Wyatt Earp
The Lefthanded Gun
Magnificent 7 (original)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Little Big Man
Cheyenne Autumn
How The West Was Won

Reaction Score
Incidently, James Coburn's father was that great character actor Charles Coburn.

That is the first I have heard of that. I don't believe that is true. I checked wikipedia, and they don't have that info.

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. This move makes Yul, Steve McQ, Charles Bronson, James Coburn ...and so many big stars. A legend movie.

I was also a big fan of the TV series The Man from U.N.C.L.E by Robert Vaughn.

The Magnificent Seven is famous for its cast of rising actors who became well known stars. Of the bunch of actors in that film, Yul Brynner was the only one of them who was a firmly established star before that film, having appeared in such film productions as The Ten Commandments and The King and I.

By the way, my wife is always commenting on Eli Wallach as the bandit leader in this film, she just loves it. We always get a chuckle from the idea that the bandit leader just cannot come to grips with Yul Brynner's motivation to continue defending the village. As far as film roles go, this Eli Wallach performance in this film is a nice companion piece to his role as Tuco in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
And who could forget Roy and Dale?
Or The Rifleman? Bonanza? Gunsmoke?

Obviously these go against the OP in that they are not movies but when I was growing up, even though I was aware of the 2 movie theaters in the big city, we never had the opportunity to go there. But we did have cable TV.

Don't forget -
Have Gun Will Travel
Maverick
Wanted, Dead or Alive
Cheyenne
Lawman
The Rebel
The Lone Ranger
The Virginian
Wagon Train
Bat Masterson.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kaizen, I would watch the entire movie over ten times just to see the final fifteen minutes.
This trailer so understates how good that movie actually is.

Reaction Score
Not only was a British Invasion group of the sixties named after this movie, but after watching this movie, Buddy Holly wrote the 50s rock hit That'll be the Day.
Thanks for this interesting rock and toll trivia. I picked up some other trivia from this thread. Watching the High Noon clip I recognized the name Sheb Wooley in the cast. This is the same Sheb Wooley who had the big hit Purple People Eater in 1958. Then last night I watched Hoosiers (which someone on the BY mentioned was on) and there’s Sheb playing the high school principal who hires Coach Norman Dale. Isn’t it amazing all the useful stuff you can learn just by hanging around the Boneyard !

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Played left half for Ohio State didn't he?
Sorry, not the same person.

1591376780980.png

Reaction Score
No one has mentioned it (I don't think), but I'll watch "Major Dundee" any time. Charlton Heston is terrific, and Richard Harris (a bit miscast as a Confederate officer) is good, too. Lots of good supporting actors (James Coburn, Michael Anderson Jr., Jim Hutton, etc.) and the underappreciated and scintillating Senta Berger is worth tuning in for all by herself.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Thanks for this interesting rock and toll trivia. I picked up some other trivia from this thread. Watching the High Noon clip I recognized the name Sheb Wooley in the cast. This is the same Sheb Wooley who had the big hit Purple People Eater in 1958. Then last night I watched Hoosiers (which someone on the BY mentioned was on) and there’s Sheb playing the high school principal who hires Coach Norman Dale. Isn’t it amazing all the useful stuff you can learn just by hanging around the Boneyard !
Also had a recurring role on Rawhide, where Clint Eastwood started.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
A classic from Rawhide. How young Clint Eastwood was! The actress who plays Jeanie is Reba Waters.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The Wild Bunch is a 1969 American revisionist Western film directed by Sam Peckinpah and starring William Holden, Robert Ryan, Ernest Borgnine, Edmond O'Brien, Ben Johnson and Warren Oates. The plot concerns an aging outlaw gang on the Mexico–United States border trying to adapt to the changing modern world of 1913. The film was controversial because of its graphic violence and its portrayal of crude men attempting to survive by any available means.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Does that make you a Huckleberry?
FWIW, I was listening to a talk radio show today and the topic, oddly enough, was best westerns. A caller made reference to the 'huckleberry' comment and said a huckleberry was a pallbearer.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
FWIW, I was listening to a talk radio show today and the topic, oddly enough, was best westerns. A caller made reference to the 'huckleberry' comment and said a huckleberry was a pallbearer.
I have been told that the term "huckle bearer" was used in the South as a slang term for pall bearer. Have never heard it used personally. So does Doc Kilmer say huckle bearer rather than huckleberry? I have no clue. Anyway it was a pretty fair movie!

Reaction Score
I have been told that the term "huckle bearer" was used in the South as a slang term for pall bearer. Have never heard it used personally. So does Doc Kilmer say huckle bearer rather than huckleberry? I have no clue. Anyway it was a pretty fair movie!
Fwiw, I was in Tombstone, AZ last Sunday and all the touristy t-shirts spelled it "huckleberry".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom