OT: - Old Westerns | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Old Westerns

Reaction Score
Which one do you like best, the one with Yul and Steve or the remake?
Definitely the one with Yul and Steve.
This move creates 7 super stars:
The Seven

Reaction Score
Day of the Outlaw 1959. Great performances by everyone. Robert Ryan great as always, Burl Ives, super, Tina Louise and the tension in the dance hall could be felt. The entire movie was cold, cold, cold, Great movie.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How many times did he ride in and out of town? Deadwood was a classic. Not sure who was greater in their role, Olyphant or McShane.
I would give them equal greatness. There was not a cooler and fearless lawman than T. Olyphant, imo.

Reaction Score
I recently came across the Long Riders with three Carradine Brothers, two Keach brothers, two Quaid brothers, and two Quest brothers. David Carradine's lines with his prostitute girlfriends are the best part of the movie.

Other westerns:
Sargent's three
Rio Bravo
Sons of Katie Elder
Lonesome Dove

Bonanza
Deadwood
(When Deadwood ended, David Milch did John From Cincinnati for one season on HBO. He featured actors from Deadwood and NYPD Blue. Quirky, but very good.)

Reaction Score
You guys like all these because you are too young to remember Hopalong Cassidy!Head bang

View attachment 55053

Now you are talking! After all of those large scale movies with the big time actors, Hoppy, Lucky and Windy and then California, were among my favorites. In addition, Gene Autry and champion, and Roy Rogers and Trigger movies were both my Saturday Matinee and eventually TV favorites. Man that goes back a long way to 1946 and up. Now I have fun watching old Hoppy movies of the 1930's. Any one see John Wayne play "Singing Sandy"?

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Unforgiven (favorite lines)

Saul Rubinek: You killed 5 men, single-handed. Who did you kill first?
Clint: I was lucky in the order. But I've always been lucky when it comes to killin' folks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Unforgiven (1960). Burt Lancaster and Audrey Hepburn. Audie Murphy stars as the little brother. A complicated film about prejudice against Indians.

For those who like war movies, see Audie Murphy as himself in 'To Hell and Back' (1955).

Reaction Score
Here are a bunch of my favorite Westerns. I'm not putting them in a ranking, but I will organize them by directors.

John Ford

Stagecoach
My Darling Clementine
Fort Apache
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Rio Grande
The Searchers

Howard Hawks

Red River
Rio Bravo
El Dorado

Sergio Leone

Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Others

The Westerner (Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan)
The Ox Bow Incident
High Noon
3:10 to Yuma (1957 version)
The Magnificent Seven

My wife would toss in Tin Star, with Henry Fonda and Anthony Perkins, and Two Mules for Sister Sara. Both are very good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Definitely the one with Yul and Steve.
This move creates 7 super stars:
The Seven
K, has in other western had a cast as good as this. Maybe stagecoach, not too many others. My favorite scene was Coburn doing the knife-gun duel. Incidently, James Coburn's father was that great character actor Charles Coburn.

Reaction Score
K, has in other western had a cast as good as this. Maybe stagecoach, not too many others. My favorite scene was Coburn doing the knife-gun duel. Incidently, James Coburn's father was that great character actor Charles Coburn.
Agree 100%. This move makes Yul, Steve McQ, Charles Bronson, James Coburn ...and so many big stars. A legend movie.

I was also a big fan of the TV series The Man from U.N.C.L.E by Robert Vaughn.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Sorry, I won't watch John Wayne movies. Another of my favorites was "Geronimo" where a young Matt Damon played ( I believe ) a reporter from the East. I watched Johnny Mack Brown, Lash LaRue, and The Durango Kid. Loved Lash LaRue and that black suit and whip.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom