Olivia in the World of WCBB Bigs | The Boneyard

Olivia in the World of WCBB Bigs

Reaction Score
I'm rolling out the hyperbole and predicting that Olivia will end her career as possibly the best big ever to play WCBB. She's a way more accomplished shooter than Brittney Griner, she's more mobile and handles the ball a lot better than Ruth Riley, she runs the floor better than ANY big I've seen in WCBB. She's not in the pantheon of great shot blockers - yet. I think she ultimately will be one of the best shot blockers ever if not THE best before it's all over.

She's not as strong as Megan Gustafson or Teaira McCowan. Yet. Give her three more years in the weight room and at the training table for meals and then let's re-evaluate.

The only player she may not surpass is Stewie but I wouldn't bet against it. She's so young she may grow a few more inches and she's much more fluid than Stewie was as a first year player.

She reminds me a lot of Tina Charles. Tina went from a shrinking violet freshman at UConn to The Beast of the East in the WNBA in six or seven years. Keep your eye on number 20!

Thoughts?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Funny you should mention Stewie. I was thinking that while Liv’s offensive game doesn’t compare to Stewie’s yet, she is similar in her athleticism. Liv’s ability to run the court, her ability to elevate and her rebounding and shot blocking range all remind me of Ms Stewart. One other similarity, both Stewie and Liv came to UConn on the lean side and got bounced around quite a lot as freshmen. Liv will be a much stronger version of herself next year.

The best thing about Liv, is that we will all be able to watch her remarkable development for 3 more seasons at UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Too much hyperbole for me. Griner and Riley were POY. College basketball has not seen a player as mobile as Stewie was, even as a Freshmen. Tina was no shrinking violet, even as a Freshmen. Liv is having a very good season and improving quickly. She has a long way to go before we can even start this conversation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Too much hyperbole for me. Griner and Riley were POY. College basketball has not seen a player as mobile as Stewie was, even as a Freshmen. Tina was no shrinking violet, even as a Freshmen. Liv is having a very good season and improving quickly. She has a long way to go before we can even start this conversation.
The Voice of Reason. :(

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm rolling out the hyperbole and predicting that Olivia will end her career as possibly the best big ever to play WCBB. She's a way more accomplished shooter than Brittney Griner, she's more mobile and handles the ball a lot better than Ruth Riley, she runs the floor better than ANY big I've seen in WCBB. She's not in the pantheon of great shot blockers - yet. I think she ultimately will be one of the best shot blockers ever if not THE best before it's all over.

She's not as strong as Megan Gustafson or Teaira McCowan. Yet. Give her three more years in the weight room and at the training table for meals and then let's re-evaluate.

The only player she may not surpass is Stewie but I wouldn't bet against it. She's so young she may grow a few more inches and she's much more fluid than Stewie was as a first year player.

She reminds me a lot of Tina Charles. Tina went from a shrinking violet freshman at UConn to The Beast of the East in the WNBA in six or seven years. Keep your eye on number 20!

Thoughts?
I agree with the hyperbole part. :cool:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Like everyone else, I think it's way too early to compare her to Griner, Gustafson, McCowan, and Stewie -- especially Gustafson and Stewie.

HOWEVER, the hustle I see from her as a freshman, and I'd argue that you didn't/don't see in Griner and McCowan. I was amazed when I was watching the MSST game last night that the rest of the offense would be set up and then here comes McCowan, taking her sweet time getting down the court, and I recall a similar lack of hustle from Griner during her time at Baylor (but I will admit her game has grown a lot since she's left college).

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Funny you should mention Stewie. I was thinking that while Liv’s offensive game doesn’t compare to Stewie’s yet, she is similar in her athleticism. Liv’s ability to run the court, her ability to elevate and her rebounding and shot blocking range all remind me of Ms Stewart. One other similarity, both Stewie and Liv came to UConn on the lean side and got bounced around quite a lot as freshmen. Liv will be a much stronger version of herself next year.

The best thing about Liv, is that we will all be able to watch her remarkable development for 3 more seasons at UConn.

I think Olivia is making some very good strides in her frosh year, but -- as Coco points out -- let's take a look at next year when she'll presumably have both a lot of playing time and be the focus of another team's defensive strategy.

Speaking of strides. One of the advantages of yesterday was that I kept the television on one channel and got to see a bunch of players from different teams.
Now I'm writing this as a WCBB observer/fan, not an ND one, so take it in stride (I happen to think it's a compliment).

O N-O gets up and down the court in a colt-like fashion. In some ways, she reminds me a bit of a young(er) Brianna Turner, who has always liked to run. Turner is often cited for what she does not have (scoring ability outside of, say, 5 feet), but what she does bring is something O N-O has the tools for: running and jumping ability; rebounding, blocking shots and a very good touch within that 5-ft. area. (And Olivia has better shooting range....)

Coco: I know we were lamenting how the injuries were taking a toll on Bri earlier in the season. Something happened around the Miami game. It's like the weights were taken off her. Yesterday, after a few touch passes from Shep and Mabrey, she was extending herself down the court like a 200-yard runner. Easy and unrestricted movement. Great to see.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Olivia is making some very good strides in her frosh year, but -- as Coco points out -- let's take a look at next year when she'll presumably have both a lot of playing time and be the focus of another team's defensive strategy.

Speaking of strides. One of the advantages of yesterday was that I kept the television on one channel and got to see a bunch of players from different teams.
Now I'm writing this as a WCBB observer/fan, not an ND one, so take it in stride (I happen to think it's a compliment).

O N-O gets up and down the court in a colt-like fashion. In some ways, she reminds me a bit of a young(er) Brianna Turner, who has always liked to run. Turner is often cited for what she does not have (scoring ability outside of, say, 5 feet), but what she does bring is something O N-O has the tools for: running and jumping ability; rebounding, blocking shots and a very good touch within that 5-ft. area. (And Olivia has better shooting range....)

Coco: I know we were lamenting how the injuries were taking a toll on Bri earlier in the season. Something happened around the Miami game. It's like the weights were taken off her. Yesterday, after a few touch passes from Shep and Mabrey, she was extending herself down the court like a 200-yard runner. Easy and unrestricted movement. Great to see.
I did notice that Bri was moving much better in the last few ND games most noticeable was the couple of Jewelloops that she had while connecting with Mabrey in transition.
ONO's movement is what distinguished her early in the class as pointed out by @Sluconn Husky back in the day. Improved strength (upper and lower body) will revolutionize her game. BTW the players that reminds me most of a younger Bri is not ONO so much as Austin playing down at Maryland.

Reaction Score
Between now and the end of the season I'm expecting a LOT more passing and assists by Olivia from the high post. She's done a little of it so far and you can practically hear Geno and Chris drooling. She can hold the ball so high she can almost pass from out there with impunity, but if an opposing big comes out to challenge, she can drive.

I am so sad to see Pheesa and Katie Lou move on, but the prospect of watching Christyn and Olivia develop their upsides over three more years goes a long way toward easing the pain.

Reaction Score
With Collier moving on, ONO is transitioning in as my next favorite to watch for several reasons. Her springy, jinglejoints athleticism, her intelligence, and especially her motor. I haven't seen her take a play off yet, always moving and running the floor. She already knows that offense well and she is talking from the back of the defense. Not many freshmen do that. Because of her size her impact on a game can be huge and IMO she'll be the most impactful big in the league over the next 3 years and at least top ten nationally. If and when she learns a quick turnaround jumper and a jump hook with both hands, her offensive upside will be tremendous because of how hard she works for position. Really looking forward to watching her progression.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Charles, Stewart, Lobo, Jones, Dolson and those are just the UConn bigs. ONO has a looooong way to go. Right now she is not yet Stokes "light."

She has made lots of progress, but she is not in the same zip code as players like Charles and Stewart. She is still not strong enough in the paint unable to move her defender and she doesn't get good position on offense.

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

Who's this Liv? I thought Kiah Stokes had used up her eligibility but that was her out there, right?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Charles, Stewart, Lobo, Jones, Dolson and those are just the UConn bigs. ONO has a looooong way to go. Right now she is not yet Stokes "light."

AT THIS POINT... a budding Kelly Schumacher, maybe? Her ceiling may be higher than Kelly's (who went on to a respectable pro career) but it's WAY too early to say right now.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Liv is much better as a freshman than Stokes. Kiah only started to become an effective post during the second half of her junior season.

Reaction Score

Thoughts?
Great to see all the adoration for Liv now....as some of us said earlier this year, all she needed was floor time. She’s always had the skills, and unlike some other bigs who got plenty of noteriety over the last couple of years, but were very limited ( yes, could rebound, but essentially could only use one hand, and whose range was limited), Liv’s already shown she is good going right or left. Think, next year, when we need her scoring, Geno and crew will let her offense blossom. I too, expect much, and look forward to her journey

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Thoughts?
Tina was the USBWA National Freshman of the Year. Hardly a shrinking violet

Let’s not get carried away

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Who's this Liv? I thought Kiah Stokes had used up her eligibility but that was her out there, right?

Kiah had a much stronger/sturdier body type right out of high school. Check out the shoulders/arms in the pic. Liv can work toward this, but the genes are the genes (for now at least :confused:).

1552320611700.png

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Let her be the best Liv she can be. Stewart is in the discussion as the best female hoopster ever. Ever. Charles is up there among centers. ONO doesn’t finish nearly strongly enough near the hoop. Stewart could shoot from everywhere and make her foul shots from day one. It’s just nice to see Liv progress. I hope we get to see her improve against some good inside players.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
We have seen glimpses and 2 good games in a row is encouraging but Liv is still a freshman and we would be fooling ourselves if we think it is clear sailing and a steady 'up' curve. Everyone thought CW would be an AA after ND but Freshman are very inconsistent in general.

There will be plenty of up's and down's for Liv as Geno pushes her for consistency.

To be honest, I think she can hold her own against the general post player but with some of the elite giants, it will be a major struggle and Geno will have to do alot of scheming to help her.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Many others have commented on the hyperbole. My contribution is more of a question. If we are talking about pure centers, isn't Leslie the standard? That's a genuine question, I don't know enough to say for certain.

The hodge podge of names tossed out for best big run the gamut from pure centers to versatile tall people. Leslie is probably the standard for pure centers; Stewart and Parker are probably the standard for versatile tall people. If best big means most versatile tall person, I don't think ONO will beat out Stewart. If best big means best pure center, I suppose ONO could beat out Leslie, but I'm not qualified to guess. If it means a cross between the two then the answer is whatever you want it to be, just as the best cross is whatever you want it to be.

As for UConn, the most versatile tall person was Stewart, there probably would not be much argument with that. The best offensive pure center was Wolters, I'm surprised she hasn't even been mentioned. The best overall was Charles, though how "pure" she is as a center is debatable. Charles would actually be my pick for best UConn cross between pure center and versatile tall person, while Dolson would be my pick for best UConn pure center.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Asked Sunday about Olivia Nelson-Ododa, UConn coach Geno Auriemma concluded his analysis by saying, “She’s infuriating.”

Associate head coach Chris Dailey began her take with, “She’s going to be the death of me.”

“I can’t not have her out there, whereas, before when we had Lou, my patience was really thin with her,” Auriemma said. “When she would do something really dumb, I would take her out because I would say, ‘I need to explain to her and show her.’ Now I don’t have the luxury of doing that, so I have to leave her in there. She’s really getting an opportunity to do a lot of things. Believe me, she still makes me shake my head sometimes, but there’s a difference in our team when she’s in the lane.”

Mike Anthony: Olivia Nelson-Ododa might be inside defensive presence Huskies need in NCAA Tournament

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score

Thoughts?

From a great thinker than me:

1552323084950.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer