OT: - Old Movies Trivia | The Boneyard

OT: Old Movies Trivia

Reaction Score
When I was a very young person in the 1950's, Dad brought home a TV set: a new Philco. Most of the time TV went off the air at 11:00 PM except for Friday, Saturday and Sundays. My Mom and I use to stay up at night together and watch late night movies together that were made during the the 1930's and 1940's. My Mom told me about all the folks who acted in these movies and when she had Alzheimers disease, the old days and these movies was all that she remembered and we use to laugh and play who was in it together. Be that as it may, I would like to start a thread where you introduce either the name of the movie or who was in it and ask us to see if we can respond correctly.

I will start by asking who was in it. This movie was made in 1934 and the title was "Fury". Who were the top stars?

If you are fan of Turner Classic Movies, you will know this answer.

Reaction Score
Well, "Black Fury" is blocking everything else out for me, though "Fury" seems familiar. Black Fury was Paul Muni, William Gargan, J Carrol Nash, Barton McLain. I can't think of a fifth actor. Anne Nagel? I do know that its director was one of my favorites: Michael Curtiz (Casablanca, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Adventures of Robin Hood, Captain Blood).

Reaction Score
"Fury" - the only star I remember is Spencer Tracey.

I'll give you another one. Two films released in 1931 became horror classics. Name
the films and (tougher) name the actor that had a featured role in both films.

Reaction Score

I'll give you another one. Two films released in 1931 became horror classics. Name
Ah, OK, that was 1936. Directed by the great Fritz Lang. As far as the two 1931 horror films and the common actor, you'll have to up your game for me. I'm a freak of nature on this stuff.

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
When I was a very young person in the 1950's, Dad brought home a TV set: a new Philco. Most of the time TV went off the air at 11:00 PM except for Friday, Saturday and Sundays. My Mom and I use to stay up at night together and watch late night movies together that were made during the the 1930's and 1940's. My Mom told me about all the folks who acted in these movies and when she had Alzheimers disease, the old days and these movies was all that she remembered and we use to laugh and play who was in it together. Be that as it may, I would like to start a thread where you introduce either the name of the movie or who was in it and ask us to see if we can respond correctly.

I will start by asking who was in it. This movie was made in 1934 and the title was "Fury". Who were the top stars?

Spencer Tracy was in a movie called "Fury" but I think it was a little later than 1934. It was on TCM recently as part of the 30 Days of Oscar.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Dracula with Bela Lugosi, and Frankenstein with Boris Karloff.

Name the three classics starring (Connecticut's own) Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant released between 1938 and 1940.

Reaction Score
Name the three classics starring (Connecticut's own) Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant released between 1938 and 1940.
Clue: two of them by the same director and both in his identifiable wheelhouse.

Reaction Score
Hepburn/Grant films I recall are Philadelphia Story, Holiday, and a film with Hepburn
masquerading as a boy part of the time whose name I can't recall. The director of the
first two was George Cukor I think.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hepburn/Grant films I recall are Philadelphia Story, Holiday, and a film with Hepburn
masquerading as a boy part of the time whose name I can't recall. The director of the
first two was George Cukor I think.
I was thinking "Bringing up Baby" but I'm not sure if that fits the time frame.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
a film with Hepburn
masquerading as a boy part of the time whose name I can't recall

You may be thinking of a slightly earlier film, Sylvia Scarlett (1936?), which was also directed by Cukor. A very interesting film, but almost nipped her career in the bud, not appreciated on its release.

Reaction Score
You may be thinking of a slightly earlier film, Sylvia Scarlett (1936?), which was also directed by Cukor. A very interesting film, but almost nipped her career in the bud, not appreciated on its release.
Yes, that's right. So I guess the other film must be Bringing up Baby.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
As a child of the fifties, late night Friday and Saturday meant old horror movies, Shock Theater, hosted by Zacherle. My Mom worked night shift, she would check to see if I was asleep before she left for work. I would fake being asleep, and get up and turn on the TV as soon as she left. Those were the good old days. Here's a video for flavor. For a trivia question, who played the Bride of Frankenstein?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

I remember Walter Brennan being in it. And Tracy of course.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
As a child of the fifties, late night Friday and Saturday meant old horror movies, Shock Theater, hosted by Zacherle. My Mom worked night shift, she would check to see if I was asleep before she left for work. I would fake being asleep, and get up and turn on the TV as soon as she left. Those were the good old days. Here's a video for flavor. For a trivia question, who played the Bride of Frankenstein?

Elsa Lanchester?

Reaction Score
there was actually a spanish version dracula 1931 made along with a 1931 maltese falcon

btw, the 1955 the night of the hunter is a must-see for film aficionados

there is a link btw the 1955 tnoth and the 1931 maltese falcon

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Dracula with Bela Lugosi, and Frankenstein with Boris Karloff.

Holiday, Bringing Up Baby, and The Philadelphia Story. All great, but Baby was so chock full of character actors who made it superb. One of the funniest movies ever. Thanks for reminding me!

Reaction Score
Dracula with Bela Lugosi, and Frankenstein with Boris Karloff
Some connections: After Dracula finished filming, Lugosi was also chosen to play the monster in Frankenstein. The studio forced it on him; he didn't want the part. But a screen test of the makeup (a shoddy false start in the final makeup) was so awful the studio took Lugosi off the project (publicity material featuring Lugosi had already been produced) and cast the virtually unknown Karloff. Lugosi did later play the role in Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman, but only for a few minutes onscreen as his part was drastically cut and stuntmen did a lot of what was left.

Reaction Score
there is a link btw the 1955 tnoth and the 1931 maltese falcon
You stumped me. I got nuthin'.

EDIT: OK, fair enough. While Stanley Cortez is not a huge name, his cinematography was a big deal in Night of the Hunter and the connection is a good question. But you've still got to name the actor who was assistant to Dr. Frankenstein AND Count Dracula, AND assistant to Gutman in the 1931 version of The Maltese Falcon to get any real credentials here.

However, the actor who played Wilmer in the 1931 version of Maltese Falcon (a role more famously played years later by Elisha Cook, Jr. in the Humphrey Bogart version) is the SAME elusive actor we're still looking for as the actor common to both Dracula and Frankenstein in an earlier and yet-unanswered question.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ricardo cortez played sam spade

his brother stanley was the filmotographer for the night of the hunter and before that he did a classic orson welles film the magnificent ambersons

Reaction Score
You stumped me. I got nuthin'.

However, the actor who played Wilmer in the 1931 version of Maltese Falcon (a role more famously played years later by Elisha Cook, Jr. in the Humphrey Bogart version) is the SAME elusive actor we're still looking for as the actor common to both Dracula and Frankenstein in an earlier and yet-unanswered question.
Elisha Cooke also played a good part in The Big Sleep. He's one of the better character actors, a great genre I totally miss.

BTW - Please keep the "oldies" coming. I love them and - no disrespect intended - sure beats speculating as to whether Geno/UCONN system no longer works.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom