OT: - Old Movies Trivia | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Old Movies Trivia

Reaction Score
What movie actor served in the US Navy during WWII and was awarded the Silver Star ending his service at the rank of Captain in the US Navy?
Stumped, who? I hope we don't lose this thread given the Dorka transfer announcement.

Reaction Score
Stumped, who? I hope we don't lose this thread given the Dorka transfer announcement.
Can't claim credit for it since I googled it but ....

Douglas Fairbanks Jr ... served as a founding member/organizer of "Beach Jumpers" ended the war as a Navy Captain.

Another actor served with Wild Bill Donovan's OSS working behind the lines with partisans in Italy and the Balkans.

Reaction Score
Can't claim credit for it since I googled it but ....

Douglas Fairbanks Jr ... served as a founding member/organizer of "Beach Jumpers" ended the war as a Navy Captain.

Another actor served with Wild Bill Donovan's OSS working behind the lines with partisans in Italy and the Balkans.
Sterling Hayden.

Reaction Score
Sterling Hayden.
I just knew you would know that one!

I particularly liked the part where he was medically discharged from the army during the war and then enlisted in the Marines under a different name.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I only remember Robert Taylor from Bataan.
My mom's favorite knock-knock joke:

Knock-knock
Who's there?
Robert Taylor who?
Robert Taylor, go to jail

Reaction Score
Many Hollywood actors served in the military during WWII. Name what Branch and what they did.

Clark Gable
Tyrone Power
Jimmy Stewart
Glenn Ford
Charles Bronson (Charles Buchinski)
Charlton Heston

Reaction Score
Stunned the poster with a Ferrari avatar/handle was all over Morricone.
Ennio Morricone arguably the best movie score writer of all time. The Geno Auriema of movie score writers if you will!

Reaction Score
"Fury" - the only star I remember is Spencer Tracey.

I'll give you another one. Two films released in 1931 became horror classics. Name
the films and (tougher) name the actor that had a featured role in both films.
Total guess. Bela Lugosi Dracula and Frankenstein. And the wonderful Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Reaction Score
Warner Bros had a nice group of folks that would show up in lots of their movies. During the 30's, Jack Warner hired many actors that ran to the USA after Hitler took power and before he overran Europe. The movie "Casablanca" was loaded with them. Can you name a few of them?
Conrad Veidt, S Z (“Cuddles”) Sakall, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid, Peter Lorre, Madeleine LaBeau

Reaction Score
What movie actor served in the US Navy during WWII and was awarded the Silver Star ending his service at the rank of Captain in the US Navy?
Just a guess but I’ll say Robert Montgomery. If not Montgomery then maybe Eddie Albert or Ernest Borgnine? I know all of them saw action.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just a guess but I’ll say Robert Montgomery. If not Montgomery then maybe Eddie Albert or Ernest Borgnine? I know all of them saw action.
It was Douglas Fairbanks Jr. He was also wounded in action and was awarded the Silver Star. This also was mentioned above. They had some brave guys from Hollywood in those days.

Reaction Score
It was Douglas Fairbanks Jr. He was also wounded in action and was awarded the Silver Star. This also was mentioned above. They had some brave guys from Hollywood in those days.
Yes they did. Thanks, didn’t know about DF. Eddie Albert should have gotten the MOH for what he did.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Didn't see that one
Might be a bit dated now, but I was just the right age when I saw it. A "coming of age" movie about kids just out of high school. Sweet with laughs.

Reaction Score
Many Hollywood actors served in the military during WWII. Name what Branch and what they did.

Clark Gable
Tyrone Power
Jimmy Stewart
Glenn Ford
Charles Bronson (Charles Buchinski)
Charlton Heston
Clark Gable - US Army Air Corps Gunner - flew missions and then was assigned as an instructor.

Tyrone Power - USMC - trained as a pilot for an RD4 which is a C-47. Flew missions all over the Pacific transporting personnel and supplies to the islands.

Jimmy Stewart - US Army Air Corps - Pilot - highly decorated flying 25 plus missions in Europe. Rose to the rank of LT. Colonel and stayed in the US Air Force Reserves to become a Brigadier General.

Glenn Ford - USMC - don't know exactly what he did.

Charles Bronson - US Army Air Corps - ball gunner in a B-29. Wounded flying a mission over Japan.

Charleton Heston - US Army Air Corps - Radio operator and gunner on B-25 flying missions in the Pacific with dozens of mission.

Reaction Score
Clark Gable - US Army Air Corps Gunner - flew missions and then was assigned as an instructor.

Tyrone Power - USMC - trained as a pilot for an RD4 which is a C-47. Flew missions all over the Pacific transporting personnel and supplies to the islands.

Jimmy Stewart - US Army Air Corps - Pilot - highly decorated flying 25 plus missions in Europe. Rose to the rank of LT. Colonel and stayed in the US Air Force Reserves to become a Brigadier General.

Glenn Ford - USMC - don't know exactly what he did.

Charles Bronson - US Army Air Corps - ball gunner in a B-29. Wounded flying a mission over Japan.

Charleton Heston - US Army Air Corps - Radio operator and gunner on B-25 flying missions in the Pacific with dozens of mission.
Charles Buchinsky aka Bronson: Appreciated him in Pat and Mike that I saw as an adult, and as a very young kid terrified by him and Vincent Price in House of Wax.

Reaction Score
Watched I Want to Live with Susan Hayward the other day. Co-star Simon Oakland who was one of those character actors in the 50’s thru maybe the 80’s. John Hodiak was in Desert Fury and watch him in ‘Somewhere in the Night’ if it’s ever on Turner Classics. John Garfield was a good actor and in a lot of good old flicks but didn’t get the headlines as was the case with other frontliners

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom