OT: - Old Movies Trivia | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Old Movies Trivia

Reaction Score
What comedy was Elsa Lanchester in along with Peter Ustinov?
Stumped me on that one, but who was she married to, and what was their most famous film together?

Reaction Score
who was she married to, and what was their most famous film together?
Well I'm a huge fan of Tales of Manhattan (1942?) and The Big Clock (1948) but I'll give the clue that the film you're looking for is a bit later.

Reaction Score
What western actor, very early in his career, refused to have his nose surgically altered to appear less menacing to audiences....?

The actor took a lesser non speaking role in this 1952 film, and years later became a major western star in his own right.

Reaction Score
Well I'm a huge fan of Tales of Manhattan (1942?) and The Big Clock (1948) but I'll give the clue that the film you're looking for is a bit later.
Superb sleeper of a film, and what an ensemble of stars! EGR's performance was dynamite. That film also has some wonderful supporting cast scene stealers.

Reaction Score
Tracy was the lead male actor. The lead female actor who actually had top billing was Sylvia Sydney. In what movies did Tracy win the Academy Award?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
What western actor, very early in his career, refused to have his nose surgically altered to appear less menacing to audiences....?

The actor took a lesser non speaking role in this 1952 film, and years later became a major western star in his own right.
I’m thinking Lee van Cleef. No idea about the 1952 film.

Reaction Score
Tracy was the lead male actor. The lead female actor who actually had top billing was Sylvia Sydney. In what movies did Tracy win the Academy Award?
Boys Town & Captains Courageous in 2 successive years, I believe. Who was the female actress who won 2 in successive years and in which films?

Reaction Score
Boys Town & Captains Courageous in 2 successive years, I believe. Who was the female actress who won 2 in successive years and in which films?
Dang, I can't think of her name. She's not as well remembered as a lot of the older stars. I think either her first or last name begins with an "L"

Reaction Score
It has to be either Bette Davis or Katherine Hepburn but I do no know their movies.

Reaction Score
I know she was in "Murder by Death", but Peter Ustinov wasn't in that one (though Peter Sellers was)

Reaction Score
I’m thinking Lee van Cleef. No idea about the 1952 film.

wasn't the 1952 film

High Noon?
Very good guys- it was Lee Van Cleef and the film was High Noon. It was LVC's first ever role in a western. Not giving in to the demand for cosmetic nose surgery proved very shrewd and wise for his career. In 1965 Sergio Leone remembered him for that hawk like look and cast him as one of the two main leads opposite Clint Eastwood in "For a Few Dollars More". The rest, as they say, is history.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Blackbeard's Ghost. Also starred Suzanne Pleshette, one of my favorite ladies.

Reaction Score
Very good guys- it was Lee Van Cleef and the film was High Noon. It was LVC's first ever role in a western. Not giving in to the demand for cosmetic nose surgery proved very shrewd and wise for his career. In 1965 Sergio Leone remembered him for that hawk like look and cast him as one of the two main leads opposite Clint Eastwood in "For a Few Dollars More". The rest, as they say, is history.
And The Good Bad and Ugly. For Bonus points what was the common denominator in the Spaghetti Westerns, Once Upon a Time in the West, Once Upon a Time in America, and Cinema Paradiso?

Reaction Score
And The Good Bad and Ugly. For Bonus points what was the common denominator in the Spaghetti Westerns, Once Upon a Time in the West, Once Upon a Time in America, and Cinema Paradiso?
Ennio Morricone - his score for Cinema Paradiso is beautiful

Reaction Score
Very well done; my only disagreement is that all the scores were terrific. Still waiting for the other answer (the actress).
I think her name was Louise Rainer or Ranier, and that her wins were in the late 20's or early 30's. I've never seen her work, so she doesn't pop into my head easily

Reaction Score
And in an interesting tie-in, in Cinema Paradiso, the character Alfredo quotes Spencer Tracy in "Fury", which started this thread

Reaction Score
Superb sleeper of a film [Tales of Manhattan], and what an ensemble of stars! EGR's performance was dynamite. That film also has some wonderful supporting cast scene stealers.
When I was growing up they never showed the WC Fields segment on TV (I think it may have been cut from the film in general distribution [or a re-release], but I'm vague on that). Anyway, a number of years ago I got a DVD that included the segment; not great Fields, but as an obsessive I needed to have it.

Reaction Score
I think her name was Louise Rainer or Ranier, and that her wins were in the late 20's or early 30's. I've never seen her work, so she doesn't pop into my head easily
Luise Rainer (spell check needed) in The Great Ziegfeld and The Good Earth.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Very well done; my only disagreement is that all the scores were terrific. Still waiting for the other answer (the actress).
Kate Hepburn won back to back best actress awards in 1967 and 1968. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and The Lion in Winter. If that is the "actress" question I think you mean.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom