Oldest running joke or grudge on the boneyard? | The Boneyard

Oldest running joke or grudge on the boneyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
I just found myself cracking up at a reference in another thread to an inside joke/grudge involving Stanley Robinson's athleticism that must be several years old. It got me wondering - can anyone identify the oldest inside joke on the boneyard that is still in usage? JaCkSon comes to mind but there must be something more antiquated.

Personally I don't think "sleek and lithe" gets enough play. Instant classic.

Reaction Score
I just found myself cracking up at a reference in another thread to an inside joke/grudge involving Stanley Robinson's athleticism that must be several years old. It got me wondering - can anyone identify the oldest inside joke on the boneyard that is still in usage? JaCkSon comes to mind but there must be something more antiquated.

Sure. I'll tell you in 20 minutes.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
A list of long-running jokes here would be helpful for (relative) newcomers like myself. I can use context for the most part - doesn't take much to figure out why Hilton Units are a thing - but I'd love the etymology of a lot of these.

Big question for me: Why is BC referred to as BCU?

Reaction Score
Matrim55 said:
A list of long-running jokes here would be helpful for (relative) newcomers like myself. I can use context for the most part - doesn't take much to figure out why Hilton Units are a thing - but I'd love the etymology of a lot of these. Big question for me: Why is BC referred to as BCU?

When the ACC website announced their addition, they referred to them as Boston College University.

Probably an intern or office lackey who screwed up, but it was funny.

Reaction Score
I accidentally caused one. In 2004 someone was a bit disappointed that we didn't beat Syracuse by more than we did (which was maybe an eight-point win over the defending national champs, plenty good enough). I thought that was sort of silly to complain about the margin of victory in a big win, so I responded - with what I thought was patently obvious dripping sarcasm - "Give Syracuse credit. They're a gritty, plucky little team. They'll probably win some games before it is all said and done."

The Syracuse board missed the sarcasm and had a total snit about the lack of respect. When they won the rematch, a whole giant thread went up on their board about how we were gritty and plucky. For years, the two fan bases would disparage the other as gritty or plucky. Until we won 4 ships, anyway.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Hangings of course.
BeneDuke.
We (and by we I mean mostly Fishy) used to reference a woodchipper (starting with the infamous Richard Crafts case) as well deserved punishment, but that seems to have given way to throat punching. Are we seeing a kinder, gentler Fishy?
The mention of Uri Cohen-Mintz whenever the subject of Israeli layers comes up.
Fort the ead! (which was my typo in a game night chat -- should have been For the lead!, but that would never have gone down in infamy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sure. I'll tell you in 20 minutes.
Beat me to it...that's the obvious answer.

I accidentally caused one. In 2004 someone was a bit disappointed that we didn't beat Syracuse by more than we did (which was maybe an eight-point win over the defending national champs, plenty good enough). I thought that was sort of silly to complain about the margin of victory in a big win, so I responded - with what I thought was patently obvious dripping sarcasm - "Give Syracuse credit. They're a gritty, plucky little team. They'll probably win some games before it is all said and done."
The Syracuse board missed the sarcasm and had a total snit about the lack of respect. When they won the rematch, a whole giant thread went up on their board about how we were gritty and plucky. For years, the two fan bases would disparage the other as gritty or plucky. Until we won 4 ships, anyway.
I thought about this one as well. It is one of my favorites.

Reaction Score

I have never encountered a time when a grown man could use either the words plucky or spunky with any degree of legitimacy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hangings of course.
BeneDuke.
We (and by we I mean mostly Fishy) used to reference a woodchipper (starting with the infamous Richard Crafts case) as well deserved punishment, but that seems to have given way to throat punching. Are we seeing a kinder, gentler Fishy?
The mention of Uri Cohen-Mintz whenever the subject of Israeli layers comes up.
Fort the ead! (which was my typo in a game night chat -- should have been For the lead!, but that would never have gone down in infamy.
I forgot about the woodchipper, also Fishy calling people "chucklehead."

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Thank you for your interest in UCONN Football.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember the Leticia Basketballdridge Rules? I think that's where the "Thank you for your interest in UConn basketball" started.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Anyone remember the Leticia Basketballdridge Rules? I think that's where the "Thank you for your interest in UConn basketball" started.

It started before that - prankster aggregated them later.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

Was trying to remember the name of it.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I forgot about the woodchipper, also Fishy calling people "chucklehead."

I totally forgot about the woodchipper. That is a really long time ago.

Reaction Score
When the ACC website announced their addition, they referred to them as Boston College University.

Probably an intern or office lackey who screwed up, but it was funny.

They did it again a year later.

Reaction Score
Uconn93 said:
Denham Brown once scored 111 points in a high school game..but that came later.

That followed on the heels of "Kevin Freeman was high school teammates with Tim Thomas" in the category of tid-bits we heard on every single telecast.

"Elephant in your head" came from an Al Maguire game referring to Ricky's defense, but that one faded with time.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
A Yarder a long time ago wanted the Yard to give him/her a handle. Fandingo was thrown out there by, I think, RichZ. I wrote that the name Fandingo made me imagine a latin lover guy in satin pants. I have no idea why I wrote satin pants. Do they make satin pants?

You may now and then see a satin pants reference.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
"WINNING"

Throat punches

The jurge!!!

BeneDuke was born when Dogfather picked Duke to win in 99 so that he could win free pizza.

Reaction Score
This thread will be over when someone brings up the German's bombing Pearl Harbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom