Olivia in the World of WCBB Bigs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Olivia in the World of WCBB Bigs

Reaction Score
I'm rolling out the hyperbole and predicting that Olivia will end her career as possibly the best big ever to play WCBB. She's a way more accomplished shooter than Brittney Griner, she's more mobile and handles the ball a lot better than Ruth Riley, she runs the floor better than ANY big I've seen in WCBB. She's not in the pantheon of great shot blockers - yet. I think she ultimately will be one of the best shot blockers ever if not THE best before it's all over.

She's not as strong as Megan Gustafson or Teaira McCowan. Yet. Give her three more years in the weight room and at the training table for meals and then let's re-evaluate.

The only player she may not surpass is Stewie but I wouldn't bet against it. She's so young she may grow a few more inches and she's much more fluid than Stewie was as a first year player.

She reminds me a lot of Tina Charles. Tina went from a shrinking violet freshman at UConn to The Beast of the East in the WNBA in six or seven years. Keep your eye on number 20!

Thoughts?
Stewie was a generational player, you are not likely to see another like her for a long time. Being great in BB is a matter of confidence, of knowing that you are going to win no matter what, THAT WAS STEWIE!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that Liv’s development was severely limited by an injury that wiped out her jr yr of HS, subsequent AAU ball and any opportunity to play on national teams. Liv was the top rated sophomore in the nation, who didn’t get back on the basketball court fully until several weeks after her HS started practice during her senior year.

So in my mind, Liv’s tremendous development since the start of this season, under the watchful eyes of “CD the Post Whisperer”, is simply a talented, intelligent and motivated young lady making up for lost time. Personally, I am excited to see what kind of player Liv develops into.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
One of the best things Liv has done is free Pheesa from guarding the 5 and having the 5 guard her. It shows how dominant Pheesa can be when she goes head to head against 4's, which is really her natural position.

JordyG

Reaction Score
The second best thing Liv has done is remain on the floor, making her best ability availability. Staying out of foul trouble really helps her development, helps spread the floor, and allows the others to overplay the passing lanes knowing there's an eraser to clean up their mistakes.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
The second best thing Liv has done is remain on the floor, making her best ability availability. Staying out of foul trouble really helps her development, helps spread the floor, and allows the others to overplay the passing lanes knowing there's an eraser to clean up their mistakes.

Absolutely huge thing for her and the team. I suspect UCF will go at her hard to draw fouls. She needs to be very disciplined to give the refs no excuse to whistle her.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
........BTW the players that reminds me most of a younger Bri is not ONO so much as Austin playing down at Maryland.
I edit the comment to zone in on this, I have had the opportunity to see Shakira Austin in person and yes, she really impressed me also and while I too, immediately thought of Liv, I watched Austin closely and she is not as polished as LIv in offensive moves, nor defensive footwork and switching. She is almost as graceful as Liv running and shows great energy. She too, should be fun to watch over the next few years but Liv is better
With a higher ceiling and when you add in Geno/CD coaching, if she learns half of Pheesa’s moves, she really could approach high exaltedness...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I edit the comment to zone in on this, I have had the opportunity to see Shakira Austin in person and yes, she really impressed me also and while I too, immediately thought of Liv, I watched Austin closely and she is not as polished as LIv in offensive moves, nor defensive footwork and switching. She is almost as graceful as Liv running and shows great energy. She too, should be fun to watch over the next few years but Liv is better
With a higher ceiling and when you add in Geno/CD coaching, if she learns half of Pheesa’s moves, she really could approach high exaltedness...
I saw both in the Jordan Brand game last April. Austin impressed me as the strongest, most aggressive, most college-ready big. But Liv showed lots of finesse, posted strong for 2 hoops and FTs late in the game, and tipped a rebound with a few seconds left, keeping it alive for her teammate to score the winning hoop. Liv's potential was clear.

Reaction Score
I'm rolling out the hyperbole and predicting that Olivia will end her career as possibly the best big ever to play WCBB. She's a way more accomplished shooter than Brittney Griner, she's more mobile and handles the ball a lot better than Ruth Riley, she runs the floor better than ANY big I've seen in WCBB. She's not in the pantheon of great shot blockers - yet. I think she ultimately will be one of the best shot blockers ever if not THE best before it's all over.

She's not as strong as Megan Gustafson or Teaira McCowan. Yet. Give her three more years in the weight room and at the training table for meals and then let's re-evaluate.

The only player she may not surpass is Stewie but I wouldn't bet against it. She's so young she may grow a few more inches and she's much more fluid than Stewie was as a first year player.

She reminds me a lot of Tina Charles. Tina went from a shrinking violet freshman at UConn to The Beast of the East in the WNBA in six or seven years. Keep your eye on number 20!

Thoughts?
...Been watching the "Bigs" in and out since the early 1990ies.... Olivia processes a feature I haven't seen in a long time...She is smooth and fluid/graceful...no bounce /bounce-herkie - jerky here..she does not stumble up and down the floor she glides... I put her frosh year ahead of the "Great One"..Ms Charles..who I could of run out the door in her first year.....What Next....Olivia rock the weight room, grow another inch..extend the vertical....learn a turn around right and left and a short jumper around the foul line and she may become the best big out of UConn...Sure wish that Tina could spend a week or so with her....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There are 3 top posts in this year’s freshman class. Austin & C. Collier are big, strong traditional post players who will both be very good.

I would differentiate Liv based on her athleticism, which sets her apart imo. As she adds muscle and develops her skill set, I think Liv has a greater upside.

Reaction Score

Thoughts?
Order me up some of whatever drink you have when watching UConn games. ;)

Reaction Score
Ditto - spot on with you comments...I, too, watched Austin...in my case, when Muffet was in the house....she’s got Length, but not the skills Liv has....again, expect big things ( no pun intended) from our newest punisher in the paint! To include, a very impressive offensive game....once Geno & crew take off the brakes.

Reaction Score
How will ONO do against Cox and Brown should we run into Baylor again?
I wouldn’t be surprised if she struggled. Not only because of their bulk and experience but because she won’t back down. ONO has guts and she’ll fight for position and try for blocks and because of that she’ll have foul trouble and likely play limited minutes or foul out. But she’ll learn a ton and be a better player much sooner because of the experience. And next year she’ll be a load.

JordyG

Reaction Score
...Been watching the "Bigs" in and out since the early 1990ies.... Olivia processes a feature I haven't seen in a long time...She is smooth and fluid/graceful...no bounce /bounce-herkie - jerky here..she does not stumble up and down the floor she glides... I put her frosh year ahead of the "Great One"..Ms Charles..who I could of run out the door in her first year.....What Next....Olivia rock the weight room, grow another inch..extend the vertical....learn a turn around right and left and a short jumper around the foul line and she may become the best big out of UConn...Sure wish that Tina could spend a week or so with her....
I've seen that Liv spin move left and right with a fair power dribble. What she'll get in time is a good drop step and the ability to power the ball up through traffic and swats. But a short fade away and/or hook would be sweet; yeah, she's graceful (she kinda runs the floor like Pheesa), agile, has a great motor, and is all team baby. She won't stare down after a block like one young lady from Miss. State.

Reaction Score
Kiah had a much stronger/sturdier body type right out of high school. Check out the shoulders/arms in the pic. Liv can work toward this, but the genes are the genes (for now at least :confused:).

View attachment 40793

Stokes was one of the most natural and effortless shot blockers I have seen male or female................her sense of timing was exquisite.......................ONO has much to learn in the shot blocking area which is pretty neat considering where she is right now.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Liv is better "lately". That is definitely because she has spent the last few months with Geno and CD. I define lately to be this calendar year. In the prior calendar year Austin was the better player.

Reaction Score

Thoughts?
In my view, Tina is the model. She transformed herself physically, either sophomore or junior year , and became a super star. ONO has more her body type than the others you mentioned. As Tina is ( or will be ) a hall of fame player, that is a pretty high standard. Hope you are right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom