OT: - Old Westerns | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Old Westerns

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
True Grit (1969) ,when Rooster tells Lucky Ned Pepper to "Fill your hands you son of a bitch". And The Unforgiven with William Munny pursuing Little Bill Daggett for killing Ned Logan and putting his corpse on display. And High Noon where Amy Kane kills Frank Miller. Grace Kelly was the loveliest killer ever!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
True Grit and High noon are two of my favorites. I'll add a few:

The Sons of Katie Elder
The Cowboys
Rio Bravo or Rio Lobo (Pick one)
Unforgiven, is not an "old western" but it sure feels like it. The climatic scene at the end is great cinema.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
McCabe and Mrs Miller The Leonard Cohen songs fit beautifully with the atmosphere of the movie. Now of course I will have to watch it again tonight

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Rio Bravo vs El Dorado?
What's your favorite John Wayne drunk buddy movie?

John Wayne's Coolest Scenes #17: Backdoor Ambush, "El Dorado" (1967)

Can't choose, I'll take 'em both. I just watched ED 2 days ago for the 100th time. :D I like John Wayne's westerns.

I love westerns. I inherited it from my father. Red River and Shane were his two favorites.
Some of my favorites in no certain order: Silverado, The Outlaw Josie Wales, Red River, Chisum, Dodge City, The Tall Men, San Antonio, The Gambler, Broken Arrow, The Shadow Riders, The Wild Bunch, Fort Dobbs, Yellowstone Kelly, Sergeant Rutledge, and a lot of others I could have named. :) I recently watched Red River in color for the first time here on Tubi. Check it out, it's FREE. Another free service is "Westerns on the web (Youtube).

Favorite old TV westerns (1950's & 60's): Cheyene, Lawman, Tombstone Territory, Lone Ranger, Have gun - will travel, Bat Masterson, Wanted dead or alive, Law of the Plainsman, Colt .45, Wagon Train, Tales of Wells Fargo, Broken Arrow (Michael Ansara /John Lupton). :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cimarron (1931). Great scenes of an 'old west' town. Different view than 'High Noon' of what happens when the outlaw gang comes to town.

Reaction Score
You guys like all these because you are too young to remember Hopalong Cassidy!Head bang

1591297102562.png

Reaction Score
I know it's cliche but The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is my favorite. I saw it on the big screen and it was really something. And Once Upon a Time in the West is awesome. Especially after I saw a video telling me what to look for. My favorite "old" western is High Noon. I first watched for a goof back at UConn for .99 since I knew the story from Mad magazine. It wasn't a goof at all, it's a true classic. It's a must see if you haven't already. And Grace Kelly.
Yep, High Noon was one of those I forgot about. Maybe Coops best.

Reaction Score
If I did not have Starz Western Channel and Turner Classic Movies, I would be lost. Anything Clint Eastwood.
It really ticked me off when they changed the package with TCM. I loved some of those movies. The Outlaw Josey Wales or The Unforgiving?

Reaction Score
I was young ish when the cowboys with John Wayne came out. Loved it those sugar cookies the cook made. The ladies bloomers the boys got to see. And One of only a 4 movies John Wayne dies in. Bruce Dern was a great evil character.
Bruce Dern later regretted being in that movie. He said he was the only villain ever to kill John Wayne and he actually thought it hurt his career.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
You guys like all these because you are too young to remember Hopalong Cassidy!Head bang

View attachment 55053
And who could forget Roy and Dale?
Or The Rifleman? Bonanza? Gunsmoke?

Obviously these go against the OP in that they are not movies but when I was growing up, even though I was aware of the 2 movie theaters in the big city, we never had the opportunity to go there. But we did have cable TV.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ok it’s old western night tonight here in Greensboro. Great suggestions. I remember Henry Fonda and Charles Bronson being in a few classics.

and don’t forget that sleeper Pat Garret and Billy the Kid (with the Bob Dylon cameo)

Ps Amazon prime Has solid choices
Ah, Greensboro. I was flying back to Camp Lejuene and sat next to a very attactive young lady from Greensboro and for the next few weekends actually drove over to Greensboro to see her. Then she started telling me how happily her sister was married. Never say something like that to a nineteen year old Marine.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
A Gunfight. Kind of a cult thing, but the movie is great.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tidbits, re: my2 favs...already mentioned on the list.

The Teton Mt backdrop along with Alan Ladd's cool and Jean Arthur's brilliant performance were aspects that attracted me to Shane.

I first visited the range in 1950 with my parents, and it was always one of my most beloved spots. Still is...My photo (at left) is from our 2018-19 ski trip.

Stated climbing there as a (slightly) too old 28 or 9...had a devastating leader fall in '73, which put an end to my daredevil career.

Sid Caesar did a hilarious skit on Shane..."Shame," which I've never been able to find.
So funny...
_______

I was always attracted to the Big Country...Jean Simmons' style and beauty, Burl Ives' gruff mastery, Gregory Peck's overall brilliant performance...but it was Jerome Moross' wonderful score that really caught my imagination..

Years later, during my stay with the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, we received an offer to record the score, which I approved with enthusiasm...for Koch, if I recall with JoAnn Falletta, who I mentored a bit, many years ago.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom