love to think Ivey just blew Miles away with the Zoom call of a lifetime and turned a wide-open race into a commitment, but that's not realistic. She's good but not that good.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Miles to ND right after Muffett retires and Ivey gets the job is no surprise. I’ve been commenting in other BY threads about this for the past year. With Muffett at the helm ND was a train wreck. Watch out for the Irish now though, Ivey was the reason for the past years of success at ND and now that she’s calling the shots the Irish will become a force again.

My often articulated view as well.

Reaction Score
Good start recruiting for Ivey but still only one player. Shows the current level of this team that one recruit would get this much publicity. Was a ND lean even before Muffet's exit.

Reaction Score
Not all years are fun for coaches. Some teams just push all the wrong buttons and make it extremely frustrating for coaches. That can result in loss of recruits when they see that tension. Happened to Geno a few years back. He saw the problem at least outwardly. Muffett was going through that stage and likely decided enough was enough. Both reactions can take a huge monkey off your back. I wish her well and will miss the rivalry.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think there are two strong possibilities here. Either she had already wanted to commit but Muffet told her to wait since she knew she was stepping down soon. Or she was on the fence but feels a strong connection to Ivey so Niele taking the head coach job sealed the deal.

I would love to think Ivey just blew Miles away with the Zoom call of a lifetime and turned a wide-open race into a commitment, but that's not realistic. She's good but not that good.
That's how I see it.

Reaction Score
I think she had already committed but asked to wait to announce. There were some commenting that MM said about the 2021 recruiting that makes me think that

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think she had already committed but asked to wait to announce. There were some commenting that MM said about the 2021 recruiting that makes me think that

Of course that's what happened. Announce the commitment after the Muffet and Niele news in order to give Niele some big recruiting news right out of the gate. PR 101.

Reaction Score

Agree....there was likely some thought put to this by the past and present coaches.....Dare I say somewhat of a conspiracy?

Reaction Score
Of course that's what happened. Announce the commitment after the Muffet and Niele news in order to give Niele some big recruiting news right out of the gate. PR 101.

I really think you all do not have a good feel for the past couple years recruits and ND recruiting among younger players. I’m telling you 100% Miles was in the fence with ND and Muffett’s personality was likely the roadblock. No way they told Miles the news of Ivey coming back and asked her to “wait” to announce. You don’t do that to recruits. Miles got to know Ivey almost exclusively through the recruiting process because Muffett was barely involved. Once Ivey got the job one “great zoom call” wasn’t needed cause Ivey had been doing it from the beginning with Miles.

Reaction Score
I really think you all do not have a good feel for the past couple years recruits and ND recruiting among younger players. I’m telling you 100% Miles was in the fence with ND and Muffett’s personality was likely the roadblock. No way they told Miles the news of Ivey coming back and asked her to “wait” to announce. You don’t do that to recruits. Miles got to know Ivey almost exclusively through the recruiting process because Muffett was barely involved. Once Ivey got the job one “great zoom call” wasn’t needed cause Ivey had been doing it from the beginning with Miles.

I don't think what you'r;e saying is accurate. You're saying the kid wouldn't commit to a HOF coach that had Ivey as the assistant but would commit to Ivey? Notre Dame was in the finals the last 2 of 3 years and the kid is holing out to play for MM but jumps to play for Ivey with even less regard for Notre Dame overall? I think you're making it up and reading into things you want to believe. These kids top goal is pro ball. The coach just took her team to the finals 2 of the past 3 years-- that's a hot commodity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom